“Always a perfect stay...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Quay House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifden
The Quay House
You added The Quay House to your Saves list
Beach Road, Clifden, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 46 Clifden B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Always a perfect stay...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I (and various friends over the years) have stayed at the Quay House several times before: to me a visit to Ireland means a must-stay at Julia/Paddy Foyle's divine and intimate boutique hotel/inn. This trip I was blessed enough to have time to stay at the Quay House for 8 nights while my husband had meetings elsewhere in Ireland; he, and several friends/family then joined us for a fabulous birthday celebration at the end of the stay.

I can basically reiterate my review from 2009 (alas, the last time I was in Ireland...):

I once again stayed in the Mirror Room (my favorite room of all time, with beautiful view over the harbour-- I usually left the balcony window open while I worked (some of the rooms now have wireless internet access, but it's always available in the ground floor parlour) and could watch/hear the seagulls, fishermen and tide come/go ). Julia took me on a tour of most of the rooms this trip (between check-out/check-ins) and every one of them are unique and have amazing character. There is a newly decorated ground floor room with fountain in the adjacent courtyard, an exotic parrot-themed room in the newer section on the top floor w/harbour view,
the sky room in the original building with cloud and seashell theme/harbour view (heavenly!), the Napoleon room (speaks for itself), balcony room (I think that's the name! with harbour view and four poster bed...very romantic), etc. etc. Every room is special. I would have loved to stay in any of them but with a working fireplace and beautiful mirror theme, the Mirror room remains my favorite!

There is a new addition to the Banjo/Blossom pug family: Buzz the Persian one-year old male kitty who rules the abode and everyone's heart who visits.

I was lucky enough to be at the Quay House for my birthday this year and Julia/Paddy ensured that the celebration was memorable. We were able to advance book a few rooms for family/friends and that entire weekend was extremely festive. Julia/Paddy prepared bubbly and Connemara Smokehouse salmon on brown bread for a pre-dinner cocktail party in the parlour w/roaring fire and stunning decor around us. Clifden in August is insanely busy with tourists/Connemara Pony Show, etc. and Julia spent countless hours finding/arranging a birthday dinner for 20 in the private dining room at Marconi's in the Foyle Hotel (not too many places can fit in this many people for a dinner in August.....); it was just perfect. The Foyles provide this kind of selfless service to all their guests, starting very early with their devoted and hard-working young staff to provide a sumptuous breakfast (certainly one of the best breakfast offerings in all of Ireland and served in the most beautiful glass atrium), and working all through the day/night to provide whatever their guests need.

I could not count how many people passing by the hotel were drawn to the hotel's beautiful garden (and Blossom/Banjo/Buzz available for petting/photo ops sitting at the gate entrance) and stopped in to seek an immediate reservation (but had to be turned away as the hotel is chock full during August, so be sure to make advance reservations!).

What else can I say? Simply that my husband knows how to make me happy: when in Ireland, take me to the Quay House! Until next time then....my deepest thanks and warmest regards to Julia and Paddy and family and team (and furry little ones)!

Room Tip: Always nice to ask for a room with harbour view and fireplace!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

What a delight! Paddy is the ultimate host and made us feel at home from the minute he opened the door then helped us in with our bags. Then we saw our room and didn't want to leave! Overlooking the harbour in this beautiful fishing village on the west coast of glorious Connemara, The Quay House reeks of history and tales to tell. It has been rebuilt and refurbished by the Foyles to an amazing standard and is both fascinating and homely at the same time. A haven of comfort and tranquility, a night here will leave you wanting to return again and again. The sound of the seagulls on waking, the superb service, wonderful food and your every need catered for - you will long remember your stay in Clifden at The Quay House. Thank you Paddy for allowing us to be part of such a special place.

Room Tip: The top floor is wonderful if you can handle the 50 stairs! Beautiful view over the harbour and the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Puget Sound, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a change of plans, so got a reservation for two nights at The Quay House. It certainly exceeded our expectations. The house is clean, well situated (about a 5 minute walk to downtown Clifden) and Paddy couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The breakfast is terrific.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Rooms were beautifully designed - all very unique in their own right (managed to have a tour). We were met by the lovely owners, Julia and Paddy. Breakfast, as other reviewers have said, was amazing - have not had an eggs benedict like it, before or since, simply gorgeous! Would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Mirror Room" which had beautiful views over the bay - but to be honest a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aigle, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The house has tremendous character and Paddy and Julia were friendly and helpful without being over-bearing. Breakfast was served efficiently but calmly, no long waits for the first coffee of the day; the food was of top quality with some interesting choices. Our room was huge and comfortably furnished, with great views across the harbour. Wi-fi only worked in the lounge area not in the room. Clifden is a pleasant 10 minutes walk away with many restaurant options. We didn't have problems finding parking along the quay during the days we were there despite it being August. Although not a budget option it really is a very special place.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thousand Oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Gracious owner hosts of Quay House, Julia and Paddy, welcomed us into this beautifully restored former Harbor Masters House filled with Paddy's 20 year estate-collecting acquisitions so tastefully and artfully arranged (a visual feast). Breakfast in the indoor solarium was enchanting (and the eggs, fruit and freshly caught fish were delicious). They have a lovely selection of wines and champagnes. Our travel group of ten were following the trail of Grace O'Malley (Pirate Queen), and stayed at Quay House for three nights. Watching the tide flow in and out of the harbor at night from our window, early morning jogs along the quiet harbor roadway in one direction, walking minutes into town for pub music and shops make this location wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hauppauge, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Quay House in Clifden, Ireland is a fantastic Bed and Breakfast! We stayed there July 3, 4 and 5. Paddy and Julia Foyle are wonderful hosts! This is the most beautiful, comfortable, immaculately clean and welcoming B & B! Their family makes you feel as if you are part of the family as welll! Every room is different and has a theme all its own. Our room was on the very top and had a spectacular view of the water and the town! The delicious breakfast was always fresh and innovative. Their signature lemon cake was simply scrumptious! I would most highly recommend this wonderful Bed and Breakfast!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Quay House? Share your experiences!