“Central hotel, big rooms, friendly & helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of O'Donovan's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clonakilty
O'Donovan's Hotel
You added O'Donovan's Hotel to your Saves list
Pearse Street, Clonakilty, Ireland   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Clonakilty
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cork, Ireland
“Central hotel, big rooms, friendly & helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

My boyfriend and I went to Clonakilty for a weekend & stayed in O’Donovan’s, we had seen the poor (& often unwarranted) reviews.
I rang the hotel directly to book with them, they first off told me about the noise, they are above a night club & on the main night life area after all, we booked a room to the back of the hotel.
We were in Clonakilty for a night out so the noise would not bother us. The staff were very friendly & helpful, chatty from the start. Our room was big, roomy, with all the amenities you would need in a hotel room. I found no fault at all. The hotel has a homely feel about it with pictures & posters on the wall, the library adds a beautiful touch to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Somerset, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

Staying at this hotel is like stepping back in time! The reception staff aren't overly friendly although very polite and it is like a museum upstairs. The rooms are small but clean but need refurbishment. The breakfast was poor compared to others we had on our weeks tour, even compared to much cheaper B&B s. There was a nice terrace attached to our room where we could have sat out - if it wasnt pouring it down with rain. The rooms had a slight aroma of male sweat which wasnt pleasant. There is a lovely bar in the hotel and i believe in the high season there is an outdoor music bar which looked lovely but we went out of season when it was closed. I wouldnt recommend it for more than a one night stay.

• Liked — The hotel bar
  • Disliked — The stuffy lack of atmosphere
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

My sister and I arrived after dark - rather frazzled since we were not used to Irish roads - especially at night. When we arrived, the owners were diligently working and were pleased to help us. I requested that someone help park our car - one of the owner's promptly volunteered her brother - who gladly drove our car into the small secure lot behind the hotel and then helped us with our luggage. We stayed 2 nights and had a most entertaining time.

One of the staff - Rose is her name - was very entertaining at breakfast - \also cleaned rooms. We could hear her singing, leading other staff rehearsing musical numbers like "Oklahoma" while they worked. We enjoyed her humor. All of the staff were wonderful people and very friendly.

This hotel has quite a place in history - it is one of the places where Michael Collins used to stay. Occasionally he gave speeches from the windows of the hotel to inspire the people in his day.

We were there just before Halloween - we too experienced loud noise at night when loads of young people arrived to party late into the morning. The hotel owners were very apologetic. At one point we decided to go find out what was going on - there were locals helping out who were very pleasant - even fun to chat with - probably regulars. In the morning we were awakened by the sound of glass bottles being thrown into bins for clean up. Again the hotel was very apologetic and went out of their way to take care of us as best they could.

We were disappointed that we did not have opportunity to attend a Trad session in the cottage "An Teach Beag" since we were there on the wrong night. There was other entertainment at the hotel while we were there - and there was a Trad session just down the street - which we did attend. Since we enjoyed the entertainment led by Rose in the morning, they graciously had us listen to a CD they recorded with the regulars who participate. We listened to the CD in the car during the rest of our 2-week trip.

One more thing - before we arrived we were fighting off a cold - laryngitis - one of the owners suggested a hot Irish Whiskey drink with lemon and cloves. It was a splendid treat that did the job. My sister and I Have shared that little treat several times since and drink it in fond memory of our stay at O'Donovans.

This hotel was recommended to me by an anthropology professor originally from Ballyvourney who teaches in America. Thank you! Though there were some down sides, our experience overall was pleasant and memorable.

• Liked — The staff - they were wonderful
  • Disliked — The noise - not so great - but manageable
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Limerick City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

I used to travel around the Munster Region of Ireland as a salesman for I had to stay in corporate hotels that often lacked atmosphere. But now that I've retired I've been able to retrace my routes with my wife and stay in small hotels. We found this hotel online. It's a real gem, so comfortable, so normal, its like being at home, but of course with the advantages of having a bar, restaurant and small town downstairs! There was a notice on a bar door precluding socalled stag and hen parties from entering and this is to be commended.

To conclude this is a nice hotel, and if you can live with the fact that it doesn't have a leisure centre, then you should stay there if you visit Clonakilty.

Stayed August 2007
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

When my wife booked this hotel online I was a bit skeptical as it was only EUR 120 per night in total, which is very cheap for hotels in Clonakilty, but when we arrived I was plesantly surprised, there was a secure carpark, the receptionist was a mine of information about the town and was genuinely interested in his job. O'Donovans doesn't have a swimming pool, and perhaps that is why it only has two stars, but it should really have three because it has loads of other facilities, a restaurant, a few bars. The room itself has a large TV, fridge, sink. This hotel is a real home from home, and I feel a bit guilty letting the secret out, in case it is fully booked the next time we are in Clon'. The only negative I can think of is the carpark is too small, at the weekend we had to cruise around the town once looking for a space.

Stayed July 2007
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2006

Stayed 2 nights in the beginning of September at 200 euro per night double room very small, TV reception made it unwatchable, the remote didn't work, over half the channels in the room booklet were not available. The hotel itself is totally dated, old and in need of a serious revamp. Was noisy because of nite-club which we were pre warned about but given this should it still cost 200/night having to listen to people shouting outside till almost 3.30am? Sounds like a bit of a high price to pay. Breakfast was good though.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Cost for hotel standard
  • Tips/Secrets — look for somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2006

We arrived in Clonakilty late, and there was no gas station open, the knowledgable receptionist told us about a 24h diesel pump and lent us his pass card, and we paid him back the amount. Back in the hotel the room was good and had a lot of facilities for the price. Next day we had dinner in the Restaurant and had to wait for a table, but we hadn't booked. The small pub Teach Beag had a wonderful session, but was a bit packed. Overall a good hotel, good value for money, but maybe a bit too busy!

Stayed August 2006

Been to O'Donovan's Hotel? Share your experiences!