“The total chill out package” 5 of 5 stars

Alcock & Brown Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clifden Connemara, Clifden 00000, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Clifden
Dublin, Ireland
“The total chill out package”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

This hotel seem to have ticked every box for me in so many ways.
I had welcoming staff that efficiently dealt with my requests.
The room was crisp fresh and airy .It had been just refurbished this year so after a long journey,sleep wasn't a problem.Next morning for breakfast I was able order exactly what I wanted.Plenty offers of more coffee etc.After a lazy morning I found myself making my way from the lobby to their coffee shop and satisfied my non existing hunger pangs. The hotel is in the centre of the town and I could come and go without going near my car,what a plus. I conveniently arrived back at lunch time and had an extremely pleasant experience as although the food end of things was prompt to arrive to your table there was no time zone for one leaving the table ,very relaxed but the space and comfort in their coffee shop didn't exactly encourage one to move fast to the exits.
Thankfully I wandered back for dinner also and after being given a lovely table nicely spaced from other diners, out of no place there was live entertainment .I still can't work out did the music make the food taste so good and of such high quality or did the food make the music sound so good but top marks for a family run hotel that put this kind of packet together for its customers.Like the rooms,the coffee shop and the Restaurant have been revamped very tastefully with fab colours and plenty art work to the mix.They offer an Early bird menu also.I ended up not giving my room back to them for an extra 2 nights.Never got to go near my laptop,internet or the tv in the room.Gusts staying were friendly with one another so it was easy to be solo and not have to go to your room if you chose not to .Glad to have taken the Alcock and Brown flight to this hotel. See you soon again.Thanks for my relaxed perfect stay .

Room Tip: just make your requests when booking as they are so helpful or will try and assist you as best they...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
vickersbar, Reception at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Marybridget68,
Thank you so much for your wonderfully comprehensive and most complimentary review of our hotel! We are delighted that you had such a wonderful experience with all aspects of our hotel. We pride ourselves on making our guests feel welcome and offering the best service.We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back here in the near future.
Regards,
Aideen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Nice friendly relaxed hotel. Rooms are nice. Clean and spacious. Bathroom has some nice original features. The Weather was bad the night I stayed so had dinner in hotel restaurant. Very expensive (2e for diluted orange?) for what it was and no veg with mains which is a first for me. Would stay again but eat elsewhere!

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Hi Noel, thank you for your comments and glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry about the weather - you must have chosen the only few days we had rain this summer !! Regarding our food and drink prices, I think we compare very favourably with other establishments. We have both A La Carte and Table d'Hote menus. Our Table d'Hote offers 2 course for €19.95 and 3 course for €24.95, which I believe is very good value. Our A La Carte menu is also reasonably priced with a 10oz steak at €22.95, Salmon fillet at €16.95 and a range of dishes such as chicken, pork and beef all priced between €15 and €17. Our starters range from €4.50 to €7.95 and Desserts are all €5.50. We do charge €3.50 for a selection of vegetables - we price this separately as many people prefer to have the option of 'with' or 'without'. I believe giving guests the choice offers better value. That said, I hear what you are saying and will bear it in mind when preparing the 2015 menu selection. Regards, Declan.
West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Lots of work needed by a couple of people there on basic hospitality or friendliness that should be extended but female proprietor (I think) and waitresses in coffee shop and serving breakfast were really lovely people and very efficient. A real plus is breakfast ordered and served to your liking such a brilliant experience compared to the buffet style service elsewhere these days. A minus was no bag storage for anyone arriving before 3 pm check in or after 11 am check out if you would like to wander around town without your cases or bags. The response to a request was having no room but there is such a simple solution of adding lockable doors to a space under the staircase . Lobby and coffee shop lovely but bar has no windows and underused. bar in restaurant looked a much nicer facility but not in use. slight smell on the staircase masked by plug ins however it's only very slight and actually our rooms were fine and very clean and comfortable The housekeeper was a lovely friendly lady who was always on the go when we saw her and rushed to get our rooms ready for 2pm on day of arrival as we were desperate for showers. Odd experience of being challenged about 2 girls seen going into bedroom during the day when it was my daughter who was staying with us and a cousin - some comment about a fire safety accountability but during the day how would they account for who was in or out so .... vigilance or suspicion? Also, family meeting us in lobby were bluntly told toilet facilities just for residents. In our time there never once saw anyone trying to sneak into them but perhaps it's been a problem. This hotel is in the best spot in town and though few tweaks would really really enhance it I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear AnnieGee, thank you for your review and I note your comments on the improvements we can make. I appreciate the time you took to write. Regarding the 2 girls, our staff are asked to be vigilant and ensure only residents go to the rooms. I am sure you understand that this is for the security and safety of everyone. No offence meant !! See you in 2015. Regards, Declan.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

