“Wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Clonakilty, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
“Wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed here on a sunny weekend in early June and it was fantastic. The setting is simply amazing - right on the beach. Wonderful for early morning runs, late evening walks or for children, surfers and all beach lovers. Our room had a balcony with a view of the beach and the sea - lovely. The second highlight of our stay was our wonderful meal in the hotel's main restaurant. We have eaten in a lot of restaurants around the world, especially in France, but this meal could equal any one of them. Compliments to the Head Chef, Adam Medcalf. The staff in the hotel were so friendly and helpful and no request was too much trouble, even down to the (very particular) way I like my breakfast coffee. Food allergies were also handled without difficulty. The views over the sea in the breakfast room just added to the enjoyment. One final thing - you have just got to try the walnut bread. We would go back just for this, even if nothing else. You just have to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Holly

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review on Tripadvisor.

I have passed on your kind words to all the team, but especially to Adam Medcalf and his team, who really were thrilled to be mentioned and receive such high praise. We all love the walnut bread here, so I was delighted that you enjoy it as much as we do, its very popular with our guests.

I'm glad you found the staff friendly, I really am very proud of each and every one of them, so thank you for mentioning them.

I very much hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Inchydoney in the near future.

Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel is in my top two hotels in Ireland. Everything about it is fantastic. The staff, service, food, facilities, value and accomidation are all excellent. If you want a relaxing place to go then I recommend this hotel highly. I keep going back.

Dear Myles

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor.

I was especially pleased to read that Inchydoney is one of your two top hotels in Ireland.

I have passed on your kind comments to all the team, who were delighted to receive such high praise and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed for a few nights and this place is incredible. Already looking to go back later this year. Stunning location, extremely helpful staff and well priced. Great place to stay and visit the local area, Clonakilty has great bars and theres lots to do also in the surrounding area. Truly magnificent!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear thedoc342

Thank you so much for your lovely comments and taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you thought the location was stunning and the staff were helpful and friendly. We pride ourselves on our staff and I have passed on your kind words to all the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at Inchydoney in May for two nights. While there I also indulged in some spa services and meals at both the Pub and the main restaurant, Gulfstream. I parked my car when I arrived and did not leave the entire time I was there....they have it all....food, music, relaxation, the beautiful beach and sea views, ridiculously friendly and helpful staff, atmosphere, a wonderful library/lounge, and even home made chocolates on your pillow every night. Breakfast was delicious, lunch was amazing, and dinner was spectacular. I truly enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor, facing the sea. The view is priceless and you'd have your own p...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Melissa0813

Thank you for your lovely comments, I'm glad to read that you had a great stay with us in May. I have passed on your feedback to the rest of the team.

We hope to see you again in Inchydoney in the future and look forward to your return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights last week and we are still talking about it. We travel a fair bit and I only occasionally post on Tripadvisor about it, but this time I just had to share. We had a marvellous stay in Inchydoney would definitely return. The staff are wonderful, so friendly, efficient and professional in every way. The room was huge and well appointed (415) and the view was magnificent. It's the little things that made this hotel exceptional - the discrete turndown service with handmade chocolates, and notification of the next day's weather; the crisp linens with breakfast and afternoon tea (you HAVE to try the afternoon tea!), the superb breakfast - including the option of fresh fish caught that morning (John Dory, Seabass). It was wonderful to sleep with the balcony door WIDE OPEN and the sound of the sea lulling us to sleep - best recuperative stay EVER!! I had a spa day which includes lunch and can recommend the detox package - seawater therapy bath, seaweed wrap and 45min massage. Heaven. Oh I wish I was back there already!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor for optimum views.
Dear TravelOrUs

Thank you for taking the time out to share your experience in this forum. Its wonderful to hear that you had a great stay with us and that you are planning to return.

Yes the Afternoon Tea in the Lounge is really a must I think and I'm glad you took time to enjoy it.

We look forward to seeing you again and welcoming you back to Inchydoney.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here for one night as a birthday treat and we could not fault the excellent level of service we received. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel so welcome. Our room was a deluxe room overlooking the beach and the views are fantastic. We ate in the bar on arrival and had dinner in the restaurant that evening. Both were lovely, yes the restaurant is expensive but well worth it for the dining experience we received.The staff are extremely helpful and we felt that nothing would be too much trouble.
The hotel itself is beautiful, modern and comfortable and very clean and in a great location right beside the sea. We did not visit the spa so cannot comment on that but the pool area was very relaxing. Great choice at breakfast. Small touches like the homemade jam on departure were great and the attention to detail in all areas was exceptional I felt! Will definitely be returning as soon as I can!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paulf1986

Thank you taking the time to share your lovely review. Its wonderful to read such lovely comments.

I'm delighted that you both enjoyed the birthday treat and look forward to welcoming you back to Inchydoney again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had just the one night at Inchydoney and were sorry that we didn't book a few more nights. From the courtesy phone call the day before our check in to our departure we encountered top class customer service from every member of staff we encountered. Check in is relaxed and friendly and includes a welcome drink of Irish Mist if you like, a friendly porter takes you to your room and is full of useful information about the hotel. The room itself is very well appointed and comfortable with a great view of the sea and the bathroom is well stocked with good quality toiletries. There is a very comfy resident's lounge to relax in with a newspaper, a reading room and a dedicated children"s playroom. We had a meal in the pub that night and again were impressed with the service, going 'off menu' wasn't a problem and the food was great. The breakfast goes on until 11am, very civilized and this allows you to have a swim in the salt water spa before breakfast. The staff at breakfast were very relaxed and welcoming when we turned up at 10.50am, at no point were we made to feel under pressure, total laid back atmosphere in the breakfast room was very pleasant and the food was topnotch with a great selection. The room turndown service was unobtrusive and pleasant and any time we passed a member of staff in the hotel we got what came across as a genuinely friendly greeting. Check out was equally positive and the whole experience was topped off with a little present of a pot of their homemade jam, great marketing folks!! Keep this up and you will be setting a precedent for other hotels across Ireland. We'll definitely return!

Room Tip: Sea Facing!
Dear lorayned

Thank you for such wonderful high praise, Im delighted to read the great comments and feedback. I have passed the review on to the rest of the team and we are all delighted with the feedback - thank you.

Its great to read that you had such an enjoyable stay at Inchydoney and we look forward to looking after you again in the future.

With Kind regards

Proprietor

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!