“Worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Province of Munster, Ireland
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here for night recently. The hotel is situated in approx 500 acres of woodland I think. It's definitely a place you go to and stay on the grounds for your time there. Brilliant walks there. We easily spent over an hour on both days walking around the grounds. Enjoyed it. Went to spa, it was good, my other half thought it was best massage he ever had in a spa. Relaxation room is disappointing though, looking out through a net curtain at a wall. Lovely drinks, yogurt after treatment though. We had dinner that night, staff very friendly and I noticed that there was a good relationship between them. Food was very good, we enjoyed it. The only disappointing part was the room, very outdated for 5 stars. Would recommend booking a new room if possible.Overall well worth a visit but rooms are a let down and most certainly not 5 stars. Needs a revamp in that department. Would go again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear E W

To begin, I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are always delighted to receive feedback on how we are doing to ensure that we keep our standards high. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us. The hotel itself is indeed situated on 500 acres of woodland with 7 mapped walks to enjoy. Mike our head gardener and his team work tirelessly all year long to ensure that our grounds are in immaculate condition for our guests to enjoy. I will pass on your compliments to them.

I was also pleased to hear you enjoyed our Spa and Restaurant also. The staff at Parknasilla are one of the most valuable assets the hotel has and they take true pride in the work that they do, welcoming guests to the hotel, year after year. They will be happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

I feel the need to mention that Parknasilla is actually a four star hotel, however this should have
no impact on your experiences. We have refurbished many of the rooms in the hotel with further work scheduled for next winter. This work is being carried out to ensure that we maintain a very high standard of accommodation within the resort and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your experiences with us. If you would like to discuss any element of your stay in further detail, don't hesitate to contact me directly on 064 66 75600.

Ruth O' Sullivan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Love this place, comfortable, very friendly, fantastic walks, lovely food. If you want a break away from it all this is the place. Probably the first time we didn't leave the grounds of a hotel for a whole weekend. The special offers are great value for money.
There is a downside, the spa needs some money spent on it, definitely needs an upgrade.
The ambiance is lovely here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Constant_Movers

Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience with us. I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I am glad that you enjoyed our mapped walks, food and our friendly staff members. I will be sure to share your praise with them all.

I was disappointed to read that you were not pleased with our Spa. This is unusual as we generally receive great feedback but I will be sure to inform Christine our Spa Manager and her team.

Again, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I took my wife to Parknasilla for her birthday over the Weekend. Even though the Hotel only opened on Friday for the new season , it was as if they had been opened all through the winter. Everything was top class & there was a lovely freshness around the place after the closed season. It is obvious that the new management team are continually upgrading the facilities & I have no doubt that before long they will achieve the 5 Star Status that they so well deserve. We had a really enjoyable stay & look forward to many more return visits.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Cidonasub,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. It was a pleasure to read your review and I am delighted you chose to celebrate your wife's birthday here with us. From your comments you both had a very enjoyable stay and I look forward to sharing them with all the team. I hope to welcome you both back to Parknasilla in the very near future.

Ruth O'Sullivan
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed here over the Christmas period. Hotel is very outdated. The only thing that worked in the Spa was the sauna, with the other 5 or 6 rooms/jacozis not working, our only response from staff was that it would be back on in an hour, 2 days later no luck. Rooms are average, very comfortable beds but bathroom leaked water everywhere after shower. Night porter was very friendly and assisted us very well when the window in our room broke. Breakfast is good but dinner is not worth the extra money. Average food, not exciting and a bit expensive. The grounds and surrounding areas are fantastic, and having stayed here around 8 years ago it is a great shame that the hotel has slipped so badly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Andrew668

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay here with us in Parknasilla Resort & Spa. May I extend my sincere apologies for issues you experienced.

I am glad to read you enjoyed the grounds of the hotel and surrounding areas, our gardeners take great pride in ensuring that the hotel gardens and mapped walks are in immaculate condition for our guests to enjoy. I was also delighted to read that our night porter was able to assist you, during your stay.

I am very sorry to read you experienced some problems during your stay, particularly with the equipment in the spa. We experienced some severe weather conditions over the Christmas period causing these issues. However there is no excuse, and I would like to extend my sincerest apologies again. I wish to assure you that we take all comments and feedback very seriously and your points raised will be relayed through our weekly management meeting.

