“Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Clonakilty
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

This is a truly fantastic hotel. The staff were excellent and really friendly from the minute we arrived until the minute we left, the decor in the rooms was gorgeous, the balconies overlooking the sea are a really nice touch, it's so nice to step out in the morning and smell the fresh sea air. Loads of nice little touches in the room which really made the holiday. Rooms were spotlessly clean as well.

The spa is fantastic, well worth the money, and the treatments are very professional and relaxing. I'm really not a spa person but I loved it here, especially the 'relaxation room' where you wait for your treatments with complimentary juice, coffee, herbal teas, fruit etc. Again little touches make the difference. A little tip - ring up and book your treatments in advance, I wanted one which was unfortunately unavailable when I asked in the morning. Had I booked it a couple of days before I would have been alright.

The hydrotherapy pool, steam room and sauna are open to all guests for unlimited use and they are all fantastic - the hydrotherapy pool uses heated and treated sea water and it's easily the most relaxing pool I've ever been in!

We only dined in the Dunes bar but the food was delicious and the staff were friendly even though it was busy, service was a tad slow but the staff were extremely apologetic and the atmosphere was nice. Nice to sit outside as well and eat with a view of the Atlantic. Breakfast in the Gulfstream restaurant was gorgeous, lots of choice and really delicious food, good mix of hot and cold.

Overall this hotel really does have a "resort" feel about it - it is in a remote location, and we didn't have a car, but the hotel was so nice we were content to spend all our time there! The location astride two gorgeous blue flag beaches is perhaps one of the hotel's most stunning features and it makes it such an ideal place for a 'get away' break.

All in all I really can't recommend this hotel enough, we can't wait to go back. It far exceeded both of our expectations and we've been recommending it to all our friends!

• Liked — Great service, great atmosphere, wonderful rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

My boyfriend booked this for a Christmas Present. We arrived on a cold wet Friday evening and it was really a perfect stay. The rooms are lovely. The dining room upstairs was divine. I was doing 6 treatments as part of the package but to be honest it was too much as I was rushing around to them and then you are advised to take breaks between them. Next time, i go I would do only 2 treatments so that I would not be as tied down. The sandy beach is wonderful. Breakfast choice good. Would recommend but watch that you pay more for drinking upstairs than in the main bar.

• Liked — Its away from everything - Peace and quiet
  • Disliked — A little on pricey side but ok as a treat
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled as a couple
Limerick
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

My boyfriend booked this hotel as a surprise for me for my birthday and paid €800. We book a good few weekends away and when I saw the price he was paying I really thought that this was going to be something really special. Prior to our stay we had looked up the website at the gallery which is pretty bad but saw a room that looked lovely. When we arrived at the hotel the outside was very shabby but the reception area was lovely. The girl that greeted us gave us a glass of sherry and really raised our expectations. We were escorted to our room by a very grumpy young man who didnt entertain our small chat. When he opened the door my jaw dropped I thought there must be some mistake this cant be our room for €800!!!! Well indeed it was our room and let me just say it was very small indeed. My boyfriend was gutted needless to say as it was his first time booking a hotel for us and he really thought we were going to be staying in luxury but it was just like staying in a Jurys inn only a small bit more plusher. We had no seaview although you could just about see the sea at the corner of the window if you stood at a certain angle!! The spa area was nice but one of the relaxation rooms was overlooking a carpark and we had the pleasure in seeing someone changing out of their wetsuit into their clothes!! On a more postive note the food was delicious and one dinner was included in our booking. It was one of the most disappointing experiences I have ever had. Please shop around for hotels as this one is definitely not a good example of a good value hotel in Ireland. We are going away soon and are staying in a 5 star hotel in Cork for €300 for two nights for the two of us €500 in the difference!!!

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — The view, So expensive and dated I dont know if this column is big enough!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Liverpool, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

I stayed at Inchydoney from Friday 1st - Sunday 3rd August. I was in a group of 5 girls travelling there for my hen do.

Even before we arrived at the hotel, I experienced wonderful service - I booked the hotel early last year and was given 2007 rates without question as I was booking so early. Every time I emailed reservations my emails were answered promptly and politely and Trish who I spoke to even suggested things to do whilst we were there.

I don't actually think that the website pics do this place justice - when we arrived, it took my breath away. The hotel is right on the beach and the views are incredible. The hotel had arranged for a taxi to collect us and this particular taxi company looked after us all weekend which really is a bonus having someone you can trust to pick you up and drop you off bang on time and give you lots of tips along the way.

