“An excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Malahide B&B and Inns
Shawnee, Kansas
“An excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Beechwood is located just south of the lovely little town of Malahide. It's a perfect location no matter which direction your trip will be taking. Just a short 20 minute drive from the airport and minutes from Malahide and its excellent restaurants. There's even Malahide Castle 10 minutes away. The rooms are spacious with a nice shower and wonderful bed and pillows. The owner, Joe O'Reily is a gregarious Irishman that is a treat to engage in conversation. He cooks a great breakfast to order to start your day out right. There's a bus stop a few hundred feet away if you want to take a bus into Dublin but be sure you get the correct bus on the return trip to avoid a long walk. Don't be afraid to drive your car into Dublin but you will want a GPS or you may be wandering the winding streets for a while. The National Museums are free and worth the trip into Dublin if you do nothing else. We've stayed with Joe 4 times now and we will ALWAYS require our trips to Ireland start and end at Beechwood.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms:-)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had stayed in Beechwood in 2005 and revisited Ireland this June. The place has been kept extremely well and continues to run beautifully. Joe is an excellent host who takes GREAT care of his guests. He helped us with every tiny details, gave us tips, offered to drive us to the train station, received our lost luggage for us, offered us his laundry.... we really felt at home; last but not least, he made wonderful breakfast! Malahide is a beautiful village close to the airport and has some wonderful restaurants. Although possibly not the best choice for travelers without a car, this wonderful B&B is unquestionably my top choice for a visit in the Dublin area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My stay here was short, but wonderful. Joe, the owner, was incredibly helpful! I had car trouble before I arrived there and he gave me some good advice and made sure I had assistance on the way before going back to what he was doing. Later that day, when I was ready to go find something to eat, he offered me a ride to town, which was greatly appreciated! Offered to help me take care of my toll on the M-50 as well. The grounds are very pretty, gardens, etc out back. My room was super comfortable and very, very clean. Lots of hot water. Towels and toiletries were provided as well as bottled water in my room upon arrival. Minutes from the center of town, Dublin, the sea/beach, and the airport. Breakfast was delicious and nicely presented. Very, very nice!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Shawnee, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I greatly enjoyed my stay of three nights at this beautiful house. The host, Joe, was very friendly and helpful. I am especially greatful that he talked me into renting a car for my independent tour of Ireland. It made the trip much more enjoyable than taking the bus. He even drove us to the airport to rent the car! The home and grounds are very beautiful and he made us right at home. I enjoyed talking to him and the other guests. I don't think we could have possibly had a better start and end to our trip than to stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Jamestown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband, sister, brother-in-law and myself traveled to Ireland for a family Christening. After researching hotels and B&B's in the Malahide area we decided upon Beechwood Country House and what a good decision that was. From beginning to end we were taken in and made to feel like family. Joe and his son Terry could not have been more accommodating. Joe allowed us to come in early the morning we arrived from the US and even offered us breakfast and tea before we went up for a nap. The house and grounds were gorgeous-so luxurious. Only wished we had gotten to see the thousands of rose buds bloom. It was just too early. Joe even gave us a ride into town one day when my husband and I didn't have the car. Our rooms were quite comfortable after Joe showed us how to use the heat. It was chilly to us but not to the Irish. I guess they're pretty used to the dampness. Just wished the fire had been blazing. After three nights we really felt like family and miss Joe & Terry.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 which was quite comfortable for my husband and myself.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Ireland and started our trip at Beechwood Country House. Joe was an amazing host and went above what we expected. He went out of his way to drive us into the city center to catch a bus to Dublin and made sure we had enough coins to get on the bus. The room was well kept and comfortable. Breakfast was great and overall the hospitality we received was amazing. Joe helped us make choices of what to see and do while in Dublin and what we really should see and what might not be as worthwhile. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This B and B was to be our last before going home. Nights 10-11-12. Walked into a wonderful home, hosted/owned by JOE !! Joe made us feel at home immediately, and he was more of a "friend" than an owner. Made sure we had what we wanted, gave us great suggestions for Dublin and surrounding areas. We wanted to take the bus into town ( don't drive INTO Dublin) and we didn't have change. He gave us change to get into and out of town. Breakfasts were made to order, and the room was very large and comfortable. ( ask for (double) room #6 )
We ended up going to two locations that we would have missed if it wasn't for Joe and his suggestions.
The location: We picked the location because it was a) close to the airport - 10 minutes, and b) all of our b and b's were not IN any town, but out of town. Get a better value for your money.
The house is large, with a huge back yard/garden area. Room #6 had nice size bathroom, large room, hair dryer, tea/coffee in room, and individual room controlled heat.
We read a review which said only one hand towel, and a small bar of soap. That's what we got, and we asked for another, and received it...don't know what the other person's issue was.
Only rated # 3 in Malahide area..........hhhmmmm??? it was number one of all our stays in ALL of Ireland, and we used Trip Advisor to choose rooms for the entire trip.
DON'T PASS THIS UP..............and Joe, if you are reading this..........We love ya and miss ya
-harvey and sharon (Sept 23-24-25, 2011)

Room Tip: Room # 6 is a large room ( compared to a couple others that we saw there) , but all would be great.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Beechwood Country House? Share your experiences!