“Authentic Italian food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Maynooth, Ireland
“Authentic Italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Three of us found ourselves in Clonakilty at 7.30 pm on Saturday night. We rang a number of restaurants but they were booked out. We found Mio's driving around looking for parking. The menu was 75% authentic Italian with a selection for the Irish palate. We were warmly welcomed by the waitress who spoke Italian but being from Albania.

We had one portion of bruschetta ( which was adequate shared for three) with tomatoes and mozzarella which was good although one felt the bread was too crisp and too much oil. Main courses: 1. the ravioli with ricotta and spinach filling with a tomato sauce was excellent, 2. cod with a lemon and caper sauce with potatoes roasted with rosemary was also really good and 3, the seafood risotto was cooked perfectly al dente and had squid, mussels, scallops and prawns was good but let down a little by the shellfish being frozen. We had Peroni beer and a reasonable house white from Abruzzo. At €70 it was excellent value. Recommended!

• Visited June 2013

Alessandria, Italy
“Good pizza, even for Italians!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I am Italian, so I'm probably pretty hard to please when it comes to pizza, when I'm abroad. I was even part of a group of 9 (all Italians!) when I visited Mio's. Nevertheless, we all agreed that Mio's pizza was very good indeed! It was probably less salted than what we are accustomed to, but it tasted really good. I was brave enough to order a pizza that is pretty weird for an Italian: pizza with Cheddar cheese and Ragù Bolognese (we put ragù on pasta, most Italians will laugh at the idea of putting it on pizza), but still I really enjoyed it. Service was perfect as well and the toilets were clean.

Besides, I don't usually eat pizza abroad, as I prefer to try local food. But we couldn't find any in Clonakilty, even if it was not very late yet (8:15 pm or so). Even Mio's was closing, but we talked to the owner and she kindly agreed to keep the restaurant open for us. This really signifies attention to the customer, and we are very thankful for it!

• Visited May 2013
Galway, Ireland
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Very nicely put together food, a little on the pricey side of average, I'd say, but the quality is there. Would recommend.

• Visited April 2013
London
“Good food but pricey pizzas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Have been to Mio's a couple of times since it was first recommended to me. I have never been let down by the food and it is always tasty, however I feel that for the casual dining atmosphere of the place that the menu is expensive, both food and drink-wise. Service is very good, and there is never a problem wrapping up leftovers to bring home. The stairs access to the restaurant could cause problems for some older customers.

• Visited February 2013
Ringwood, Hants.
“Maybe an off night?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We went there last night and had the Irish burger which was crispy(the meat!) and the black and white tagliatelle with salmon which was lumps of salmon in a nice creamy sauce but not the delicate flavour I would have expected.

Good service. Stairs are a bit of a pain, wouldn't like to have had one or two too many!

• Visited December 2012