As soon as we arrived we were offered a glass of orange or Irish mist - we took the latter but it was very strong! :-) Then we were shown to our rooms. Every room has a beautiful glass balcony with a sea view so when we walked in to the room we were all so taken aback. I would recommend staying on the top floor as the views are best up here.

On our first evening we ate in The Gulfstream Restaurant as a meal here is part of your Island Break package. Again, the views in here are stunning and the service is wonderful. And the food is amazing! We were given sorbets to cleanse our palate in between courses as well which was a lovely touch.

Breakfast is also served in the Gulfstream and it is incredibly varied. You have a choice of a full Irish breakfast or eggs made to order, pancakes and all the usual continental stuff plus meats and cheeses - I was completely spoilt for choice!

The spa is also very nice - I had two treatments and both ladies who treated me were lovely and very professional and I felt so relaxed afterwards. The pool and sauna and changing rooms were also lovely and very clean.

The service in this hotel is absolutely outstanding. If you wanted anything bringing to your room it was there within moments. We asked for a selection of things from more towels, robes, to ice buckets and champagne glasses and it was all sent up within 5 minutes and always by very pleasant, happy staff. On our first evening my sister was waiting for a bottle of pink champagne in the bar and the bar manager noticed her waiting and asked if everything was OK and she said it was, that she was just waiting for the champagne and he immediately shot off and got her a bottle from the back within moments and told her to sit down and he would bring it right over. Service like this really does make a difference to your stay.

As for Clonakilty, the local town, well its just brilliant! If you are going make sure you go to De Barra Bar for some live music - excellent band we saw there on Saturday night. Also, a bar called Scannells (I think - its that or Scanlans!?) in the town had a live band on the Sunday afternoon - great atmosphere out in the courtyard behind the pub. I would also highly recommend O Keefe's restaurant which is part of The Emmet Hotel - lovely food and service. I wouldn't recommend Richy's Restaurant and Bistro - we had to leave there after one course as the chicken was undercooked and the service was diabolical.

Also, whilst we were there we had a surfing lesson - there is a surf school opposite the hotel and its brilliant - loads of fun and the instructors are fab. Its €35 for a 2 hour lesson which I think is really reasonable as you have such good fun and its addictive once you start!

I would honestly say ignore the bad reviews - I couldn't find anything at all negative about this hotel, we had a truly amazing stay! cannot wait to take my Hubby to be there now!

• Liked — The service, views, food, everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

Beautiful location,nice rooms,fantastic residents lounge.
Pool great for Kids. Beach was wonderful.
The Sand Dune bar could do with a shake up.Ther appears to be very little management prescence on the shop floor. If you want personal attention then this is probably not for you. Having said all that,I would and probably will return.

• Liked — Lovely views and residents lounge
  • Disliked — The service in Sand Dune
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yatton, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

We stayed at Inchydoney for a couple of days on our honeymoon. First the positives; its easy to find, check-in is easy and you're offered a drink, the rooms are large and comfortable and the views from the balcony unquestionably spectacular. But for the cost you'd expect that, its the little things that let this hotel down, the spa is a bit of a convayer belt and you get exactly the same treatment as the last person, the dishes on the menu are a touch overcomplicated, the self catering accommodation means that a small hotel feels big with no feeling of exclusivity, and the bar was full of kids when we visited.

Stayed July 2008
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

I booked a 2 night stay for my girlfriend and myself. After a short drive from Cork we found this wonderful hotel. The check in was every quick and we where shown to our room and our bags where carried for us.

The view over the beach was amazing, I only wish it had a balcony. My girlfriend used the spa and enjoyed the treatments, while I stayed in the bar, a very country feeling bar area with open fire :-) . The place over all was very clean and staff helpful.

The breakfasts where very good. We did have an eveing meal at the hotel, which was very good, steak was just how I like it.....Full marks!

I can imagine that in the summer mouths the place is very busy and I can guess that the beach will be busy. The walk along the beach 1st thing in the morning was something else, very cold and very quite but very enjoyable.

I would recommed the hotel, although its expensive for what it is it is a very good hotel.

Tips

There is things to do close to the hotel so dont think that the hotel is on a island and you cant do anything because you can. The town close by have a supermarket and a few shops. During the winter months there is a boat trip to see whales! very good trip although we didnt see any!

Any questions please do ask

• Liked — Location to the beach and the views
  • Stayed February 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!