“Best of food and craic!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sky Road, Clifden, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Clifden
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
“Best of food and craic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed in the AbbeyGlen with my mother aged 81. The room we had was at the back of the hotel but was perfect for us. We are both "smokers" and the hotel accommodated for those vile type of people brilliantly. We would sit at the front of the hotel taking in the view and having our afternoon tea - which was tea or coffee accompanied by a vast array of buns and cakes. The food in the upstairs restaurant was fantastic. The service was surperb. The staff we all more than helpful and the craic with the staff and fellow guests was great. I have never experienced a better break for my mum and myself and we do intend to go back. I would recommend this to anyone, young or old. Clifden itself is a dander downhill, and you can always get a taxi back up if your legs won't carry you. Sky Road, where the hotel sits, is well worth a drive along. The scenary is breathtaking. Best hotel in Ireland!

Stayed September 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

As an Irish person that has journeyed across the globe it was a great pleasure to bring my US friends and wife to the west of Ireland and stay at the Abbeyglen. I had not stayed there before and it was really a memorable experience not just for my American guests but for me as well. As my US friend on the trip commented to his teenage kids: "okay kids, pay attention to what's happening....this is what REAL customer service is like".

The owners, staff (and parrot) went out of their way in all ways to make us feel at home in this wonderful quirky hotel. It's hard to believe that they could have showered such attention on all the guests in the hotel (even in low season as it was) but it really made my guests feel welcomed and at home. I can imagine that at high season there is no way they could spread themselves wide enough to give everyone such personalized attention - but many establishments, even when they have the chance would not be able to match the attention we received. It's a cliche, yes, but we did feel like the only guests from the owner down to Mary who played the piano in the dining room and the pub afterwards.

The kids also had a great time, as did the adults. If you are there make sure to take the coast road to Leenane to view one of the best landscapes Ireland has to offer.

If you are looking for all mod cons in a spotless, efficient hotel - this is not it. For an authenitic (if still touristy and a bit cringingly "Oirish") experience at a reasonable rate and a home away from home, this is the place.....

I will return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Myself and my Husband stayed here for 1night (unfortunately due to work we could not stay longer).
We both loved the place. The room was amazing, with a 4 poster bed and an open fire, it was so romantic. The staff were so friendly and could not do enough for you. We ate in the restaurant and the food was amazing. Fillet steak cooked perfectly, I find it very difficult to find a chef that can cook a very good steak, very rare, but this was amazing.
We will definately be going back to Abbeyglen but next time hopefully for longer.
The only thing I would advise is that in the town of Clifden itself at this time of year there is not much open.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Orange, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

After a long, marvelous day on the road, and a bit of a hunt to find the hotel since it was after dark and raining - what else :-) - it was a delight to pull into the beautiful Abbeyglen, be greeted by a charming, helpful, doorperson, sail through registration, and be shown to our beautiful room/suite. The room was warm, the bathroom spacious with a huge tub and everything was spotless.

We had to wait until morning to see your lovely view, marred only by the presence of an aircraft fueling tank (see photo), evidently for the heliopads just outside the hotel. Breakfast was terrific.

Finally, I can't say enough about the kindness of the staff. I lost something and although I realized the loss before leaving, I could not find the item anywhere. I left my address in the U.S.A. with the front desk and to my delight, the item arrived, neatly packaged, at my home two days after our return. How wonderful is that!

Perhaps I should have made this a 5-star review, because I would give the staff and management 6 stars, but the dinner at their restaurant was very disappointing, only 3 stars for us. Reading other reviews, I have to think we might have hit an 'off' night, but at the price we paid, we did not feel we got our money's worth.

But don't let that little hiccup deter you. Clifden is very nice and the Abbeyglen a hotel where one indeed feels like royalty!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Donegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

We have been going to Abbeyglen Castle for 20 years now and each trip is as memorable and enjoyable as the last one. The warm welcome extended by Mr Hughes senior and junior is second to none. The staff are wonderful and nothing is trouble to them, I have to make a special comment here about the lovely lady who normally looks after us in room 25....Anne , each visit we really look forward to meeting her, and her efficiency and quiet demeanour is always a joy to encounter.The food is excellent and the old world appeal appears to keep drawing back repeat visits ( we spoke to another couple this trip who have also been visiting Abbeyglen Castle for the past 20 years.)The off season special offers are wonderful value, but this is well worth while to visit in high season also. We always enjoy our chats with Frieda while having our aperitif in the bar in the evenings, but unfortunately the Connemara air enforces us to retire early and we miss out on the wonderful sing songs in the bar after dinner. God willing we plan to continue to make our annual pligramage to Abbeylen for the long forseeable future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
northern ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Enjoyed a wonderful midweek break.Lovely spacious bright room.The food was delicious,great service from the staff and the craic in the bar at nights was great.The Yon Ka relaxation and treatment rooms are five star, lovely attentive staff .Can highly recommend the hot stone therapy massage,the benefits last for several days.The Abbeyglen is a family run hotel ,quirky and friendly ,there aren't many places like it ,visit it while you can!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
North East Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

We were there at the end of Sept/begining of Oct and stayed for 5 nights. We have been lucky enough to stay at the Abbeyglen several times before in a suite and in one of the "tower" rooms (the latter being my favourite). We normally travel in the spring or autumn taking advantage of a 3 or 5 night special which includes dinner. The location is lovely, the staff are great, the food is lovely, there are 4 poster beds and the craic in the bar after dinner is great (and I'm not usually into sing-songs). The only constructive criticism I would have is I'd like to see the bed linen upgraded to quilts (like a lot of other hotels have) and perhaps upgrading the TVs. A very relaxing hotel that we'll definitely be going back as soon as we can.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!