“A walk to the Castle” 5 of 5 stars

Peoria, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
“A walk to the Castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

It is hidden, we walked down to the castle. There were lovely white horses by the castle, very sweet. You walk a small road that is surrounded by cattle, sheep and horses.

Visited October 2013

Commerce Township, Michigan
“Magical place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The muddy walk down to this picture-perfect castle ruin was well worth it! Enjoyed the cows & blackberries along the way : ) The ruins themselves are actually fenced, but you can get very close & let your imagination run wild. Lovely views of the water too. If you love castle ruins, this place is for you!

Wichita, Kansas
13 attraction reviews
“Free hike to amazing ruins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

A little muddy but how much fun is it to hike to a castle in ruins and snack on blackberries from the hedgerow on the way? Wear at least tennis shoes and go for it! The castle is magical with absolutely a great view. The cattle along the way love the company!

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
56 attraction reviews
“The walk down is part of the experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We decided to try to see the Clifden Castle during our recent visit to the Connemara region. I hadn’t read a recent Trip Advisor report that suggested that the castle was no longer open to the public [until afterwards]. My wife and I had to find the castle first, so it was kind of an adventure but we spotted it from the highway. We drove through an archway only to realize there really wasn’t any place to park the car and the lane wasn’t one I felt safe in driving on . So I managed to turn around in one spot and we left the car at the back off the main road and walked down. The lane was wet in spots and we had to hug the fence and inch along for a stretch. But after that it was a nice walk on a lane that wound down to the ruins of the castle. We met a young couple there who were coming in across a field from a different direction. Turns out they were from Mexico and visiting Ireland on their honeymoon while my wife and I were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary in Ireland!
We enjoyed exploring around the castle ruins and the back buildings a little farther away. It’s the type of “attraction” that my wife and I enjoy but the walk there would not be for everyone- certainly not for families with young children.
After our trip, I checked with the local Irish publication “What’s On” about the status of the Clifden Castle. They confirmed that it was not an “official” attraction and the castle was on private land but that it was part of a ‘commonage’ and that the owners were happy to allow visitors to walk to the castle. They added that the Clifden Castle was an important part of Clifden’s history. I would suggest if you visit that you stay on the lane [there is one section where the fence was down and the lane was covered with water- and we stepped over the downed fence and walked in the field] and be respectful of private property. I saw no “no trespassing” or similar signs around and there was one signpost that indicated “Castle” on our walk.
So, we enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone up for a hike and ready for a little adventure. Check out my posted pictures! Oh, note there are no "facilities" along the way or at the castle ruins.

Saginaw, Michigan
“A pleasant diversion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were looking for something off the beaten track to do one afternoon on our recent trip to Ireland. We were staying in Letterfrack at Rosleague Manor (a great place, by the way) and had a few hours to kill. We had heard of the castle and asked for directions at the tourist office in Clifden. We also asked if there would be an issue with trespassing, and they said no problem. It was a good thing we had gps, however, because it is a bit hard to find. There's really no parking for it, so we just pulled off the road out of the way. There was no one else around. It's a relatively easy walk to the castle. The view over the water is quite nice. You can't really get inside of the castle to explore, so you're limited to just walking around the exterior. I wouldn't plan your trip around a visit but, if you've got some spare time, you could do worse.

Visited August 2013