“Standards are slipping” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Clonakilty
Ireland
“Standards are slipping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed here back in 2009 with my wife and we had a wonderful weekend, perfect! We went back again recently with our two children and were surprised at how the hotels previously high standards have slipped somewhat alarmingly.

The thing is it wouldn't take that much to fix, clean the windows, give the hotel a lick of paint especially the residents lounge, clean the gutters, clean the extractor fans in the bathrooms. I asked my wife for one word to describe the hotel and she said "Shabby", I'm inclined to agree with her.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Inchydoney, Owner at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear TPO1

Thank you for your feedback, I am disappointed to read that you didnt enjoy your stay as much as in previous times. I have taken note of the issues you mentioned and can assure you that these will be dealt with by the relevant departments.

Again, my apologies and I do hope that you might return to Inchydoney again for a more memorable stay with us.

1,246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I traveled to Inchydoney on my own for a few days and the first thing that struck me about the hotel is the location, the view of the beach is breath taking. As soon as I walked into the hotel I felt very welcome, the staff are very friendly and have clearly had excellent customer service training. I was brought to my room which was perfectly clean and I had an amazing view from my balcony. I visited the spa which is lovely, although I didn't think the treatments were spectacular.

The food in the bar is very very tasty and they were more than willing to facilitate what I, and other customers, wanted i.e. dairy free, vegan, gluten free etc. The room service menu is limited but the service and quality of food was very good. I expected a lot for breakfast but was not very impressed by the variety of what was available. That is the only negative thing I have to say about this hotel.

Overall my stay was very comfortable and enjoyable. I have been back to visit since and when I walk in the staff know who I am and I left after each stay with a yummy jar of homemade jam. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Dear Schnucs

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments, I am delighted to see that you have become a regular visitor to Inchydoney.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

we stayed for a week in the self catering apartments.
it all looked great on the website but when we arrived we found the apartment to be more like a student flat. Dirty smeared windows ruining what is actually a great view out to sea and beach. All surfaces grubby and grimy - kitchen gross and needing a deep clean. Rubbish hob and grill, wonky kettle, disgusting extractor fan, hanging wires off intercom, stained carpets, smelled unclean.
Dirty crockery and cutlery and cupboards.
Dunes pub food overprices and poor quality in again dirty surroundings.
Spa/pool ok but in need of refurbishment and modernisation.
We complained - took 2 days for windows to be cleaned.
Got different crockery and cutlery just put back into dirty cutlery drawer and cupboard - so we just put everything through the dishwasher which was not washing properly by the end of the week.
we voiced all our dissatisfactions and were told "that should not be happening" - wondered if the hotel staff really understood what was happening on the self catering side.
Don't go.
We stayed our last night of the holiday in a lovely and refreshingly clean B&B near the airport.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear emma j

I understand that one of our team has been in contact with you regarding your comments and your experience at Inchydoney. I am sorry that you didnt enjoy your Inchydoney Experience and I hope that we can resolve any issues

Athlone, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I decided to really spoil my boyfriend for his 31st birthday so I booked two nights at Inchydoney. I had been to the hotel and spa before and absolutely loved it so I knew we were in for a treat! We arrived much later than expected on the Sunday night as a result of the Kilkenny/Tipp match traffic, which we hadn't even considered before leaving. We were greeted with a glass of Irish Mist by a cosy fire at reception and when we were ready, were shown to our room, where a bottle of red wine and handmade chocolates awaited us.....definitely the quickest way to my heart.....We had a few drinks in the residents lounge and had an early night. The following morning after a fabulous breakfast we went for a walk along the beach by the hotel and then went for a swim in the hotel pool. We both had the Muscle Melt massage which I must say was absolutely divine (thanks to Sarah Jane!) That evening we booked dinner in the hotels Gulf Stream restaurat. We had the most delicious 5 course meal for just 58 euro each. I had foie gras and sea bass, my boyfriend, who is a chef himself, had the rabbit and the skate and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meals which were cooked to perfection. We had cocktails in the residents lounge after the meal and decided then and there to stay an extra night! The following day we hopped into the car and went into Clonakilty, Roscarbery, Glandore, Union Hall, Castletownshend, Skibbereen and Baltimore. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking! We returned to the hotel, had a swim and sauna and decided to treat ourselves to dinner in the restaurant again. The food as before was second to none and excellent value for money and the service was top class. We had a nightcap in the residents lounge yet again and retired for the night. The following day we didn't want to leave but alas, all good things must come to an end. Thanks so much to all the management and staff of Inchydoney Island for making our stay so special, relaxing and memorable, we'll definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Inchydoney, Manager at Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear Lou0082

