“Awful!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Galway, Ireland
“Awful!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

I feel compelled to write this review even though I never normally comment about hotels, but I honestly have never stayed anywhere in my life like Barnabrow and I dont mean that in a good way! Yes its quirky and the setting is lovely and that I'm afraid is where the positives end! We attended a wedding and stayed in one of the cottages which are self catering and you can't get breakfast unless you stayed in the house, you would think that in this day and age they would be delighted to have paying guests for breakfast but not so! I dont know where to start on the cottage, It was filthy. So bad we couldn't get into the shower the next morning as it was gross with dead flys, spiders and as for the scum all around and on the tiles. We had to wear our shoes the whole time in the cottage as everywhere was so dirty. The bed had what was once a white throw at the end of the bed but needless to say it no longer kept its former glory and the over powering smell of damp kept me awake and cold even though it was July but unfortunately there was no other place to sleep as all the rooms were occupied by other friends who all had the same experience.
I have to say though that the wedding meal was good!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Hadf a meal here once......a present from my mother, as she knew I'd wanted to try it for a long time. The cold of the place will remain in my memory for a long time....there was also a power cut during the meal, but the "lady" who floated around the dining room didn't once approach us to see if everything was okay... not a particularly good approach to customer relations; it's the first time ever I had to order a dessert to warm myself up! The variety and quantity of vegetables was very poor....when I commented on this as we were leaving, I was told that "Irish people don't really eat many vegetables...." SINCE WHEN??? I was at a wedding there some time later....I just don't get their pathetic choice of cutlery....is it meant to be in-keeping with the "middle ages" theme? Personally, I'd bin stuff of that quality! As for the food...it was okay, but I wouldn't rave over it. The homemade lemonade was delicious, though. If there was less pretentiousness, and more attention to detail/guests, it would be all the better for it. (As for the cloaked one, she should go on an introductory course for customer services!)

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

This review is in relation to my own wedding, so obviously I was very happy with the venue! However I have to say I had some concerns ahead of time - this is not a cookie-cutter 4 star hotel, so I wondered if it's quirkiness would appeal to all; the rooms are not cheap (€80 pp sharing) & I hoped my guests would not find it too steep; I hoped the food was as good as promised - locally sourced, organic from their own garden where possible.
I have to say Barnabrow proved faultless on all fronts - food & service were really excellent, absolutely everyone seemed to have a great day, with no complaints.
I would recommend it without hesitation - for a wedding ( I really don't see it as a place to stay for the weekend at all, unless at a group event)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
wexbird
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Just back from a wedding in Barnabrow, it was the most fantastic wedding I have ever attended. The Wedding Breakfast was amazing and the quality of the food and the service was fantastic.

The house and reception area has a unique charm and warm atmosphere which is difficult to describe but suffice to say there is a very good feeling about the place!

We stayed in the holiday cottages. Unlike one of the previous reviews there was plenty of hot running water and the cottages were very cute and quirky. They were very spacious and ideal place to stay for the wedding.

All in all I really enjoyed the weekend, it may not be the place for people who like modern style hotels but if you are looking for something different, quirky in a beautiful location then barnabrow could be the place for you!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed at Barnabrown in April 2009. The grounds and surroundings are beautiful but the hotel itself, in terms of accommodation, amenities, facilities, is a grave disappointment and scandalously overpriced. Barnabrow sells itself on organic, rustic charm: in fact, scratch the surface and there is a distinct lack of authenticity, with plasterboard walls made to look like plastered stone, and so on. The rooms are poky and poorly appointed - and hot water is not always in abundance. Breakfast was pleasant, but we expected some form of choice - instead, alas, it was the tyranny of the Full Irish, with no other choices forthcoming. And truly terrible coffee. One would expect this from a standard B&B, but certainly not from a hotel charging €160 per room. In all, our stay was by no means disastrous - but Barnabrow is unacceptably expensive and we were left feeling that we had been well and truly ripped off. We definitely won't be returning - and in all conscience, we could never recommend this hotel to our friends.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

I consider the wedding venue excellent no questions whatsoever. BUT the cost of staying in this hotel at €80 per person per night is by far and away too expensive for what you get.

The rooms are small, noisy with humming radiators and wooden floors which echo even the slightest movement from the floors above into thunder. The hotel has abundant rustic charm however at the cost of health and safety (very dangerous steep uneven steps) and comfort (bad heating and showers)

Breakfast was poor with little choice , a scarcity of fresh orange juice and limited serving time. The fried breakfast is small, tasty but for what you are paying you would expect at least some choice.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a wedding venue but for the love of god stay somewhere else. The extortionate price would be better spent on a taxi ride and a night in a local B+B.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
antrim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We had an absolute ball at Barnbrow house recently at a friends wedding.
Food was great and setting was just beautiful.
We stayed in a cottage there and the only downside was no hot water in any of the rooms the morning after the wedding and cooking our own breakfast which at €150 was very expensive. This said however did not overshadow how unique and beautiful a place it really is.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Barnabrow Country House? Share your experiences!