“Great Price, Great Location, Fantastic Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ilen Street, Skibbereen, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skibbereen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portsmouth
“Great Price, Great Location, Fantastic Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I arrived into Skibbereen and could not find a guesthouse availible, so I called the hotel and after discussing my requirements I was given a Very good rate. My initial room was quite small but fine for a single person. After 2days elsewhere I checked back in and they remembered me and gave me my same rates and upgraded my room and it was a lot bigger. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fantastic, You could pretty much have everything and anything listed. When breakfast was busy I found I was overlooked for about 15min and other people sat nearer the staff were constantly being served before me, however after going and asking to be served everything was great.
The Bar was a good place for a drink or to take in one of the daily meal specials.
The location was perfect, right in the centre of town so after exploring West Cork you could park up in the carpark and walk into town for a well deserved Guinness.

I would stay here again

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
WCORK, Front Office Manager at West Cork Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind comments, and my apologies that you were overlooked during breakfast service. We hope you will come back to see us again soon,

Edel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I spent a couple of nights at the West Cork with my 13-year old daughter; I know the area very well having visited regularly over a period of many years, but this was my first stay at the hotel. After booking online I received a very friendly confirmation email, and when we arrived we were greeted with the same warmth and informality. We were a bit early for check-in, so were given an alternative room which was ready; it was clean and modern, very quiet, and had a limited but pretty view over the river and beyond. The bathroom was spotless - always a key factor in my assessment - and the bath and shower were both excellent. The room was a bit warm at night (the weather was unexpectedly mild after the long cold winter) but I turned the radiator off and opened the window slightly and we were quite comfortable.
We ate in the hotel dining room both nights, and the menu offered an excellent choice of courses with emphasis on fresh seafood and other local products. I thought the standard of cuisine and presentation was superb, and the service friendly, prompt and unobtrusive - everything you could want from a good restaurant. My daughter is a fussy eater (!) but was catered for without difficulty and with the same cheerful, easy-going attitude which made it such a pleasure to stay here.
Irish hospitality is legendary and County Cork is one of the friendliest places I know. The West Cork lived up to all my expectations in this respect, and I recommend it without hesitation. I would describe it as comfortable rather than posh, and there is some refurbishment still under way, but there was genuinely nothing to complain about.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
So glad you and your daughter enjoyed your stay - hopefully you'll come back to see the finished product once our renovations are completed, hoping to finish our bar end of April!
See you soon,
Edel O'Donovan
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

I was visiting for two nights to do a sponsored cycle in the area and booked late. Was told the hotel was full but received a phone call a few hours later to be told of a cancellation - happy days! I arrived late during atrocious weather and received a lovely welcome. My room was probably the furthest one from reception and was smallish but fine for one. The directions to it would have been easier with a sat-nav... (2nd night I got lost and was trying to enter the wrong room before I copped my mistake). I went on my cycle the next day and arrived back absolutely soaking wet. Luckily, the staff were very sympathetic and arranged for an extra heater for my room to enable me to dry my cycle gear. I had food in the bar the first night and my breakfast in the restaurant. Both were excellent and great portions. I'm going back in July '11 with family and if I'm looked after half as well I'll be a very happy man.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

First of all I have stayed here before and enjoyed the experience but just to warn you it is not glamouress. Who wants fluff and bother in the beautiful wilds of west Cork anyways? However it is imbued with west Cork hospitality and graciousness that cannot be bought in a Hilton, (in which I must stay frequently). It is wonderful to see the majority of reviews on this site agree. The front desk staff especially Adele Margaret and Karen are fantastic and very helpful in finding your way around or suggesting sites to see. Ann Marie is a godsend for sorting you out for things needed and always very happy to see you. It is wonderful to be remembered and appreciated and this little gem is the one to do it! A
special shout out to Lukas in the pub as he's your man for a well pulled pint. The food is wonderful and locally sourced for that extra lovely touch of authenticity. I and my family shall return. Again and again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind comments, it is nice to be appreciated I have passed your comments on to our staff - hopefully see you again soon!
Edel
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

superb stay in this lovely hotel in january. Food was fantastic and staff were most helpful throughout our stay. will be back!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

Good clean place, staff friendly and welcoming prices are fair, will return again

• Stayed February 2010
Dunboyne, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

We had stayed here ten years ago and not been impressed but on returning recently we loved it. The staff all very welcoming, the decor updated and the prices were lower than ten years ago. Alli in €59 euro for room with b&b for 2 and the breakfast was excellent. Very happy people.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to West Cork Hotel? Share your experiences!