I am delighted to read your lovely comments, thank you. I have passed on your praise to the rest of the team here.

We do hope to welcome you both back again soon, maybe you could drop some hints for your own birthday!!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Just returned from a very enjoyable weeks holiday here with my wife and three children. My parents, brother, sister and her husband also joined us for a few days for a big family get-together. The setting is incredible and the focus is on outdoor living whether it's stunning early morning beach walks, surfing lessons or a relaxing afternoon at the hotels heated seawater pool and relaxation room complete with juice bar for residents.
We stayed in one of the apartments adjoining the hotel while my sister and her husband stayed in the hotel itself. We enjoyed suberb cuisine in the Gulfstream Restaurant ( a pre dinner drink and complimentary canapes a must in the hotel lounge beforehand). For family fare the Dunes Bar and Bistro is hard to top.
Hotel staff are very attentive and always on hand to assist. Check out the kids playroom in the hotel with giant Connect 4 and board games. Day trips to nearby Clonakilty and the model railway a big hit with the kids.
We really enjoyed our stay here and were made feel very welcome. We look foraward to oour return visit!

Room Tip: Nearly all rooms have stunning sea views. Each has a balcony with loungers. All rooms are very conte...
Dear NFitz2011

Thank you for your comments, we are delighted that all of your family and extended family enjoyed their stay with us. Yes, the Childrens Lounge is a big hit with kids (and mums and dads!)

