“Magical and inspiring place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 16 Attractions in Midleton
Type: Educational Sites, Classes
Activities: Dining
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Magical and inspiring place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I recently attended the week intermediate cookery course and I fell head over heals with the place. As soon as I arrived I felt this sense of peace, inspiration and magic. I knew already how to cook and as I've had my part-time/free lance catering business - so some of the dishes were less challenging to make but they showed me plenty of new techniques. Everyone who worked there were true gems, very helpful and friendly. This experience has also woken up my passion for cooking again and I am intending to go back to do the 12 week certificate course... (trust me I am not an elite nor a young person)!

Visited August 2013

Los Angeles, California
9 attraction reviews
“I Learned To Cook at The Ballymaloe Cookery School”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Before spending 5 days at The Cookery School, I was proficient at scrambled eggs and guacamole...that was about it. After a week, under the tutelage of Rory and Rachel, I have expanded my skills 50 fold. There Email address is "cookingisfun" and they made it fun for me, took the anxiety about making a meal and as recently as a week ago I planned, shopped and prepared a dinner for 8 folks and they were all satisfied customers as you will be if you attend.

Visited August 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“an allusion”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

sorry i have to join the reviewers who think the school is a rip off, fine if your parents are wealthy and can afford a kind of culinary holiday for you but the whole thing is a marketting stunt by the elite for the elite and so on........if you want a cooking cert to get you into a restaurant its fine, but don't look for much beyond that.........they are farming not food but money money money and be careful not to become one of their indentured slaves serfed to an allusion of excellence.........it is what it is over rated very well marketted fun if you are loaded but be careful if your looking for much more than that the local tech catering course would teach you more and better in my opinion

Visited September 2012
Dublin, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
“An energising and very special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I felt I had to write this after reading a terrible review of the cookery school and deal with the complaints raised.

Firstly, I am an ex twelve week course student, of about fifteen years. My career (which was meant to be in finance pre Ballymaloe days but took a u turn..) has been in the food business, both working for restaurants, private clients and more recently working for myself with eight staff. I have also over the years done the odd cookery demo, Madhur Jaffrey being a very special one. About ten years ago.

My experience of the cookery school was a very, very special one. I adored every minute of the timeI spent there, and often think about looking for a job as a teacher there! I loved their ethos, I loved their style, I loved nearly everything about the place. Yes there probably were a couple of thins that annoyed me when I was there but my experience (as was the experience of some lifelong friends I made down there) was hugely positive. The terrible review I read was complaining about small working areas, equipment that was not commercial, queues for weighing scales... Eh hello, this is the reality of the catering business!! If one of my eight staff complained about having to share a weighing scale or working in a cramped kitchen, I would show them the door. This is a notoriously tough business, and the reality of my world is that I cater for 400 plus people a day in a kitchen no bigger than the average utility room. Ballymaloe prepares you for the reality of this business.

This is a wonderful, wonderful place where you will make very special memories for life. You will learn the skills to ready you for a career in the food business, or just to cook a really, really good dinner party for your friends and family.

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
“Wonderful for foodies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We booked in for 2 afternoon demos here. We were warmly welcomed by Grace, one of the students, had lunch first and then in to the demo. The afternoon was packed with info and we were given all the recipes. You got to taste everything at the end. We will definitely attempt the chocolate ganache cake with its chocolate swirls, and my sister is keen to try the special sweet pastry, goldenly glistening which was wrapped around the rhubarb pie. I have already cooked the 'Irish' mash potatoes with the potatoes cooked whole and then peeled while hot and mixed with warmed milk in which spring onions had been steeping. There was a great tip on putting a nugget if butter in a peaked mound and warming in the oven so when served you just flicked the mound and the hot butter oozed out. Orgasmic! Think we' ll be trying some ham hock or gammon served with white parsley sauce this weekend. Also keen to try the foragers or radish tops soup.will go back.

Visited May 2013