“Relaxation haven” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Relaxation haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

If your looking for total relaxation and tranquility, stay in the Parknasilla Resort. My husband and i stayed in August and were taken away by the breath taking views surrounding the hotel.
on arrival we were greeted by the concierge as if we knew him personally!!!
The downside was not being able to have a glass of wine with dinner due to the outrageouly overpriced menu. However i did indulge on a facial given by Elaine at the beautiful spa which believe me was worth every single penny and left me in a deep state of relaxation for the whole day! While i soaked up the atmosphere in their relaxation room my husband found it hard to the leave the outdoor hot tubs which are an amazing experience in the rain.
Overall we were delighted with this hotel but overpriced in some respects.

• Liked — Spa and Views
  • Disliked — prices
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

We stayed in the 3 bedroom lodges in the hotel grounds. The quality is outstanding. I could not find anything negative to say about them. There were even dishwasher tablets and washing machine tablets there for us. The only fault is that they are some distance from the hotel and while we walked miles around the wonderful grounds we were lazy enough to drive to the hotel. The hotel is lovely with very friendly staff and the spa facilities are outstanding. We took a guided walk around the grounds with the excellent Martina - I recommend this - it brought a lovely human aspect to the hotel and grounds. The only way the hotel is let down is the quality of the food and the price of wine. My husband and myself got a great laugh when we discovered that a vodka and tonic and a (excellent) pint of guinness was as cheap as the cheapest glass of wine!

• Liked — In the Villas - everything
  • Disliked — In the hotel - the food
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Limerick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

29th-31st Aug '08 - My husband and I are just after returning from a weekend away in Parknasilla which was for a special occasion and we were both left more than a bit disappointed witht the whole place. no matter what you do you can't fault the setting its absolutely stunning but the hotel is very dated and overall totally over priced. when we arrived after a long and tiresome journey we were greeted very warmly by the porter and receptionist. (they could do with a little sign to let you know where reception is as there's a side door and the main entrance can't be seen upon arrival.) Our room was nice with a lovely view on the 2nd floor.. if your on the 1st floor there's NO VIEW whatsoever! The bathroom could do with some modernisation & as my husband put it ' the shower must have been designed for a hobbit!' as I even found I had to bend my head back so far to wash my hair that I got dizzy! Have to say though the range of toiletries and little vanity packs etc was extremely good, even had conditioner. But as for the tea/coffee making facilities they could do with being a little better for a 4star - not even a biscuit! Alas this wasn't the only complaint we had on a food factor.. there's no way of getting food except for room service or the extremely over priced and definitely not worth the trouble hotel restaurant... My husband nearly choked on the half a baby chicken that arrived on some weird risotto for the almost €30 price tag.. we couldn't believe how little food we got for the crazy price we were expected to pay.. plus there's so many staff that they're tripping over each other and watching your every move so that they can whip your plate away for something to do never mind that they forget our wine and when we did finally get it it was the wrong wine, we didn;t notice until the bill came & we were served a wine much more expensive than what we had chosen. Try the Sacre Coer restaurant in Sneem village the food is spectacular and reasonably priced - book a table their very busy! The hotel restaurant is really trying to be something its not. Breakfast is just the normal - no attempt to offer anything out of the ordinary. Definitely not what you'd expect from a 4star hotel. And we were given the same table as the night before at dinner which was the only table without a view... this really annoyed my hubby..The Spa was fantastic and our massages were great, definitely worth a visit. the thermal area is just ok. The floor is very slippy even with the slippers on so be careful. It could have done with some maintainence - sauna out of order, no towels, wet floors and no one around to mop up or keep it tidy and the smell... don;t know if it was seaweed or some bad smell from the sewage but it was everywhere except the relaxation area in the spa. I'm normally the one who complains but all the above has been noticed by my husband so it definitely was bad! On the up side, the rooms are large and spacious with lovely seats with foot stools to relax in and look out at the beautiful view even with the rain falling. The walks and activities are wonderful. weekend entertainment is good - same group each night so can get a bit boring.. Snooker table still has tear in it and TV reception is still crap. but we spent most of our time out doors or in the spa so we didn;t mind. There's no safe in the room but lockers are available from spa reception. bathrobes & slippers in all rooms. No fridge. Walking down to the spa through the reception area in your robes is a bit weird but not uncomfortable as everyone has to do it! We came home relaxed and refreshed - even if very light in the pocket. Don't think we'll go back again, it's a horrendous drive over the kerry mountains and just doesn't offer the service you'd expect from a luxury 4 star. loved the friendly staff except the Maitre De - he's just a bit too false... If you get a good deal it's worth a visit otherwise stay away!

