“Ireland beauty” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Adare
Smithfield, RI
“Ireland beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Our family booked a week at the Adare Manor based on my sister's experience several years ago. It was a wise decision.

We flew into Dublin, arriving at 7am after an overnight flight. The Dan Dooley car rental agent at the airport was very helpful, advising us of the tolls and providing maps.

After driving 3 hrs, we arrived at the Adare Estate. It was a little difficult to find the town houses, but with a little help from other residences, we were soon settled into our 3 bedroom condo. This space provided my mid twenty year old daughter and son with their own bedrooms and bathrooms. The master bedroom included a large soaking tub. There was also a 4th full bath on the main level and all bathrooms were equipped with heated towels racks. The beds were very comfortable.

The main floor of the condor included an open floor plan with a marble kitchen, dining table and comfortable living room. The kitchen was stocked with pans, dishes, and glassware. There was a small patio, but we didn't use this.

The townhouses are about one mile from the gates to the Adare Village. Access was made easier by driving our vehicle to the gates and parking on the Estate. There is very little street lighting on the estate, making it a very long, dark walk after visiting the local pubs at night.

Adare Village was wonderful and the people very kind. Their way of life resembles New England 60 years ago... The village is heart of the town. The church, school, market, butcher shop, drug store, hardware store, restaurants and pubs are all located along one Main Street. And we visited many of them.

Sean Collins' Bar became a nightly stop for us. The owner, Sean Collins, provided tips on driving directions, sight seeing and life in general. (A plus was a gluten free menu with delicious pizza.) Bill Chawkes Beer Garden was popular with the younger members of the family, with a deejay at night. Customers in both places were warm and friendly. We had dinner at several restaurants in town. The Blue Door restaurant (with blue window trim and door), offered wonderful menu options. The Wild Geese restaurant was a true delight! The restaurant used to be a home, with most rooms now converted to dining areas. We were met at the door and led to as warm living room where we had before dinner drinks in front of a roaring fireplace. After placing our orders, we were led to our table. Our dinners included pheasant, venison, duck, black (blood) pudding and other local favorites. Delicious!!! Aunty Lena's Bar has great fish and chips.

Driving in Ireland was an adventure! Fortunately we had upgraded our vehicle choice from a small standard vehicle to a mid size automatic. This provided a little extra space which was nice for all the hours we were on the road. The main highways were large, multi lane roads. However, most of the roads we traveled were one or two lanes in both directions. There was even a road that we thought was a cow path that was on the map and GPS! And most roads had a (suggested) speed limit of 65mph. There are frequent pullovers on the narrow roads and we used them frequently!

As for the sites.... The Dingle Peninsula was stunning. We traveled from Adare to the center of Dingle, and then headed straight north thru the mountains. Once we reached the northern coast, we followed the coast back to Dingle. This provided stunning vistas of the coast and mountainside cottages. Dingle is a fishing village with many shops along the docks. One cafe overlooking the seaport, Tree House Cafe offered great seafood chowder and brown bread. This is also were my daughter left her purse around noontime and didn't realize it until later that evening. The owner succeeded in tracking us down and returned the purse completely intact the following day via overnight mail!

The Blarney Castle and gardens were beautiful. However, I went there not knowing anything about the stone other than it is customary to kiss it. Well, the stone is located at the top of the long, winding stone stairway to the top of the castle. And the stone itself isn't anything special... It's just a rock in the outer wall. It is almost like a huge national joke about how many people will travel there and pay to kiss it. But you must spend time in the gardens, then waterfalls, the wishing steps and the surrounding areas.

The city of Kinsale was a disappointment. We had wanted to visit Kinsale because it is the sister city of Newport, Rhode Island, near our home. However, many of the shops were closed for the season.

The Bunratty Castle was interesting. There were several pieces of furniture and wall hangings that were hundreds of years old. The narrow stairways to the roof provided a good look at the village below. And the cottages within the castle walls reminded us of Plymouth Plantations in Massachusetts. We visited there during Christmas time and saw the children visiting Santa's Village, complete with train rides, giant candy canes, decorated store fronts and several Disney characters: Mickey & Mimi Mouse, and Donald & Daffy Duck. The children were so cute in their Sunday best outfits and excited to see Santa.

