“parknasilla - heaven!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
dublin, ireland
“parknasilla - heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We spent a week here in one of Parknasilla's 3 bedroomed Woodland Villas and it was one of the best holidays we've had. The resort is almost 1 hour from Killarney and almost 30 mins from Kenmare, which does make it a little hard to get to but boy is it worth it! The views that greet you when you arrive at the hotel will take your breath away. The hotel itself is a little old-fashioned but not as tired as alluded by several TA reviewers. We can't comment on the hotel rooms as we didn't stay in them, but the villas are well-equipped, comfortable and quite spacious. There was a welcome pack on our arrival which included milk, eggs, cheese, butter, wine, fruit, bread. We weren't informed of this so we came overly prepared. My other gripe would be that the floors could have done with a mop as it was quite dusty. The villas which face the carpark aren't as private as the ones that face the woods. Our holiday was packed with outdoor activities like cycling, tennis and long walks by the sea. The hotel is surrounded by absolutely stunning grounds with several trails that lead to islands and beaches - the views were absolutely gorgeous. And when the weather is not cooperating, there is the pool with 2 outdoor jacuzzis which overlook Kenmare Bay, and the spa was really nice too. The service was generally welcoming with the exception of a few of the restaurant staff. Staying in the villas gave us the option of cooking - the hotel only has one restaurant and Sneem is a small village with limited dining options. We are looking forward to returning next year!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

this is a very special hotel, it has a wonderfull friendly atmosphere. the staff are very friendly, and good craic. the dining room is elegant and atmospheric,and the food is excellent . we stayed in a apartment on the estate,excellent quality and very good value, if you have kids would recommend this option.our kids loved jumping of the pier and the freedom of roaming around the estate. this hotel is a legend and remins me of tir nan og . the grounds are superb with breath taking walks. there are some restrictions, children are not allowed in the pool after 5, but the staff are flexible. our kids really enjoyed jumping off the pier and then relaxing in the hot tubs whilst having a chat with their frinds whilst taking in the breath taking scenery.if you enjoy good craic, great service,atmosphere and unbelievable scenery and walks, then parknisilla is for you.

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stayed in Parknasilla for a few nights on the August bank hol weekend and were disappointed with it. The grounds are fantastic but the hotel itself is still quite run down - mixture of done up areas beside peeling paint on doors and windows in the diningroom, quite tatty furniture and even a musty smell in places and we felt not up to a 5 star offering. Room was quite spacious but did not have a safe which is a big miss these days. Also no gown or slippers were provided. I think the hotel hasn't decided whether or not it wants to be a child friendly hotel. It allows sittings up to 7pm with small children in the restaurant so we did that sitting as we had a small baby with us, but were all put down one end of the diningroom and were provided with our food so quickly we were out of the restaurant just after 8! We wouldn't eat there again, definitely felt like a second class citizen. Breakfast is mainly buffet with a good selection. I had a treatment in the spa and while the facial was nice, the treatment rooms must be under the reception area and you can hear people walking up and down the whole time although this was slightly masked by the piped music in the spa which was very loud. Children in the leisure centre were not stopped from using the hot tubs and neither were the children hours in the pool enforced. Grounds are fab and local village of Sneem is lovely. Overall it is a nice hotel with friendly staff but not worth 5 star rates.

Limerick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I travelled recently to Parknasilla with my partner and having read some of the comments I was a bit dubious. However, I was pleasantly surprised. We booked a standard Mountain View room which was very clean and nicely presented, it is not what I would call a 'New' room but I would not expect it from a hotel which has been running for such a long time, and I love the character of an older hotel. Besides, there is so much to do that we hardly spent any time there! The first day my other half headed off for a morning of golf and I went for a bit of pampering in the Spa - very very nice! Then it was out for a relaxing stroll, there is a comprehensive map of the resorts walks, and you can be pointed in the right direction by the very efficient concierge! We also used the tennis courts and went horse-riding on our second day, so much to do and so little time!! The staff were very helpful and very pleasant. We had dinner in the restaurant on both nights - we were going to go out one of the nights but haven eaten the first night we just had to go back for another night. The food was divine! - if you were to try one dish I would say try the vegetarian risotto on the menu - it is to die for!!!!!!! If you are like me and enjoy great service, history and wonderful surroundings then Parknasilla is the place for you!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ennis, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

