“THE place to stay in Clifden!” 5 of 5 stars

Alcock & Brown Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clifden Connemara, Clifden 00000, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Clifden
Norwich, United Kingdom
“THE place to stay in Clifden!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We booked this hotel for it's Market Square location. Best choice in town. Our room looked out on the square - great. All bars and restaurants close at hand. All (I mean ALL) the staff were the friendliest and most helpful people you could meet and the food was top class.
. Clifden is a super friendly town

• Stayed June 2013
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words Dick. We look forward to seeing you again. Regards, Declan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Naas, Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am a driver guide and while my clients stayed in Ballynahinch Castle I stayed here for 2 nights. I don't normally review hotels where I stay but I had to for Alcock & Brown as it is such a great place. It is a 3 star hotel with evening food as good as any 5 star but at 3 star prices. I stayed here before the new owners took over (Declan & Sharon) and was reluctant to return. How a place can change. From the minute you arrive you are met with a friendly smile and helpful staff. The room was clean and had all the essentials a guest could ask for. The price is very reasonable and well what can i say about the food. Breakfast was plentiful and will set you up for the day. I had the sirlion steak for dinner and if you closed your eyes you would have mistaken it for fillet. It was that good! The rates are on par with B&Bs but you get so much more. These people and their staff are what Irish hospitality is all about and I wish them all the success in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Paul, thank you for this lovely review. We appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon. Regards, Declan.
Co Westmeath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and myself stayed at the hotel for one night on Sunday 12th May. We were travelling for a few days and wanted to stay in Clifden. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful with good local knowledge and good knowledge of the hotel and the bedrooms as she recommeded we opt for one of the refurbished rooms as we would be more comfortable. It was a good size room, clean with basic but all we needed amenities. Loved the big picture window had a lovely view of clifden and it was great to have a clean window which isnt always easy with irish weather. Food lovely, service very good. The lady owner was very helpful recommended areas to visit and was very interested in our feedback regarding our stay, both good and bad, she was consious of how her staff treated guests and she obviously puts a lot of time and effort in trying to train and keep staff = happy staff = happy guests! Yes I would go back!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Clare, thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Regards, Declan.
Cavan, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

hi. as a single traveler on business travel single probably occupying a double room i dont usually get a great rate or welcome , but here i did, i spent a lovely week in a homely atmosphere , and when i locked the keys in the boot of my car(like a plonker ) they could not do enough for me. the room was excellent and hey; breakfast 10/10
many thanks ray

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Ray, glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Regards, Declan.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Alcock & Brown. I had a brilliant time. The hotel staff were great! The standard of the food was unbelievable. I stayed in the superior room. I was not disappointed. I would highly recommend the hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi, thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we see you again soon. Keep an eye on our website for offers and upcoming events. Regards, Declan.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I purchased an offer on Living Social website, tried to redeem the voucher and was told that the offer was only for mid-week if it was a 2 night stay(not stipulated in the fine print), guy on the phone claimed to be the manager and was very rude, asked was there anything he could do for me otherwise I said my only option was to cancel the offer which I really didnt want to do, his response was to say cancel and be silly. Shocking experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Michael, Thank you for your review. However, I believe you have unfairly portrayed the hotel. As you and I both know, you NEVER STAYED in the hotel. However you have rated sections of the hotel that you did not experience - is that not wrong ? You made a phone call to book a room using a voucher from Livingsocial. The dates you requested were not available. The terms and conditions issued with the offer clearly advise 'limited availability at weekends'. For clarity, these terms and conditions can still be viewed online. The gentleman you spoke with did not correctly explain this to you, and you advise he was rude. You emailed a complaint to the hotel. As owner, I then phoned you and apologised for any remark he may have made. I explained the terms and conditions to you. You accepted my apology and explanation. I subsequently emailed you confirming the contents of our phone call. It appears your main annoyance is that your preferred booking dates were unavailable. All I can suggest is that perhaps you might read all terms and conditions prior to booking breaks and be satisfied that they are acceptable to you. I hope in the future that I can welcome you on a visit to our hotel and enjoy the great experiences that 99% of our guests write about. Regards, Declan.
Drumcar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Really friendly staff and newly refurbed rooms. Great all round. The Gallery restaurant served very good food at fantastic prices. I really could not fault the whole stay.The rooms were warm and comfortable and clean. Breakfast freshly cooked in the morning with a standard you would get at a 4 star hotel in the City. Mini pain au chocolate, croissants, fresh fruit and juices. Mighty cooked full Irish and excellent coffee.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi Topchef. Thank you for your review. Keep an eye on our website for offers and events. Regards, Declan.

Been to Alcock & Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!