“Brilliant hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rathmore Road, Kinsale, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
“Brilliant hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.though the location was a little out of kinsale,we loved this because u can still get a beautiful quiet location with unreal views.
Staff were excellent,we met a fantastic girl at reception called Avril.
I would highly recommend this hotel for weddings,between staff,location,great value,I can't fault it!

• Stayed August 2013
Patrick S, Manager at Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely review of the Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale. It was a delight to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit. We are always pleased when individual staff members are singled out for special praise and I have passed on all of your comments to our team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton Hotel Kinsale very soon and thank you again for your feedback.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Arrived and asked if we needed help with luggage. Traveling through we had 3 pieces and hanging bag etc. The person that came to help had no personality and my 84 year old husband helped him carry them to our room, apparently they did not have a cart. We drove to Kinsale because this Hotel is so far up in the hills and surrounded by nothing. On arriving back to the hotel we went into the bar. Most inviting place I've ever been. Stayed 10 minutes and decided our room was more inviting. This was 6:30 PM. An early night to be sure. Breakfast was a disaster. We were told to sit at a certain table and left alone for awhile. Finally someone asked if we wanted coffee or tea. WE asked to see a menu. We were to get breakfast with the room. The scones of which there was only one left looked similar in size to a pea. We went back to our room and carried our own luggage to our car. It was easier that way
Needles to say, this was probably the worst experience I've ever had in Ireland and this is my forth trip. Not a place I would ever go again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

If it is convenient for you I would be grateful if you could cntact me directly regarding your review at pshields@hotelkinsale.ie or by phone on (021) 470 6000.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hotel was very nice. Can not think of anything I would criticise except the fire alarm went off around 2-30 am. Room was good, clean. Not in the centre of town but it suited our purposes. Staff was very good and food was also good. I would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your visit to the Carlton Hotel Kinsale. We very much appreciate your comments regarding staff & food.

May I apologise for any inconvenience caused to you by the fire alarm. If there is anything that I can do for you in the future please don't hesitate to contact me at pshields@hotelkinsale.ie or by phone on (353) 21 470 6000.

Munster, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Location - outside of kinsale you end up driving more frequently than if staying in or closer the town. Hotel doesn't have a lot to keep you there every evening. No hotel evening entertainment, some background music in the spacious lobby area is all we observed. A bus service is available to bring people into kinsale, but we didn't use it.

Rooms - after a reservation mistake, we were upgraded to a suite, great space for all of us. Bed mattress was very poor and definitely needs changing, the dip in middle was obvious on arrival to room. All other aspects of room were very nice.

Good sized bathroom with bath and shower seperate. wardrobe space great for a family packed bag of clothes, and nicely closed off from the room. Top floor suites have a balcony (looking out over the bay would be fabulous (east facing room) other side looks over the entrance and carpark (west facing) getting more of the sunshine of the day.

Restaurant - we had a meal as part of our package, from a varied set menu, we had a very enjoyable meal and plenty of kids options too. Friendly staff in the restaurant as well as every other area of the hotel. Breakfast was very tasty, al a carte options in addition to the buffet. Plenty of everything that you'd expect in a 4 star available.

The Pool is a good size, great features in it to amuse the kids, very clean changing rooms with lots of room, a kids travel cot, a chair to keep a baby safe while you change. everything has been thought out well in these changing areas. Staff very friendly, even down to how they asked us so kindly not to have the kids jumping into the pool. We observed them helping elder patrons around the pool area.

Lack of any type of playground is really the only negative we had on the place, having small children it would have kept us around the hotel and using the facilities more if there was a swing/slide type set available for the kids.
The hotel had plenty of families with small children which would have enjoyed this extra feature too.

Room Tip: rooms facing carpark area (even room numbers) are brighter with most of the sun of the day but view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Patrick S, Manager at Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review of your visit to the Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale. We very much appreciate your feedback.

I am glad to inform you our suites now have brand new mattresses and we are doing an evening of music one night per week for the remainder of the summer. We also have Live Jazz every Sunday from 1pm to 3pm during our Sunday Carvery Lunch.