We visited the Cliffs of Moher on an overcast day and this still didn't do anything to diminish the beauty of area. No pictures that you take will do this place justice. It is so breathtakingly scenic from every angle. There is a lot of walking so wear comfortable, rubber soled shoes to safely navigate the stone walkways and stone steps.

The final location we visited was something we stumbled upon in a brochure. The site, called Dromberg Stone Circle, is similar to England's Stonehenge. Dromberg Stone Circle is hundreds (or thousands?) of years old and is miles from anything. The stone circle is in the middle of a pasture and is now a protected site. My husband is a huge fan of anything National Geographic like so he was thrilled with this peaceful site.

We only spent a 1/2 day in Dublin before our flight home. We toured Christ Church, visited a few pubs and saw Christmas decorations. We just missed the Viking museum.

Overall, we loved our visit to Southwestern Ireland and know we will return again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sarah M, Guest Relations Manager at Adare Manor Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Susan L,

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review of Adare Manor, it is very much appreciated and I'm sure will be a source of very helpful information for those enjoying a holiday in this area.

I look forward to meeting you upon your return, in the meantime, Happy New Year from the entire Adare Manor Team.

1,061 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Turkish first
Plainsboro, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The three bedroom villa was well appointed. The master bedroom had a king sized bed, full bath with tub. The second bedroom had a queen sized bed, full bath with glass enclosed shower. The third bedroom had two twin beds and a full bath with glass enclosed shower. The downstairs bathroom also had a glass enclosed shower. Each room had a towel warmer. There was a full gourmet kitchen with pots, pans, dishes, dishwasher, and even dishwashing tabs. A laundry room, with several laundry detergent tabs. A study. A living room with gas fireplace. A sun room. A patio (too cold for us in November). Nice entry way. Everything was clean and lovely.

My only complaint was that my room was very cold. I fiddled with the radiator, to no effect. We asked maintenance to look into it, and they said that there wasn't a problem. We didn't figure out the solution until the last day, so I was freezing every night. It turned out that there was a control in the master bedroom, and because their room was very warm, it was turned down, which made my room unbearably cold. Management could have explained this better to us, so that we could have come to a compromise on heat earlier in the week. Since we were there in November, this was a serious problem for me. If it weren't for that, I'd be giving 4 or 5 stars.

The only thing I would do differently is that I wouldn't stay in one location for a week to do day trips, because that was a lot of driving. Instead, I would recommend staying at various locations throughout the country. Start in one place, stay a night. Drive to another area, then stay there. Do a day trip from there. Then move to a third place, etc. There were some places I wanted to go to that were just too far to go for a day trip driving back and forth.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah M, Guest Relations Manager at Adare Manor Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear MiaMomML,

Thank you for your review of your stay in our Luxurious Villas, I'm so glad you liked them, they are very popular with our guests.

I'm sorry you had trouble with the heating in your room, as you say the rooms are centrally controlled from both upstairs and downstairs which can be adjusted to suit the needs of guests at various times of the day and night depending on weather, they can also be adjusted individually to suit each room from the radiators. We are normally very clear on this point during orientation and also have it contained within the instructions provided in the villa, my apologies for not making it clear enough on this occasion.

I do hope that it will not deter you from visiting us again, in the meantime, allow me to wish you and your family a Very Happy New Year...

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I did not stay here while visiting but I did have lunch and walk the beautiful grounds. I also did some shopping in the gift shop which was quite nice. The lunch we had was probably the best lunch I had during my stay in Ireland.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tgeradi,

Thank you !! it is very much appreciated.... not only for choosing us for lunch but then for taking time to tell us how much you enjoyed it... we hope to see you again..

Happy New Year from the entire team of Adare Manor...

Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We arrived early in the morning for a weekend away and were checked-in seamlessly to the self-catering townhouses. These were situated a short walk away from the manor near the clubhouse and spa. The clubhouse and townhouses were not signposted very well as we drove past them toward the villas. I found out later in passing conversation with another guest unrelated to us that we were not the only ones to have done so.
As I begin to unload our luggage I realized very quickly the heating had not been turned on in anticipation of our arrival. It was so cold I could not stay in the townhouse and left the premises quickly. I rang for transportation from the townhouse to the manor gates which arrived promptly.
Upon my return after a few hours I found the heating has been turned on since my departure. However there was still a chill in the air so I left for a very long lunch at the drawing room. I spent my time sitting by the beautiful fireplaces throughout the manor avoiding our cold accommodation.
I finally decided to take a dip in their heated swimming pool. There is a very well kept changing room with shower facilities, bathrobes, and an abundance of towels. I enjoyed the experience tremendously until I grasped the edge of the pool to realize the dip in the tiles along the edge of the pool was filled with a red-brown liquid. I left the pool immediately and never ventured in again.
After washing my hands I decided to spend my time in the steam room. There are about 3 or 4 seats in the chamber and they overlook the river Maigue, which is breathtaking. Here's a tip: as you enter the steam room avoid the first seat from the left as the steam outlet is right under it and I gave a great yelp as the back of my legs were burnt by the billowing steam. I may have missed the display of warning signs about this but I could be wrong.
The concierge was very friendly and helpful. However I cannot say the same for the other staff. I was approached by a male staff enquiring about my stay and I admitted to him the coldness of our townhouse and his reply was "That is odd." There were no further enquiries nor attempts to make our stay more comfortable. I was deeply disappointed.
Dining at Adare Manor was enjoyable and the atmosphere in the Tack Room was good. Drinks served at the drawing room were accompanied by little bitties which took our minds off the crumbs on our chairs and floor. However that is not enough to convince us that the manor is run to a 5-star standard.
I spent the weekend attached to the heaters or under the duvet while in the townhouse.

Room Tip: Avoid the townhouses - they have storage heaters.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mayburns,

Thank you for your review, which is disappointing to read, I would be grateful if you could contact me to discuss in person, my email address is: smcdade@adaremanor.com or ask for me by calling the hotel on 00 353 61 605200.

Chester, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed in the self-catering villas @ Adare Manor- our second time! They are spacious and beautiful! All of the amenities, very comfortable on a beautiful property, fun to explore. Full kitchen, washer/dryer, remote control fireplace, sun room, each bedroom has it's own full bathroom...couldn't ask for more!The picturesque town of Adare has grocery stores where you can purchase food to prepare in the villa, if you choose. Location is perfect as the home base to explore the west of Ireland. Definitely recommend staying here! We hope to return again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear jillcnm,

"Perfect" is our ultimate compliment, thank you so very much.... it is very much appreciated by our team... please make sure to let me know when you are coming back to us as I would love an opportunity to introduce myself.... in the meantime... Bhliain nua sasta !! (Happy New Year)....

Yorba Linda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We have stayed in the Villas on the grounds of Adare two times now. It is by far the nicest place we have stayed. The moment you arrive you are taken care of wonderfully. The villas are beautiful with lots of room. The first time we were there, there were six of us and it was still extremely spacious. I like the location to the little town. You could walk through the beautiful grounds and through a private gate and be in town. The ruins on the grounds near the golf course were amazing to walk to. I felt like it was pretty centrally located to the things that we wanted to see. Cliffs of Moher, Rock of Cashel, Dingle, Ring of Kerry, etc. I look forward to staying a third time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Beverly1960,

Thank you, thank you... for your fantastic review, we love "Perfection"... and are so delighted that we will be seeing you for a third time... ask for me during your next visit, I would appreciate an opportunity to introduce myself...

Until then... Happy New Year... from the entire Adare Manor Team....

Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Gorgeous views! Excellent Food! Fantastic Golf Course! This was an amazing place to stay. The hotel was top notch! I feel embarrassed calling it a hotel, because it was more of an adventure in grandeur, than a hotel. We enjoyed the food, the decor, the proximity to the town of Adare, and the people. The castles were amazing to view. The town is quaint. The size of the estate is enormous. The grounds are beautiful with flowers, hedges, and landscape that made me think I was living with Alice in Wonderland. If you go, take special note of the manor. There is a tour of the manor that is worth it! I enjoyed learning the history of the estate. I also liked petting the neighborhood cat that seemed to follow me around outside the Manor as I was taking pictures.

Room Tip: Every room is beautiful. We didn't have a preferrence. If you do go, I would suggest a room not...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Adare Manor Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!