“The Superb and the not so!” 4 of 5 stars

Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clonakilty, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Ireland
“The Superb and the not so!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Superb:Location-Stunning views and less than a minutes walk to a lovely beach,suitable for all ages,with lifeguards on duty.
Staff-Welcoming,warm and friendly.
Room-Spacious,clean and decorated in modern dark tones.Rooms on the ground level have patios and above have balconies(all having a sea view).Would recommend rooms away from entrance of the hotel, as the public have a great view of you sitting outside on your balcony.Besides, the early morning sun hits the other side,allowing you to read your papers while enjoying a coffee courtesy of the inroom Nespresso machine.
Dunes Bar and Restaurant-Great food served outside,weather permitting.
Breakfast-Fantastic choice

The not so-Gulfstream Restaurant-Lacked atmosphere(felt I was on a empty cruise ship).The food was ladden with far too many flavours.Why complicate good quality ingredients!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Inchydoney, Manager at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2010
Thank you for your frank comments. We are delighted to hear the positive aspects of your stay with us and are glad that you enjoyed most areas of the hotel. We were disappointed to note that you didnt enjoy your experience in the restaurant. We will be taking your concerns to the relevant departments.

We hope that you will visit us again in the future, when we can exceed your expectations and look after you and your guest.

regards
Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Cobh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

On booking I explained the reason for the trip to the reservations team & asked for a really nice room. We stayed in room 314 which lived up to all of the expectations.. It gave me a lift to meet so many nice young people (and not so young also!) who were totally tuned in to looking after the customer and the importance of this. Well done to the owner & managers of the hotel whom I have to say have done their homework & who must also treat their staff well as everyone seemed to be so happy in their various roles.

Stayed June 2010
Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the future for a longer stay.

regards
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Just wanted to write a few lines to tell of the most wonderful relaxing weekend we just spent at the Lodge & Spa .

From start to finish the whole trip was pure bliss. Friday afternoon drinks sitting outside Dunes bar in glorious sunshine after a great day on the beach . Dining in the wonderful restaurant where I had one of the nicest pieces of fillet washed down with a brilliant 'Chianti Classico'. The coffee creme brulee was also to die for.

Spent Saturday morning lazing around the pool area and reading the newspapers in the relaxation room. My only regret was not booking for the Saturday night also .......... next time for sure..........

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Inchydoney, Manager at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind regards
Meath
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

2001 we visited this hotel for the first time, it was amazing, so much so that we've been there at least once a year thereafter.... up until last year. Over the years there have been services the hotel offer we have decided not to use the following year, for example two waiters arguing with each other in 'The Gulf Stream Restaurant' and the food being no more than average. The following year we didn't bother trying that restaurant. Over the following years we used less of the facilities in the hotel due to the lack of quality. The only thing that kept us returning was the beach and pool.
Over the years we have had 3 children, all of which celebrated birthdays at the Hotel, we celebrated our anniversary on a number of occasions in the Hotel, all memorable occasions.
Last year all of this changed.7 months prior to our holidays, I confirmed the exact apartment we wanted. we were told there shouldn't be a problem as it had not been booked and we were regular customers to the hotel there wouldn't be a problem...deposit taken. 'Promised a particular apartment, on arrival given an apartment we specifically confirmed we didn't want. After a long debate they moved us to another apartment in the last block but better than the one they give us initially which looked into the hotel rooms.
2009 WAS A DISASTER. The apartment we stayed in was showing a lot of wear and tear. With no choice in the matter we decided to say nothing and make the best of what we had.
One evening we had put the 3 boys to bed around 8. Around 9/9.30 I thought I heard one of the boys and went down to check on them,all was well and I went back to the living room area of the apartment. A couple of minutes later , another noise, checked the boys again, all asleep.
The next morning my 'Raymond Weil' watch (my wife's wedding gift to me)was missing. The only bit of our jewellery not put in the safe which was in the boys room.
As annoyed as I was with the missing watch, the anger I have had to this day still haunts me to think somebody was in the room with our boys (6,4 &2).
Coming from a profession whereby my company is responsible for the management of over 600 properties, I done plenty of screaming about the watch (police reports, full report to reception, report to insurance company,phone call to solicitor etc.). I was told by my legal team the hotel would throw a hoteliers act at me for not having the watch in the safe, so I picked up the safe which was not attached to the wall, and got my wife to take a picture of me at the front door of the apartment with it under my arm so I could take legal action when I went home.
Icing on the cake: We were leaving, the boys helping get all to the car etc. The cleaner shouts up the stairs at us “ don't close the door, the reception have lost the keys to this block so stick a chair to that door for me will you love”. 'Back to the reception area to complain, tried to keep cool, wife wouldn't let me tackle it the way I wanted, receptionist ooooosed with empathy, we paid our bill and left never to return. This Hotel had a duty of care to let the residents of our block know the keys had went missing and they should have changed the locks.
This hotel now specialise in empathy, anything more than that is paid for handsomely.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

My girlfriend and I visited here last week for a two day break.

As Inchydoney markets itself as a 'spa hotel' we had high expectations for the Spa. We had come from the Angsana Spa in the Brehon hotel in Killarney where we had been treated to an amazing Spa experience.

If you are planning a trip here please don't rely on the Spa - the pool allows children (listening to screaming kids is not relaxing), the sauna and steam rooms are old and tiny, the treatment rooms are laughable in their attempts to create a calm atmosphere (projecting a sun set on to a wall!!).

The range and quality of both the treatments and facilities compared to the Angsana Spa is so poor you would wonder how they get away with charging the prices they do.

The gulf stream restaurant is pretentious and an example of everything that is wrong with the Irish food scene - They dress up their dining experience with a veneer of French cuisine respectability (with the prices to match) but were unable to cook a basic steak (asked for medium and it came out well done!). When in this region do yourself a favour and check out a real restaurant (Chapter 40 in Killarney or Fishy Fishy in Kinsale).

To be fair, the location is stunning and rooms and hotel staff were nice. But just don't rely on the Spa or restaurant to make your holiday.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Positives

Great location on the beach and beautiful views

The reception staff and Maja in the restaurant were really friendly and very helpful.

The rooms were just ok but we had a balcony with a beautiful view that sort of made up for it.

Negatives

Expensive at €190 a night! I don't think it is worth this much. Would not stay again at this price. I think €100 a night would be more reasonable for a hotel of this standard.

The spa looks a lot better in the pictures on the website.

The bar food was pretty horrible (not sure how u can go so wrong with smoked salmon + bread ) and it took forever to be served. I ordered wine and never got it,
then the waitress tried to charge us for 2 desserts that we didn't have.

I thought the restaurant was trying a bit too hard - Foie gras, caviar and violet potatoes just seemed a little pretentious for this hotel. The food we did have was nice enough though.

The hallways are pretty old and grotty and there was awful smells lurking about. They need to get some new carpets and paint the halls in a light colour.. Its way too dark folks!!

The bathrooms could have been better - they were clean but nothing special.

I had the feeling that a lot of the staff were the local teenagers with summer jobs!!

cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

I stayed in the apartment for 2 nights, and found the accommodation basic not very clean with a broken bin and toilet. On check out the reception staff tried to charge me 150e more and refused to believe me until i got receipts out of the apartment bins!! This weekend was a birthday treat from my family but i felt upset and not pampered on departure.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!