If there is anything that we can do for you in the future please don't hesitate to contact the team on (021) 470 6000 or at reservations@hotelkinsale.ie and thank you again for your review.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place is definitely worth the price. We had our wedding there last week and it was absolutely perfect in large part due to the Carlton's amazing staff, who were so sweet and completely on top of things. They worked flawlessly with every vendor I hired (DJ, baker, Photobooth, etc) and helped me get my dress pressed two days before the wedding.

The food served at our reception, the food served for breakfast, and the food offered at the bar is all delicious. Though the hotel is located away from public transport, they have a shuttle that runs back and forth to the beautiful village of Kinsale, which was a huge help for some of our guests.

Before staying in the bridal suite (which is GORGEOUS), I stayed with my bridesmaids in one of the garden suite bungalows, which was clean and very cozy. It's a good deal if there are 5 or more of you staying at the hotel.

Bottom line: if you're considering having your wedding there...do it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view out the back!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura,

Many thanks for your wonderful review of your wedding at the Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale. It was an absolute pleasure to cater to your friends and family on the day and we are delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience.

If there is anything that I can do for you in the future please don't hesitate to contact me directly at pshields@hotelkinsale.ie or by phone on (021) 470 6000 and I will be delighted to assist in any way I can.

We wish you all the very best for the future.

castletownbere
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on sunday the 16th of june.and all i can say is never again will i stay in any of the Carlton hotels.i have been in this hotel many times and loved it,but i checked in that evening to a room with no hot water at all for a shower or bath.i rang recption to be told a manager would ring me back,nothing .rang again,same thing nothing back,had to have a cold shower,my daughter did without a shower she couldnt face it,it was also a very wet cold evening,which made it worse,went for dinner what a disaster,ate the starter,got my main course,couldnt eat it,sent it back.ended up with cheese and crackers,true four star style!!!the dessert was as bad.left that too.the following morning we complained at reception,a man in a suit told us they had a problem with the hot water in that room and thought it was fixed,told them about the food,they charged us full price and told us the manager would ring us later,im still waiting for the call,i then wrote a letter addressed to the general manager and guess what surprise surprise im still waiting for a reply to that too.,So avoid this hotel if this is the treatment they are giving their guests

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It was with regret we received your review on Trip Advisor. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at pshields@hotelkinsale.ie or by phone on (021) 470 6000 to discuss your comments further.

Patrick Shields
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Had a two night stay here from July 24th with my husband and daughter. This hotel is located about three miles outside of Kinsale in a very scenic location...great for a wedding...and there happened to be one there during our stay. On arrival to the hotel we were greeted and provided with our room key and direction to the room. All very formal really...The room itself was smaller than I expected as they are advertised as spacious and decorated with the guest in mind???? The room was clean and had the usual facilities but perhaps not what one would expect of a 4 * hotel. the bathroom did have a separate shower ...which was lovely. The TV was outdated and the furniture very dark. Bed was comfortable which was a plus. No water in rooms, no newspapers in reception area either. Breakfast was ok ...but would not meet the 4* standard....wet bowls, wet plates, glasses straight from dishwasher, the staff spent more time trying to sort out the toaster (get it operating efficiently)than looking after the guests. The hot buffet breakfast was unappealing. We did get some pancakes on our second morning.. The meal in the restaurant was okay...nothing spectacular, the waiter was friendly and pleasant (about the only member of staff who was). My husband had ordered tea on arrival..which we are still waiting on. The general overall feel is the hotel lacked any atmosphere, no interest given to the guests not attending weddings...no music in bar...actually you were lucky if you could find someone to serve a drink. Restaurant very quiet. Outside decking area was closed off for use by wedding party only. There is a regular bus service in to kinsale town, but it does cost 3 euro each way. This could be a lovely hotel ...if some thought was given to ways of improving stay for the general guests...Overall it was a very disappointing stay...and I would have asked to speak with the duty manager prior to leaving but I was not even asked on checkout how I had found the stay or if everything was to our satisfaction. Would not be in a rush to recommend ...sorry Carlton Kinsale....you just did not get it right this time :(

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. It was with regret we received your review and I would be grateful if you could contact me directly to discuss further. Please e-mail pshields@hotelkinsale.ie or call (021) 470 6000 at your convenience.

Deputy General Manager

Been to Carlton Hotel & C Spa Kinsale? Share your experiences!