“The price was not right” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 32 Restaurants in Clifden
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“The price was not right”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

This is a stiff restaurant where the owner spends the night looking at his bookings diary while surveying his tables to see" who is nearly finished".it's off putting.

The portions are not great and I had the feeling that I was on a conveyer belt. There must be more than a " food on the plate " approach. The only " wow" factor was the bill... Let's see will the vat reduction make a difference.Much better value across the road in Foyles.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Ireland
“Great lunch in Cliften”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Arrived in Cliften , not sure of where to have lunch. Searched through the town and after a while arrived at Mitchells Restaurant (all by chance) The kids had a kids meal and we had two of their special sandwiches. 1 a panini with smoked bacon, caramelised onions and Brie cheese and the other slices of beef with peppers and caramelised onions. Boy were they good! absolutley fabulous and all washed down with a good cup of coffee. Reasonably good value too. The question one should always ask is , if I was here again would I go back, the asnwer is Yes I would, it would be the first place that I would go. I wish they had a restaurant in Dublin
Top marks -

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mayo
“Great Food! Definitely worth a visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

My husband and I ate at Mitchells on Saturday night and have to say the food was really good! We had Tian of Crab, Scallops, Monkfish and some wine and it was all perfectly cooked and really fresh! We both would defintely recommend and will go back for sure! Restaurant isnt very big and we hadnt booked but we were lucky to get a table.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Best in Clifden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Dined here twice while in Connemara last week and loved it. I had a baked salmon that was perfectly cooked and very tasty. My dining partners enjoyed their meals as well. Clifden is lacking in fine dining establishments so Mitchell's really stands out.

Visited June 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Atrocious waitstaff - Do not spend your money here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I'm a polite, conscientious restaurant goer. I don't expect anything beyond a semblance of friendliness. The service i received at this restaurant was the worst I've experienced in Ireland and ranks right up there with the states.

I politely asked my server what exactly was the cod and leek pie. He looked at me and said, like i was an utter idiot, "its cod pie". Taken aback i then asked if he could explain how it was made. Again, he answered me like i was a mentally delayed. I seriously debated getting up and leaving, i felt so uncomfortable.

I decided to stick it out against my gut feeling. I got up to reluctantly inquie where th bathroom was. Before I even opened my mouth, he just ppinted upstairs. Not only rude but a psycnic as well.

After that debacle I went across the way to a friendly pub to grab a pint and decompress. I told the bartender what happened and he just laughed and said I wasn't the first to complain. Apparently the owner hires a bunch of eastern europeans to staff the restaurant in the summer and isn't concerned about how they treat customers; especially, it seems, women dining solo.

So please, if feeling comfortable and welcome mean anything to you do not patronize this restaurant despite the good reviews for the food.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere