“Good Food & Friendly Service” 5 of 5 stars

Landmark Hotel
Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ennis, Ireland
“Good Food & Friendly Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had my sisters Hen dinner here at the weekend, We had dinner booked in the Boardwalk Cafe for 7.30. The only let down was we had to wait nearly 45min for our starters which was annoying as we had planned to go to the cocktail bar after dinner for some drinks. But unfortunately there was no time as we only finished up at 9.30 and we had to jump on a cruise.
But the dinner made up for the delay, The starters and main course were absolutely fabulous everyone enjoyed it. My sister is celiac and has food allergy's and the waiter couldn't have been more helpful, Even got her a gluten free brownie for desert which wasn't on the menu.
All in all the food was lovely and the waiter that served us was excellent. I didn't get his name unfortunately but he was extremely pleasant & helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
LandmarkHotelCarrick, Director of Sales at Landmark Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Alfie 1986,
Thanks you for choosing to join us for dinner at The Landmark Hotel when you visited Carrick-on-Shannon for your sister’s Hen. Thank you also for taking the time write this review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your meal so much despite the unfortunate delay. Providing a high food standard and the best possible customer service to our guests is important to us all at The Landmark, it is something that we are very proud of, and so it is great to hear such honest feedback. I’m delighted that we were able to treat your sister to a delicious dessert which catered for her dietary needs and that you enjoyed your visit.
I wish you all a wonderful time at the wedding and a life of happiness and hopefully a trip back to Carrick-on-Shannon for your sister and her new husband!!!
Kind regards,
Aoife McCormack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stopped off here on a Sunday evening for a small bite to eat! Had food in the newly refurbished bar! Looks super modern! Great buzz around the place, families, young couples etc. seemed quite busy! I had the chicken Caesar as a main, my boyfriend had the chicken curry very tasty very fresh food! We were stuffed but had room for dessert the knickerbocker glory is amazing! Staff were sooo nice and looked after us very well, can't remember our waiters name? Sorry! Tall build dark, very mannerly!! Free parking here and it's bang in the centre we defo will be back again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Checkmate87,

I’m delighted that you stopped by and enjoyed the welcome, service and food of The Boardwalk Café! Thank you also for taking the time to write this great review. We work hard to ensure that every customer enjoys their Landmark Experience and that they leave with a smile. It sounds like you both did, which is great! All reviews are passed on to the team and so all of our ‘Tall dark’ service staff will also be smiling! We have a different menu during the week, with great Lunch Time and Evening Specials. We hope that you have the opportunity to join us once again to sample some of our other menus and that we have the opportunity to welcome you both back.
Sincere thanks for your custom and your feedback.
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here recently with another couple and I have to say it was fabulous. From the booking through arrival, checkin to checkout every member of staff could not be more helpful. Anything we looked for was supplied immediately. The hotel was busy but that didn't matter. There were no waiting times for anything. The food was simply amazing. Definately up there with anything I have ever experienced and very reasonably priced. Just thinking back on the dinner we were served makes me hungry now!!!

Rooms were spacious and warm. Beds were of luxurious comfort. All the TV channels worked (which seems a rarity in hotels). Even though hotel was busy there was no noise from any other rooms. The hotel seemed spotlessly clean throughout. Our friends were recently engaged and when I mentioned it to the hotel there was a beautiful welcoming fruit and chocolate plate waiting for them in their room congratulating them. Customer service here in this hotel should be an example to all hotels.

Hotel is perfectly located by the water and a 2 minute stroll to the town centre. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Cannot wait to get back here.

Room Tip: Book early and get there ASAP id you want a nice break!!! Definately take 20 minutes out to have a c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Paudie,
Thank you Paudie firstly for choosing to stay at The Landmark on your recent visit to Carrick-on-Shannon and secondly for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your time with us.
Customer Service is a culture at The Landmark; we work diligently to ensure that every guest enjoys the best Customer Service possible and that every request is tended to with pace, due consideration and of course – a smile. I was delighted to read that the service you received was beyond your expectation. Also, that our restaurant delivered on its very high reputation and standards whilst still offering genuine value for money.
We are blessed with our location, set overlooking the River Shannon right on the edge of the picturesque town of Carrick-on-Shannon. There is so much to do in Carrick, many right on the doorstep of the hotel. We do hope that the magic of Carrick will draw you back sometime soon and that we will have the opportunity once again, to welcome you both.
Congratulations once again to your friends on their Engagement and thank you sincerely for your custom and wonderful review.
Yours sincerely,
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

FABulous food....evening meal and breakfast delicious, great choice, freshly cooked
Staff so friendly, helpful and welcoming
Free parking
Rooms were quiet and warm, beds v.comfortable
From the moment the front door was opened for me our stay was wonderful! Check in was prompt and friendly. We were in a group of 15 for a hen. we ate late in the evening. The food was absolutely perfect. Loved the salmon, the vegetables were cooked just perfect. the dessert was tasty. A good choice even on a set menu. GF options were well catered for although it would have saved the awkwardness and time wasting asking about every dish if GF options were labelled on the menu. The room catered perfectly for our needs. Breakfast is cooked fresh to order and it was THE best omelette I have ever had. The porter on night duty was so patient, friendly and helpful even at the late hour! Can't wait to go back with my husband and kids and experience the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Erin,

