“Great stay at Abbeyglen” 4 of 5 stars

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sky Road, Clifden, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Clifden
Naperville
“Great stay at Abbeyglen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed at this castle hotel for two nights. The staff was friendly (especially Kevin), the rooms were spacious and beautiful, and it was a great location. The first night we walked to town to find dinner and had several places to chose from. The next night we had dinner at the hotel. It was very good, but a little pricey. All the rooms have a gas fireplace, the bathroom had a shower and a clawfoot tub, and we even got the one room with a large balcony! All in all, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

From the moment we arrived at this wonderful Hotel we were treated like royalty. From receiving scones (that I might add were to die for) to the entertainment that was provided right up to the much needed pot of coffee that was given to me at breakfast, I really could not fault one part of my wonderful time at the Abbeyglen Hotel.

Our Room had a Four Poster Bed and the bathroom was so quaint and 'old fashioned' it was great. It was so spacious and airy with a wonderful view down onto the garden and fountain. What I really liked about the room was the comfortable Four Poster Bed the space and the view onto the gardens. At this early stage of my visit, I didn't realise I wouldn't get back to this wonderful until well after 4am.

As a family, and I am including all the staff in this family, you will be astounded by how friendly they all are. Brian, the owner, takes the time to introduce himself to all guests, and made himself readily available throughout my stay. All the staff worked extremely hard at providing such hospitality to the happy guests. You really feel at home in this wonderful unique Hotel, and they welcome you with open arms.

We didn't venture down into Clifden town, but my friends assured me that we didn't need to and they were not wrong. Brian Hughes provided the most memorable entertainment (until you see the pictures the next day, you actually may not have remembered half of it !!). It is a wonderful home which we loved being a part of for at least one night, but can guarantee you that we will be back again. In fact we have booked to go back as a group again in July, and we are all so looking forward to it.

Since we came home the group of friends have spoken about the hospitality and the experience with great joy and laughter. We really enjoyed it. If you are looking for a comfortable Hotel, with a unique Castle experience. If you are looking for hospitality, pure Irish hospitality and the comfort of a 4 star Hotel, well this was what we found here. We really enjoyed our stay.

Thank you to everyone for the memorable experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We had the opposite experience from the last review. Looks like we stayed the same weekend.
We stayed for two night while making a trip to the islands. We really enjoyed our stay. We found the staff very friendly including the manager/owner himself.
We had dinner in Clifden on the 1st night in a good restaurant called Mitchell's and the Abbeyglen fro teh 2nd night. For the quality of food and value for money I would rate the Abbeyglen as a better experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room we a view
Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed at the Abbey Glen with a group of friends in December 2010 and from the moment we drove onto the grounds I was in love with the place. The hotel is set in lovely gardens and I was enthralled by the quirky and wonderful design of the hotel. The reception team were very welcoming and our room was spacious and spotless. we had a great view from our window onto the grounds.

It was not only the decor that was unique the whole experience from start to finish was a cabaret show. The owners Brian and his Dad went out of their way to make us feel extremely welcome and entertained us for the whole night - from the moment we arrived in the restaurant for a delicious dinner to when we went to bed well after 3 am! Seeing as it was the Christmas season we were all given santa hats by santa clause (Who bore a strong resembelence to one of the owners) and were handed presents from the man himself during the dinner. The athmosphere in the restaurant was magical - everyone sang christmas songs and seemed to really enjoy the festivities. The meal was divine and the service was impecable. After dinner we went to the bar where we were serenaded by Brian for the rest of the night on the piano. Not only is he a fantastic singer but he worked so hard to make sure everyone was included and entertained - a true professional.

Many of the people we met were repeat guests and I can see why you would return year after year. A trip to the Abbey Glen is an unforgetable get away from it all and I would definitely recommend this place for something a little different from your standard weekend break. Thanks to Brian and all the team at the Abbey Glen. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

We were disappointed with our stay at the Abbeyglen as so much had been promised by the positive reviews. I thought that we were staying in the wrong hotel as we were greeted by reception staff who were only adequate with little friendliness and who certainly didn't go the extra mile to make sure that we enjoyed our stay.

It is the first time I have ever heard the phrase 'top of the morning to you' being used (by the proprietor) apart from on 'The Simpsons' - and no, it wasn't a joke! Irish kitsch or what! However, Anne was lovely as were all the waiting staff in the dining room. The breakfasts were also good.

The room was also disappointing, jaded with a musty smell (I had to wash all our clothes upon our return home) and the bed was like rock.

Dinner (€49 per head + 12.5% service) harked back to the 1970's with a 'palate-cleansing' strawberry sorbet served after the soup. Main courses arrived complete with silver dome which were lifted with great aplomb to reveal lamb which was virtually inedible and salmon with skin gently forming on the accompanying sauce.

Overall we enjoyed the visit as the local area is so beautiful but we'll be staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
galway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Our much looked forward to break in the Abbeyglen proved a tad disappointing. Having booked a a one night stay with dinner and breakfast included, we were also offered a complimentary upgrade. We booked a suite. The day before we were due to arrive I received a call from the hotel to ask would we stay in two rooms side by side instead, as somone wanted to block book suites. I agreed as we were a family of five and thought it may be less cramped. Such a disappointment when we saw or should I say smelt the rooms! There was a very musty smell in both of them, a broken plug with exposed wires on the floor, missing bulbs, lumpy pillows and a view out the back of the hotel. What galled me the most was the reason we were hoodwinked into changing to these rooms was obviously the arrival of a well known broadcaster/presenter and extended family who are related to the owner.
I had agreed to change rooms but surely not to go from luxury suite to Fawlty Towers style accommodation. I complained at reception on departure about the poor downgrade and they discounted three small kids meal off the tab. Small comfort indeed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

We'd booked a nicer room for our honeymoon, and were given the most absolutely shabby, run down, worn out wreck of a room upon our arrival. When we started to walk out, suddenly, the nicer room became available! Shocking! We'd arrived at this hotel after a nice stay in an actual castle & an actual 5 star hotel - Solis Lough Eske Castle hotel - so this bizarre Disneyland style cinderblock "castle" was pretty disappointing. The room we did end up with was decent, but the hassle to get a room we'd booked and paid for? Ridiculous. The 1st room was absolutely unacceptable to stay in, and I feel sorry for anyone who ends up in it.

Sides & dishes that appear to be part of dinner show up on your tab later, making a mediocre meal quite expensive. The bonhomie by the owner during the meal may appeal to some, but we're private and shy people and being singled out was very unpleasant for us.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!