“That view!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Kilkenny, Ireland
“That view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed here one week ago for one night. We've got 2 rooms with the lovely sea view. The staff were all very helpful and friendly to us. We really enjoyed our cocktails in the bar. And the breakfast was nice indeed.

Thanks!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I made a last minute booking at this hotel after a stressful few days. As I arrived so late in the day I wasn't expecting much with the room options but the very kind receptionist Emma set me up with a beautiful room! I ordered room service later in the evening and the food was delicious! Breakfast the next morning was just as good with plenty of choice available. I found all of the staff friendly and helpful and will definitely be coming back. After returning home I recommended it to my mother who stayed for 2 nights the following week. Again thanks to Emma on reception who helped my mother get a beautiful room. During her stay she made use of the spa facilities and went for a treatment which she thoroughly enjoyed. She also enjoyed the delicious dinner and breakfast. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel...especially to stay in a harbour view room as the views are spectacular. I look forward to returning and thank you again to Emma on reception for making myself and my mothers stay so much more enjoyable.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I had a disappointing visit to this hotel due to the service. When we arrived around 6pm to a mostly empty hotel (the parking lot was <40% full), the woman at the front desk decided to play "let's make a deal" for a room upgrade. (We stayed a total of 6 other hotels during this trip in Ireland, and all offered free upgrades since the hotels weren't sold out due to the time of the year, except for Sheen Falls). They first said we could get a better view for 30 Euro, which we declined. Then that dropped to 20 Euro. Again, it just seemed sleazy. We told her we would reluctantly do 10 Euro for the upgrade, which she agreed to.

Then after she gives us the room keys, there's no bellhop anywhere to be found to help us with our bags. We lug our bags all the way up to the top floor, last door in the hallway. I open the hotel door and to my surprise, someone is already staying in that room!

We lugged our bags back down to reception and explained what happened. They were apologetic, but then took their sweet time to get us another room. I explained in no uncertain terms that we were not paying for the upgrade, and they agreed to take it off our bill.

Instead of sticking around for dinner there, we went into town and enjoyed great service

The room itself was very nice; felt brand new and the views were outstanding. It's unfortunate the service seemed so off for a "five star" hotel. The bar at the hotel was also good.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My friend was getting married in march so her husband to be booked us in (her, me and another bridesmaid) for a 1 night stay plus a spa treatment. Upon checking in we were advised the room was not ready even though the bride to be rang in advance and was assured it would be ready as we had spa treatments booked. The receptionist was of no help and extremely rude, sighing as though we were interrupting her day! We went upstairs to the bar for something to eat, ordered sandwiches which took 45 minutes to come out and when mine eventually arrived it had a hair in it. I informed the staff who offered another but as you can appreciate, the first one turned my stomach. Im also pregnant which infuriated me further because as an apology we were offered wine??? It was my food that was bad yet as a pregnant woman i was offered wine? Makes no sense. The manager was very nice and offered all the help he could to make our stay more enjoyable because the start was pretty bad. That evening we went for dinner and me and the bride ordered steak. Being pregnant i ordered mine well done, it came out medium to rare. At no point did anyone ask us if we were ok for drinks etc. We were left to our own devises. The waiter offered to poor wine in my glass at the beginning and i refused because im pregnant and he looked at me as if i had 5 heads! I was so embarrassed. The only saving grace to the whole stay was that the spa was beautiful and the girls there were very friendly and took such good care of us. It was meant to be a treat for the bride to be to relax before the big day and it was just a complete disaster. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone to stay there but would for a spa treatment.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'm just back from a week in Kinsale with my family staying in the Holiday Lodges at Carlton Kinsale. They were absolutely ideal for our family with 3 big bedrooms, all ensuite and a living area and small kitchen.

My boys loved having their own space and bathroom ( which was a real treat for them! ) and it allowed my wife and I to also have our own space in the evening once the kids were in bed. Only downside was that there is no internet connection in the lodges which is a shame!

Breakfast was included in our rate in the hotel and there was a pretty good selection of items, although being a Belfast man I always miss the potato bread and soda bread with a cooked breakfast - fried new potatoes with breakfast is just weird!

The hotel is located about 2 miles outside Kinsale village so is reasonably quiet although we were out and about all day so that was a good thing.

The pool is excellent although we had to buy swim caps to use it and the times for kids are limited in the evening. Having said that we had a great week - thanks!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Bandon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went here with two friends for a relaxing spa day and afternoon tea. The spa was fabulous and the staff in the spa very nice. However when we went for afternoon tea we were told by the barman we didn't have a booking. We had booked the spa and afternoon tea as package so we were 100% positive the booking was made. The barman very rudely and dropping smart comments said he could accommodate us even though the booking wasn't made, the area was completely empty so I didn't see how it was such an issue. The food came out quickly but I was extremely disappointed with it. The bread wasn't fresh and the food just disappointing. overall it was a very disappointing end to a lovely spa day. I wouldn't return here for another treatment day and I would be extremely slow to recomend to a friend.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
cork ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A nice hotel for a wedding. As this is nearly a weekly business for the hotel, staff should remember that a wedding is a very special day for the bride and groom. Be careful not allow the repetitive nature of you do to compromise customer care in the build up to the event. Our room, 117, was an upgrade. However, the only difference in our upgrade was a room was a sea view. The room also had been used previously by smokers and there was a stale smell of cigarettes. Some tiles in the bathroom floor were also broken and should be replaced.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale? Share your experiences!