Sincere thanks for taking time out from your busy day to review your stay at The Landmark Hotel. It is always so rewarding to hear just how our guests enjoy The Landmark Experience. We focus on quality and service, endeavouring to always go the extra mile for our guests (no matter how late the hour is!). I was delighted to read that our menu and breakfast product was to your liking and I am glad to say that we are currently undertaking a revision of our menus with GF and other dietary requirements clearly identified and catered for.
I do hope that you and your family come to visit Carrick-on-Shannon and enjoy the Landmark Experience once again!
Yours sincerely,
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed in The Landmark hotel in early December and found my stay to be very enjoyable from start to finish . We were a group of six and we found the hotel to be very central for us all to meet and stay for a couple of nights catching up.
On arriving we were very promptly checked in by the very friendly receptionist and within minutes we had settled into our rooms , which were very spacious and it had everything that you could ask for in a hotel room. The room was very clean and the toilet and shower facilities were top notch . Later that evening we decided to eat in the bar and all six of us agreed that it was one of the best meals we had ever had . The bar area itself is worth going to see for its very unusual decor . The hotel has an excellent location in relation to all the other bars in the town ie not too close but still everything within 5mins walk .
Our breakfast on both mornings was excellent ,served by very friendly and efficient staff . All in all we all really enjoyed our short stay in this excellent hotel which was great value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed on Saturday last, January . The receptionist was welcoming and efficient andI was in my room in minutes. It was comfortable, albeit a little too warm for my liking. Bed was firm and comfortable with goodquality crisp linen. Bathroom spotless and excellent shower pressure and temperature control etc. I had Cod tempura and chips (none ofyour "fries" or "frites") in the bar/grillroom with accompaniments. Fish was fresh, with nice, light, crisp batter and the chips were fine. The breakfast was excellent, with fully ripe pears, pineapple, oranges, backberries etc. all sliced and beautifully presented on a large, serve-yourself platter. Poached egg and bacon and proper brown bread, with a lovely nutty texture finished off a particularly good breakfast in the dining room which is calm and comfortably furnished. The waitress was exceptional: always keeping a discreet eye, checking you had everything you wanted without being over solicitous which can just irritate.

If you are a light sleeper, enquire about possiblelive music from functions underneath your room. It went on until after 1 a.m. but apart from this (which didn't affect me), this was a very happy stay and yes, I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, away from main road, perhaps so that you can open a window if room too w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Every year I stay in more than 40 or 50 bed-nights in Ireland on business trips and have being doing so for many years now. I was not impressed by my stay in this hotel. In fact I would go so far as to say that it was probably the most uncomfortable and unsettling hotel experience that I have ever experienced anywhere in my long travelling life.

When checking in I had to ask the receptionist to turn down the “background” music as I found it difficult to hear what she was saying to me and I am not generally hard of hearing. She did so somewhat reluctantly. Since I had arrived unannounced, and being of that age, I asked what Golden Years offers were available. I was told that this was only for couples. Now most hotels offer this package for single travellers also for obvious reasons especially in the “off’ season, but not this hotel apparently.

I asked for a quiet room as I have to spend quite a lot of my time working there. I specifically asked for a room far removed from kitchen and general ventilation fans in particular. When I arrived at my allotted room at around 6pm I could hear the fans from the corridor outside even before I went into the room. When I entered the noise was quite audible. I went back to reception and ask to be changed and was asked to fill in the check-in form again. I thought that this was a joke. It was not, and I refused. Incidentally the computer programmer needs to be quizzed on the necessity for this nonsense as it is a major operational faux-pas.

On examining the second room it was not any better than the first and I told the receptionist that I would go and stay elsewhere. I was then offered a suite with no extra charge. This was a quiet room and spacious. But there were problems here also. I could not work out how the lights worked in general. There were no bedside tables or lamps and one had to get out of bed in order to turn the light off and then walk back to the bed in the dark. It is lucky that I always carry a torch for emergencies. Now I was ready for and looking forward to a good night’s sleep. But, alas, it was not to be. The fire alarm went off twice during the night. They were both false alarms. But there was no phone call from reception so I called them I was told “it was just a false alarm”. Now this is a rare occurrence thankfully, but normally the staff have the ability to do an “all call” to occupied rooms with either a person or a recorded message. This was not the case here.

There were a couple of other things about the hotel which bothered me. One, was the constant “puff” of some fragrance or other from the air-conditioning, especially in the lifts, which reminded one of cheap deodorants so beloved of Woolworths in the 70s. The level of the back-ground music was objectionably high in all public areas and I ended up wearing ear-plugs while dining in the bar. This is the first time I have ever had to do this and I found the situation really bizarre. The lighting in the area also was less than conducive to relaxed dining. And that, with the multitude of television monitors all showing English Football League matches complete with sound that clashed with the piped music, did not help matters. It’s Sunday and football is god!

The only conclusion I can draw here is that the place is designed for young people who cannot live without constant noise and distraction. It is “No Country for old men!” Let’s leave it to the “hen” and “stag” parties.

Have I anything good to say about the place? Yes, the staff were generally civil and usually pleasant. Breakfast, although it took place in the bar, being a Monday, which, with the lurid blue under-counter lighting, resembled more a night club of doubtful repute (don’t ask me how I know!), was very good indeed with a good variety of dishes other than the traditional Irish breakfast. And again the service was efficient.

This is a really grand establishment in a great location with huge potential but whose focus is clearly aimed at a particular clientelle. Good luck to it then if it can survive. But for me, I shall not be back.

Room Tip: Don't accept any room not overlooking the river if you don't like the constant hum of air co...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Landmark Hotel? Share your experiences!