Should you wish to discuss any aspects of your stay in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly on (064) 66 75600 or via email at rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at Parknasilla in March 2013 and had a lovely time. The grounds are gorgeous and we had a great time walking along the trails along the water. Although we did not make use of the pool, I did appreciate that the hotel offered swimsuits, etc. to borrow for guests who had forgotten them. We had booked a package that included dinner at the Pygmalion restaurant, and we were wonderfully surprised by the quality of the food - it was amazing! I definitely agree with other reviewers that the place is very family-oriented so might not feel right for a couple's vacation. Still, we had a great time. There was an error after checkout where I was double-charged but the hotel fixed it right away after I contacted them about it and were very apologetic.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear sfc7112

I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Parknasilla Resort and Spa. The hotel itself is located on a 500 acre estate and our garden team work tirelessly all year round to ensure it is in pristine condition for all our guests and visitors to enjoy. We receive great feedback about the food offering that is served in our Pygmalion restaurant and I will be sure to pass on your praise to all involved.

I would like to apologise again for the error that occurred at checkout, but I was pleased to here that our front office team were able to correct it for you.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete this review and share your feedback with us. From myself and all the staff at Parknasilla, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Annascaul, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed in Parknasilla in late October. We had a dream stay and promised ourselves that we would return in the Spring! Whilst browsing online this morning for Spring prices at Parknasilla I noticed the last reviewers comment and wondered how our two experiences could be so different and prompted me to write and tell you about our experience. It was simply perfect! We had a lovely room with a seaview, we caught up on some needed sleep and rest. We did the island walks, Bishop's Walk and another the name which I forget. I went to the spa and completely lost all sense of time and before I knew it a couple of hours and lapsed and thought my hubby would have a search warrant out for me!!!! I need not have worried, he was happily reading the paper and enjoying a pint of Guinness ( luxury that children do not allow at home). We had dinner in the main restaurant, I remember I had turbot for main course and it was outstanding. On our second evening we dined in the bar and it was just perfect as we had a lovely late lunch in the village that day. What is particularly special about Parknasilla is how the staff make you feel. The service is not rigid or is it formal, but you certainly get the impression that all of them genuinely care.
So now I must return to the task at hand and plan our return visit in March

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trish M

I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Parknasilla Resort & Spa and I would like to thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback and experience with us.

The biggest asset that the hotel has is our staff. They all work very hard to ensure that you not only enjoy your stay with us but to help you feel at home at Parknasilla. We receive outstanding feedback in relation to their attitude, friendliness and work ethic and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to them.

Also another source of great enjoyment at Parknasilla is our mapped walks and I was delighted to hear that you had the opportunity to experience some of the walks on offer. Our gardening team work diligently all year to compliment the already magnificent surroundings that we are so lucky to have here at Parknasilla.

Again I would like to thank you for your wonderful review and look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla for many years to come.

Kilkenny, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed here the first week of the year, in the hope that as a couple, we could chill out and enjoy each other's company away from home. Sadly, we could not. First we were given a really disappointing room. We aired our grievances and we're quickly transferred to a 'newer' room. Still, not great, but we settled in. Before long, it became apparent just how thin the walls and doors were. We could hear children running up and down the halls, shouting and roaring at each other. There were children in the bar area even after 9pm!! The restaurant looked promising until we received a very limited menu. Again, children everywhere! Passion well killed, we retired to our room in the hope that the spa would offer calm and relaxation come morning. Not!! Turns out that you have to pay for a swimming cap and a locker...and on top of that, arrive at 8-9am before children take over!! I would say that this is a great hotel for large groups and families. It's a nightmare for couples or people looking to get away to somewhere quiet and relaxing. I cannot fault the staff, they were friendly and welcoming. The views are magnificent.

Room Tip: Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, ask for a new room that is accessible through a lift! Other...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rain F

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback with us about your recent stay at Parknasilla.

I am glad you enjoyed the magnificent views and scenery that we are so lucky to be surrounded by. I was also pleased to read your praise for our staff. They take great pride in welcoming guests and visitors to Parknasilla all year and I will be sure to pass on your comments to them.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay. We are a child friendly hotel, however we do make every effort to ensure that the atmosphere remains relaxing and serene for all our guests. However on this occasion we have failed you and for this I sincerly apologise.

Should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay further, please don't hesitate to contact me on 064 66 75600 or alternatively on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie.

Ruth O' Sullivan

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!