“A wonderful surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Adare
Germantown, Maryland
“A wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

We selected the Dunraven Arms after reading about it in Frommers and doing research here on TA and thought it sounded like a good deal, especially getting the kind of off season rates that were available. After arriving in Ireland in the dark and driving on the wrong side of the road for 45 minutes through Limerick and surrounding countryside, we came on Adare and the Arms bleary eyed and desperately seeking a comfortable bed. However, this was Europe. We walked into the reception area wondering if anyone was alive and were presented with a sharped dressed Brian Murphy, one of the owners, who taking pity on us, upgraded our room and had us graciously ushered into a remarkably large, comfortable room with the most amazing king size bed. Although we did not avail ourselves of most of the hotel's services, I can say that the breakfast was excellent with a broad number of choices - from pure continental to a traditional Irish breakfast. The hotel also offers a gym for those who want aren't doing the 50 mile tourist treks at the local sites. Across the street are three excellent restaurants, The Blue Door, The White Sage and a third that I can't remember, but was still really good. It is a short, pleasant walk to the center of Adare and the various shops that are there. Also across the street is Adare Manor, the other big "hotel" in town. Nice to visit, but I'd rather stay at Dunraven Arms. If you decide to stay there, look for the pictures of Brian Murphy and Gwenyth Paltrow, the Queen, Mary Robinson and other "notable" artifacts. And if you are adventurous, you can participate in the foxhunts arranged by Brian and his brother. All in all, an excellent stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
kerry
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

my wife and i stayed at the dunraven for one night last week,my wife is wheel chair bound,the first thing we had too deal with was parking one disabled space for a large hotel is a joke.we ended up having to park on a double yellow line.the main entrance has a large revolving door with very limited space at the side for a chair it was a night mare to either enter or exit the hotel.it is not what you would call up to mordern standards and could badly do with work to bring it up eu guidlines.

kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed here last weekend. What a super hotel, I could'nt recommend it highly enough. Large airy, well furnished , spotlessly clean bedrooms, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in............. shame about the horrible plastic matress protecters.......lovely, helpful staff and delicious dinner. If you're a meat eater I would highly recommend the beef from the carvery. If I had to pick faults I would say I was very disappointed that there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the bedroom........ the staff are more than happy to bring complementry tea & coffee to the room but we did'nt like to put them to that trouble too often and so we done without. The only other dissappointing thing was the breakfast......... I'm afraid it;s not great and really lets the place down, poor quality cooked food from a buffet. cheap juices and cereal. That aside we had a great stay I would recommend it to anyone and can't wait to go back.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I have stayed on several occasions at the Dunraven Arms, great location, very welcoming atmosphere and comfortable hotel with good food and very good wine list.
What makes this hotel so pleasant are the wonderful polite well trained staff, nothing is to much trouble, they are not in your face like some hotels but always quick at hand to look after you!
Would highly recommend this delightful Hotel

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed for 2 nights in a junior suite. The hotel is very well located just at the end of Adare village. The hotel is very nice and had a cosy feel to it in the evenings. We found all the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious,as you would expect in a suite,and the four poster bed was very comfortable. One complaint would be the bathroom was very basic for a €260 a night suite. The shower in the bath was just okay, the drain must have been blocked because the water was slow to go down and the shower had a shower curtain which isn't very luxurious! I would skip ordering room service unless you have an hour to wait for the food. Also the ham sandwich with processed plastic cheese on cheap bread was not what we were expecting. Poorest sandwich we have ever had and not worth waiting an hour for. We had dinner in the hotel the second night which was really nice. The staff were excellent and there was a very good ambience. The starter of mushroom bruschetta with truffle oil was unusual but very nice and the freshly carved beef was lovely and rare if a little fatty. Breakfast was particularly nice with freshly carved ham instead of bacon and a great selection of fresh fruit and breads. Again the staff were particularly professional, attentive and friendly.

Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

This is a very nice hotel in a really lovely village. Overall I had no problem with the hotel, the staff were excellent but just felt there was something missing in the experince for me.

The hotel layout is a bit confusing, I got the feeling bits were added on at seperate times and easy to get lost. My room was a very large twin with seperate walk in dresser, sofa, writing desk etc - my only complaint was it was the two single beds (I prefer a double - just habit). My only complaint about the room really was the fact that there was no tea/coffee facilities (minor point I know )

Breakfast is served in the dinning room across from reception - wasnt over inspired by the breakfast although the coffee was delightful.

Conference faciliites are new, basic and generally small but adaquate for their purpose (the building itself is out of context with the rest of the hotel and located at the rear)

Overall it was a nice hotel, Ive stayed in much better 4* but if you are going here you will enjoy it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

This hotel is a real gem. From the moment we arrived the staff were so helpful and friendly and brought us to a most delightful, charming room - and so comfortable. Dinner and breakfast were really good - highlights being carvery beef for dinner - and fresh scones and brown bread for breakfast. Staff excellent and really seemed pleased to serve the customers. The town is so beautiful, with its thatched cottages and a variety of shops.
Value was excellent and we have already recommended this to many of our friends - hope it won't be booked out when we next make our reservation. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Dunraven Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!