“Nice but overrated.” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice but overrated.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I lived in Asia for many years so I had high expectation. Wasabi is just ok, nothing special. The staff, however, were very friendly and accommodating.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Clongriffin
“The eel is back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Years ago, there was a Japanese restaurant in Malahide that served eel. Then it suddenly disappeared, much to my husband's dismay who kept lamenting about eel every time we passed the street. A chance visit to Malahide brought us to Wasabi, which we tried without reading the reviews first. When we read the review by the Irish Independent, I fully agreed with it. The food was very good, the service excellent, prices keen. And the eel was on the menu not once but twice (I asked my husband if he was going to ask for sugared eel for dessert!)

Visited March 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“The real deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Having spent more than 20 years in Japan and with a Japanese wife, I think it's fair to say that we can tell good Japanese food from bad. We've had the bad in Dublin (you know who you are!). But Wasabi is (almost) without exception as close as you'll get to authentic Japanese food in Ireland. Delicious tempura, noodle dishes, donburi (rice bowl) dishes, teriyaki and sushi. You won't find a wide range of Japanese drinks, but some basic sake, umeshu (plum liquour) and beer are enough for me.

I've sometimes wondered whether authentic Japanese food is actually what the Irish palette wants. We've booked Wasabi a couple of times but have never seen it full. I think it's also partly down to a failure to aggressively market the place. Which is a shame, because I'd hate to see it close due to lack of business. There is usually a Japanese person working, which is nice, though they tend to be working-holiday visitors.

I did say "almost", and the menu items that disappointed were surprising - the white rice and the wasabi of all things! The former tasted like it had been left for a day in the rice cooker, and the wasabi was the cheap stuff out of a tube rather than freshly grated. We mentioned both things to the staff so maybe they will have improved. The tofu also wasn't great but then where can you possibly get fresh tofu in Ireland?

A variety of online and print vouchers have made many trips to Wasabi a no-brainer for us. But even without them we will continue to be regulars.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Malahide, Ireland
“Avoid, very poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

As a fan of sushi we were looking forward to Wasabi but maybe we should have realised what was in store for us when we entered an almost empty restaurant at prime time on a Friday night.

The waitresses have poor English but eventually got our order even if it came out backwards. The gyozo were good but not hot but that was really the high point of the meal. California roll was bland and tasteless, the spicy tuna roll had so little tuna in it that we could barely find it. The tempura of prawn looked lovely and was well presented but the prawns were not deveined, a very fundamental error.

According to the website, this restaurant has a Michelin star chef, I find that hard to believe given the quality of food and lack of attention to detail.

The service was terrible, the staff didn't see to have a clue and kept running over to ask each other questions. Our wine glasses were filled almost to the brim of the glasses, we were not offered water and generally the seemed to be like rabbits in the headlights.

Avoid this restaurant, sushi bought in your local supermarket would be better.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dublin,Ireland
“Superb Japanese cuisine at a very good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently enjoyed the very well-priced lunch menu at Wasabi on a Sunday afternoon. On arrival I received a complimentary green tea. I then had the Salmon roll followed by Chicken Teriyaki served with boiled rice. A delicious miso soup was also included. I found the menu to be extensive with plenty of choice. The food was of a very good standard and extremely good value. The sushi was very fresh and nicely prepared. My main was well presented and flavoursome. Service at all times was excellent. I certainly will make a return visit.
It’s nice to see a Japanese restaurant join the number of other excellent restaurants to be found in the Malahide area

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere