“Good self catering houses.” 4 of 5 stars

Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rathmore Road, Kinsale, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Mayo ire
“Good self catering houses.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My family & I stayed here recently in one of their self catering houses! They are spacious and can fit comfortably a family of 6. Not too far from the hotel either which has lovely grounds and a swimming pool which kept the kids happy. The breakfast was nice. Overall a pleasant stay!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Fidelma O, Manager at Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Tom M,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review and for the lovely comments. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. If I can help with any future bookings, please don’t hesitate to contact me at fomalley@hotelkinsale.ie

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Treated my friend to a nights stay here for her 40th birthday. Staff were friendly on arrival. Lobby and hall areas a bit shabby looking. Room was lovely though and very clean. I would fault the lighting, very poor as only two bedside lamps and bathroom very dark, should have a dimmer switch. Shuttle bus into Kinsale but we were not made aware that they charged €3 which wasn't an issue if we knew but the bus driver was quite rude and had very little English. Disappointed that there was no residents bar, closed at 2am. Breakfast was lovely. All in all nice stay but I do feel overpriced for the quality of the hotel.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Boots2013

Thank you for your review and feedback, it’s very much appreciated. I would be delighted to ensure you get the best possible value for a future visit, during which we could also show you that we normally offer a level of service higher than that which you experienced on your most recent visit.

If I can assist with this or anything else, please do get in touch with me at fomalley@hotelkinsale.ie

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Just back from a lovely week in kinsale - we stayed in one one of the lodges which turned out to be a great idea. The hotel is lovely and the staff are friendly - there were a few weddings on during our stay so having the lodge to go to was great!! Especially as we were 2 families with kids .
The lodges are spacious and very comfortable - near enough to hotel for breakfast and drinks etc, but far enough not to be disturbed by wedding guests .
The bus into kinsale was a good idea- (€3 for adults- kids free)the drivers very accommodating when we wanted to go to a The Bulman .

We are planning to return again next year - might stay longer we enjoyed Kinsale so much :)

Stayed August 2014
Dear Dubmulders

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I spent two nights in this hotel as a guest at a family wedding. The views from the hotel are spectacular, overlooking a river and a bay. There are lively areas to sit out in to admire the view. The hotel itself is off the beaten track and can be difficult to find. The Garmin Sat Nav co ordinates for the hotel were incorrect and so it brought us through Kinsale and in a completely different direction. The rooms are large and spacious. Go for the rooms facing the bay. The lighting in the room is poor and the bulb in wardrobe was not working so it was hard to see. The hotel uses bit buzz for its wi fi service but it is very poor quality and a very weak. signal. The food at breakfast was excellent but the dinner was not great for the price charged. When my mother complained that the duck was not well done, the chef sent word back to say that there was nothing wrong with the duck?! The staff work very very hard and are friendly but clearly the hotel is understaffed in all areas of the hotel. This could be a really superb hotel with a few small changes. But I enjoyed the two days there and the wedding reception and meal itself were excellent, along with the service. The location is also stunning and relaxing.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Aquinasduffy,

Belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Stayed around Easter time. Weather was terrible but hotel food & location was excellent. Some front desk staff lack people skills but the barman was excellent.
Food was very good, rooms were nice but cleaner had to be reminded to clean my room on one occasion.

Room Tip: Harbour view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear tMCL,

Thank you for your review and feedback, it’s very much appreciated. I would be delighted to ensure you get the best possible value for a future visit, I can assure you further people skills training has been done with our front office team to deliver a better standard of service,

If I can assist with anything else, please do get in touch with me at fomalley@hotelkinsale.ie

Kind Regards

Killorglin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My husband and I had our wedding here on the 10th July 2014 and the staff were just exceptional! Nothing was too much trouble and they made our day so special. We didn't have to worry about a thing they took such great care of us and our guests. The food was just amazing and the service really outstanding. The ladies in the Spa deserve a special mention they were so patient and really knew what they were doing and we were delighted with their work and they are such a pleasure to be around. Every staff member was friendly, helpful and pleasant and we would like to say a huge thank you to you all! Huge thank you to Claire for all the effort you put into our wedding and making it so special.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Naomi112,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a wonderful review, I am delighted we could be part of your special day and will pass on your lovely comments to the rest of the team.
I would be happy to help with any future booking requirements you may have to ensure you get the best rate possible, and would be delighted to hear from you at fomalley@hotelkinsale.ie

Burnham-on-Crouch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is supposed to be a 4 star Hotel. Try 2 star.
Arrived on Sunday night 8.00pm went to room. Wanted coffee. Coffee tray dirty no milk. Asked reception. Never arrived. Went to bar looked as if a food fight had taken place, dirty plates stacked on all tables, food everywhere. There was a wedding taking place so thought the staff may have been busy else where. Nice meal, although terribly over priced, in restaurant. Went to room to go to bed to find a big clump of hair on the carpet and when my husband bent to undo his shoes he noticed food all under the bed. We were so tired we left things till morning, although wondering how clean the rest of the room really was. \Next morning we mentioned to reception about the hair and the food they said they would sort it out. Arrived back that evening after an exhausting day doing business to find hair and food still there. Once againmy Husband went to reception to complain. 20 minutes later some one arrived with a hoover to clean. Went to bar, once again dirty plates stacked on tables food everywhere along with menus on the floor. The bar counted was so dirty it was sticky. We asked for an Americano and a Cappucino. The bar person then proceeded to have a conversation with a collegue. 10 minutes later 2 Americano's arrived when told one should be a Cappucino she just put froth on top of one of them.
We were looking forward to taking some spa treatments on the final day but were unsure just how clean it would be. The same has to be said for the kitchens. If they can let their Guests rooms and bar area get like that what is the cleaning of the kitchens like!
This is not a 4 star spar hotel. No robes and slippers in the room. which means no way to relax should you take treatments in the spa.
The staff continue to talk to collegues or answer phones when they are supposed to be talking to you. At tops this is a 2 star Hotel.
The only plus point was the view from the hotels balcony.
At £280 per night this is just a joke.

Room Tip: Try and find a clean one.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear juie w,

Thank you for your review and please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced during your recent stay,

If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, I would be delighted to hear from you at fomalley@hotelkinsale.ie

Deputy General Manager

Been to Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale? Share your experiences!