The hotel is in a great location but the room was awful ...broken furniture and lamps ....really old and tatty curtains ....nothing like the pictures on line ..the towels were old worn and very grey and should be replaced immediately ...there was a plug in air freshener in the hallway to mask a smell ...this is a 3star hotel my room was barely 1 star ....

Really disappointing

Room Tip: Rooms to the back look out on a dumpster
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear AnnM, it is rare that I see a review that annoys me. Most people speak their minds honestly about their experiences and I can generally see where they are coming from and may agree or disagree. However your review does not fall into that category. The photos on our site were taken in the last 12 months and do represent the rooms and hotel accurately and correctly. Your descriptions are incorrect and inaccurate. There is no point in saying anything else to you. Regards, Declan.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I have just returned from an overnight stay here, I can not praise the hotel and staff enough. From the moment we checked in we were greeted with a wonderful friendly welcome from the receptionist/manager. Throughout our stay the staff were so nice and could not do enough for you.

We had a fabulous dinner in the Restaurant, there was music playing as we dined which added to the atmosphere. After dinner we had a lovely Irish Coffee & Bailey's Coffee, perfect to round off the evening, thank you...

The room we had was spacious with a double bed and a single bed. The room was nicely decorated and very clean. The beds were very comfortable.

Breakfast in the morning was very tasty and set us up for the day. Again service was excellent.

Overall this is a lovely family run hotel located in the heart of Clifden, I will definitely be returning..

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
vickersbar, Reception at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear 76Sammo,
Thank you for taking the time to give us such a lovely glowing review. We are so pleased you had a good experience from the moment you arrived and that you were impressed with our friendly staff and service and so many aspects of our hotel. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back here in the near future.
Regards,
Meath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I stayed here overnight while on business in the area.I really enjoyed the stay.Hotel is in a good location at the top of the town.All staff were very friendly and helpful;genuinely wanting you to enjoy your stay and your time in the area.Although I imagine this is an old hotel,the room was great and it was very clean.The breakfast was very good.The cooked breakfast was cooked to order,not the usual overcooked buffet fare on offer in most hotels.Hotel is very close to all the pubs and restaurants in the town,and the town was bustling with visitors the night I was there.Would definitely recommend and I look forward to visiting this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Breezer67,
Many thanks for your very complimentary review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular that you were impressed with our staff and food and, of course, our great central location! We hope to welcome you back here again very soon.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I have stayed here, however I always have my coffee here together with a sweet treat. This time I also had lunch, being the chowder and it was great, while last year (2013) I had dinner as well also good. I must say that on each occasion I have been warmly greeted and the service was exceptional. There were quite a few in the restaurant. Since 2013 the room has been re-organised and split into two. A much better cosy feeling. If you are looking for a good coffee this is the place as I have tried others and to date no one compares. The location is good, being at the top of the town and also has a nice little outdoor area for those summer days.. Do try it..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
vickersbar, Reception at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Barbara,
Thank you so much for your very complimentary review. We are pleased you enjoyed coffee and sweet treats and lunch in our newly refurbished Coffee House and Restaurant. Our staff will be happy to know that you felt the warm welcome and were impressed with their service.
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back here very soon!
Aideen

Been to Alcock & Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!