We look forward to seeing you again in Inchydoney soon

regards
IRELAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Firstly I must apologise in advance for such a lengthy review however I think that it is very important to give credit where it is due and to give a proper account of ones stay.
Myself & 2 friends booked very last Friday evening for a one night stay on the Saturday - last minute plan! I dealt with Mandy in Reservations initially and she was so helpful and informative. We arrived on Saturday a little earlier than check in time & were met by a very friendly couple of ladies on Reception, who apologised profusely that our room would not be ready for approx 20 minutes which was fine with us - we were early after all! We were seated in the beautiful lobby & given a complimentary glass of Irish Mist each - what a way to start off our stay! I asked at check-in if they wouldnt mind sending 3 champagne glasses & a bucket of ice to the room as one of my friends husband had given us a special bottle of champagne that he wanted us to share with her from him.
We went to the bar to have a bite to eat whilst waiting for our room to be ready and each of us had a sumptuous open brown bread sandwich (1 x smoked salmon & 2 x chicken) which were served by a really friendly young lady whom I think was called Emma - I am sorry if I have gotten this wrong - she was really friendly & helpful, informative in helping us chose from the menu and a great asset to the bar. Also forgot to mention, that there are several 'connect 4' games available which is a great way of occupying kids (or big adults alike!)
One of the receptionists came to the bar to let us know the room was available & our luggage had already been sent up. She gave us directions and the key also. When we got to our room, the champagne glasses & ice bucket were already there along with a lovely amenity - the only way I can describe it was a square of 'slate' with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on it along with chocolate covered strawberries and other little treats. Please remember that I only casually mentioned the birthday at check in when asking about the champagne glasses - a lovely touch from the Hotel.
The room - the room was beautifully decorated - there were 3 ladies sharing so thought perhaps the room would be very squashed for 3 x single beds but it was not - beautful balcony which was great for us smokers too! We were not long in the room when we got a call from their main dining room to enquire if we would like to make a reservation for that evening however we had already decided that we were going back to the bar for something more casual but wonderful at the same time, that they went to the bother of asking us IF we would like to make a reservation instead of perhaps we deciding later to go and perhaps being disappointed.
We later visited the pool which is lovely - salty but refreshing! We did not try the spa on this occasion but it looks absolutely beautful and certainly will not be missed on our return journey.
We returned to the room to get ready for dinner and headed down to the bar once again. My two friends dined on lamb shank and I enjoyed scallops - garlic potatoes are individually served in little tin type buckets - sounds strange but was a lovely touch. Only one of us were able for desert but we did get 3 spoons!
We moved tables after dinner as the music was about to start - a guy on a guitar who was very entertaining, and got everyone singing along....lovely atmosphere in the bar. A special mention to a young man in the bar - and unfortunately I just cannot remember his name at this very minute - the friendliest young lad we had met - each time he came over to collect some glasses he shared a funny story...asked if we wanted another drink but not in a pushy way....telling us about the match he was to play the day after....I really wish I could recall his name as he is a huge assett to the bar and we would lke to have given him a special mention.
The following morning we went to breakfast however all tables were occupied at the time and we were seated in the lovely lounge/residents bar right next door to the restaurant while we waited. There was a trolley with pastries, juices etc there so that we could have something whilst waiting. Within 5 minutes a gentleman came to the room and took us straight into breakfast. I must say that being seated somewhere with juices and pastries available whilst waiting for a table was a really lovely touch - we have been to other places where we just had to stand in a queue and wait. We were given a table by the window with beautiful views - breathtaking. Breakfast was beautful, staff were so attentive and the walnut bread to die for!
After gathering our bags and having a walk on the beach we went to Reception to sadly check out - once again the Reception team were just amazing - so friendly - offering to split the bill 3 ways for us even which we know is a pain for places! On the desk there was a beaulful basket with their regular home made brown bread - their walnut brown bread all wrapped up for sale along with a selection of their home made jams and home made ganache - all reasonable priced. I bought a very generous Walnut loaf for just €5.
We then were each handed a brown paper bag with an Inchydoney sticker on the side which was a little 'going away gift' from the Hotel of a jar of their home made jam - a regular sized jar, not just a little one! I must add that all guests departing were given a little 'going away' gift like that - such a wonderful personal touch.
I would urge anyone to go and enjoy Inchydoney - we most certainly will be back and feel that this hotel really 'has it' - very personal, lovely touches, fab location, food wonderful and their staff amazing....I honestly rate this as one of my favourite 3 hotels in Ireland.....just GO!

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony overlooking the beach - stunning
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear BALLYWILLIAM2002

What a fantastic review, thank you so much for taking the time to share your Inchydoney experience. We really enjoy receiving such wonderful feedback. I have passed on your words of praise to all of the team here, we are truly delighted.

We hope to see you back in Inchydoney very soon.

Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

A short stay here for my daughter & I before the schools reopened. It is a pleasure to stay here, again & again. The location and walks are supreme, even in poor weather. The staff can not do enough for guests. Every request is taken as if it's the only thing that the staff member has to deal with, to perfection. The Spa is wonderful, as it says in the brochure. The bar food is exceptionally good. The food is good all round but this time we booked the restaurant. It was like Master Chef quality, it was superb, and even the vegetarian dishes were sensational in taste. Well done all round.
Even though we had two problems, we almost forgot those: first night at the rear of the hotel, the service entrance was noisy, and kept us awake from about 5/6am on, not a good choice of room. Next morning we were moved to the front of the hotel, and perfect sleep. One problem there, which we had encountered two years ago also, the patio doors couldn't be opened or closed properly. Hopefully this will be resolved.............

Room Tip: not to the rear, near the service entrance, if you are a light sleeper
Dear anstyslocum

Thank you for sharing your comments, I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken note of your issue with the patio doors and have passed this to our Maintenance Engineer. Apologies for this inconvenience.

We do hope to see you again in Inchydoney soon, I will pass on your kind comments to the rest of the team here.

Proprietor

Been to Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!