This is a beautiful old-world hotel in a beautiful setting that strives to create a relaxed atmosphere. However, for the price you pay and the standards it obviously would like to achieve, it needs work.
I would love this hotel continue to prosper and see plenty of repeat business.
On three occasions I saw the staff being plain ignorant to visitors and I wondered if management even bothers to train them in the hospitality business. Having said that, some of the staff were trying hard to be pleasant and it was appreciated.
Some of the breakfast buffet was not cooked properly.
There were small specks of 'dirt' in the sugar at the breakfast table.
The toilet flusher in my room was not good enough to flush away tissues except after multiple attempts so I didn't even use it for anything else. I very reasonably mentioned this at reception and I found a plunger waiting beside the toilet later. They expected me to plunge my way out of any messes rather than fix the thing. I suspect the toilet was modified for low water usage but it's just modified beyond practical use.
The room was very, very basic for the price you pay. I travel in the US a lot and every single budget hotel I stay in there is nicer than the room we had at the Parknasilla. Maybe other rooms are nicer??
These would not be major issues in a run-of-the-mill hotel but in the Parknasilla, I just felt I had been screwed out of a lot of money. The hotel seems to completely rely on the surrounding scenery and the history. Sadly, just not good enough!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

I'm just back from 3 nights staying in the Lodges at the Parknasilla Hotel. First of all, the Lodges themselves are absolutely fabulous. Very modern, and very comfortable. We had three lodges, and were paying around €2,000 altogether. The houses were facing each other, and we felt very secure allowing the five kids with us (aged 2-6) roam around from house to house.
On a negative note, I was disappointed, that there was no 'welcome pack' on arrival - a loaf of bread and carton of milk per house wouldn't kill them. And on top of that, we had a list of the cost of extra items - €5 for any miscellaneous items we requested - including extra toilet paper!!! I would have expected that for 2k we would have at least been provided with unlimited bog roll! I also tried to use the internet on the TV, but was asked to pay €5. Our TV stopped working altogether then, and it took a few hours and a few calls to get someone down to fix it. BUT we had commented before that how good the service was, and how quick they were to get back to us, so maybe that was just a busy time.
The hotel runs a kids club from 6.30 - 8pm, with no charge, which was great.
We ate dinner in the restaurant one of the nights, and I didn't feel it lived up to expectations - we had been told it was one of the top restaurants around. The food itself was excellent, but the service was a bit shoddy. We didn't get our wine until after our starters had arrived. And the dining room itself was a bit bare, not very welcoming.
Finally, we had a babysitter for two nights, and she was superb (Marian I think). Two of the kids in our group are very nervous about staying with a babysitter. We were amazed when we didn't get a call that they were upset. It turns out they did get upset, but the babysitter managed to calm them down, and distract them. They were sound asleep when we arrived back. Worth her weight in gold. And my four yr old nephew thought she was 'beautiful'.
For a special occasion, such as a big family get-together, I would recommend this hotel, particularly the Lodges.

Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed here August bank holiday weekend with my other half for a relaxing, romantic break. The location is spectacular and the walks are beautifully laid out, and it really is ideal for some time out.
We were met by 2 porters who while pleasant, carried out bags literally in the door then hovered while we checked in, then another porter came to assist us so 3 porters negotiated down to 2 to carry small light bags to our room - one carried a laptop bag..i know there is recession but seriously i am not going to tip for someone to carry a laptop bag which we wanted to carry ourselves anyway.
The room was pretty basic and very dated (not in a characterful way!). The bathroom was very 1970's - nasty tiles and a bidet and old bath (again not in a characterful way!). While the room was large it was very "holiday inn" - crappy old t.v. - no extra's.
My main grip was the service in the bar and restaurant. The bar waiting staff seemed to disappear from the floor and i waited at the bar for ages, a man at the bar kept drawing the barman's attention towards me and he was almost rude in his response. Bertie Ahern and his clan had arrived in the bar and it seemed like all us plebs were forgotten - while we all know Bertie and his brown envelopes i understood that was a one way street so the staff may have been wasting their time!
At dinner Sat night, the food was lovely and the dining area was gorgeous but i was in shock when told that they were not going to serve tea/coffee as "it's very busy tonight" - the dining area was half empty and even if it wasn't there is NO excuse for this!!! They offered to serve coffee in the bar but for us who like out coffee with desert that isn't on.
Brekkie had a good spread but the cooked dinner was very rubbery and greasy and the black pudding was vile.. lovely fruit tho.
Hot tub and pool etc lovely, lots and lots of kiddies til 5.
All in all i was disappointed, we were considering this as a wedding venue and there is no way we would now.
Shame - lovely location if it could be overhalled and shake up the management.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!