• Liked — The views & tranquility.
  • Disliked — Everything over priced.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

My boyfriend & I stayed in the Parknasilla for 1 night a few weeks ago. We heard the hotel had been recently renovated & were expecting good things!

Unfortunately it seems they renovated part of the hotel only - and the room we were in, was clearly not recently renovated.

The room was very dated and badly in need of being painted, The bathroom was especially shoddy, with very old tiles, paint, bath, shelves etc.... We were situated on the ground floor with no view whatsoever, except people passing directly outside the window, meaning we had to keep the curtains closed.

The flex on the hairdryer (which couldn't be removed from the drawer) was so short, you nearly had to kneel down on the floor to use it properly. Even the towels were of very poor quality, for hotel standards. There was a full length mirror coming off the wall in our room, which when opened back led to a closet with pipes etc... that should clearly have been closed off. Furthermore the television reception was terrible, most of the channels were fuzzy & we could not fix it.

The spa / swimmng pool was only adequate. The stairs leading to it were in the main reception area, which means that all guests coming to & from this area have to walk through the main entrance / reception area in their bathrobes / slippers etc...

To top it all off, there was NO HOT WATER the following morning in the shower. We mentioned this at check out & got a small discount. As for the rest of the hotel, there didn't seem to be any point in complaining about the dated rooms & decor, as they are clearly aware of this themselves.

The decking outside the hotel & view over the bay was lovely, but unfortunately was of no use to us, seeing as it was raining the whole time we were there.

• Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
waterford eire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

After reading the reviews just days before we left it was with a collective sigh of relief that we inspected our bedroon. We stayed with our two children aged 19 and 21 for three nights recently. Thankfully overall a positive experience. Would have liked a bit more attention to detail. The socket for the hair drier didnt work and being on the ground floor they should have had a net curtain on the window. Though a lot smaller the lads had no problem with their room. The tv channels were a hit and miss. One night we had none at all. On their web site it stated there was internet access in the bed rooms which wasnt there. The cloth on the snooker table was torn and when we asked for ping pong balls we were told they were waiting to come in. We went and bought our own. Considering the weather is so bad they should really have made an effort in that area. On our second morning at breakfast we were left waiting for tea with the result we were almost finished when it did arrive. On our third morning we had to queue 15 mins for breakfast. The pool and thermal suites were brilliant. The location is fab. Staff pleasant and friendly.

Stayed August 2008
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

I booked a night in a junior suite as a treat for myself and my wife for a romantic night away. I found the room clean and well kitted out, but then again I was paying over 300 euro, so was expecting excellence. On the good points, the hotel itself is very old worldly and ornate with really excellent grounds for walking in and a spectacular setting. The pool and sauna are also nice, and the wife especially liked the spa facilities. There were 2 main let downs. First the lobby and public areas were overrun with children running around screaming, which was not the quite getaway we wanted (I would advise couples and older people to avoid this hotel). Second, the service was very patchy; I would recommend avoiding the restaurant especially, which is grossly over-priced with hopeless waiting staff and service and mediocre food. To summarise, nice hotel but certainly not worth the money.

• Liked — Scenary and location
  • Disliked — Hoardes of screaming kids
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kenmare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

Stayed here for one night after a family occasion it was fantastic from the seamless arranging of the event to the genuinely beautiful rooms. I organized a surprise dinner for my parents recently I wanted somewhere special and luxurious. I was actually not going to post a review as I had such a good time I would not have believed that anyone could have a bad word to say I was writing about another place and decided to see the Parknasilla page and could not really believe the negative reviews. I felt it necessary to praise the team there for the great experience we had.

I began to arrange this event in March firstly I spoke with the manager, Klaus expecting that he would put me in touch with an events person or a restaurant manager as our booking was only for 10 and we would only need 5 rooms but he was amazing and gave me all the time and information I needed, even though I did not book that day with him I knew from his attitude and approach that I would have the evening in that hotel such was his way.

After many emails and phone calls the night arrived and we checked in around6pm greeted at the door by Denis we were all checked in and sipping on cool drinks within 20 minutes!! The new rooms are really nice and to be fair they are far ahead of the old rooms but as Klaus explained this is an ongoing project and they are working hard every winter to develop a further area. Having been on the web site and seeing the rooms I was delighted to pay and get the sea view rooms for my family but on the overall scheme of things I would say the mountain views represent value for money too at those rates.

We agreed to meet in the bar at 8pm and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine before dinner. The meal was served in the main part of the restaurant due to the size of our party and in fairness I could not have been happier. The entire evening was a success from the professional understated service to the amazing food.

The next morning we arose a little later than normal to a busy restaurant the staff were excellent and got us our table from the previous night! Which we were not expecting! Once again the service and the food were top class.

Overall I would say that they have done a great job to this legend of Irish Hotels!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — departing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!