“Best B & B in Ireland” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Boyle B&B and Inns
Cleveland, OH
“Best B & B in Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

Lough Key House is a dream come true. From the minute you walk in the door, you feel at home. The fireplace is burning in the beautiful guest lounge. Delicious treats and tea. Frances, the owner is wonderful and thought of everything to make our stay comfortable. The bedrooms are gorgeous!! Bathrooms, exceptional. Breakfast OUTSTANDING! I cannot say enough about Frances and her daughters. If you are thinking of spending time in the area, make sure you stay at Lough Key House-and book an extra night because you won't want to leave!

• Liked — The very friendly owner and the lovely rooms
  • Disliked — Not a thing! Would not be ideal for people with disabilities since all of the rooms are upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Central Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I would recommend Lough Key House to anyone looking for a quiet stay where you are surrounded by comfort, elegance, and warmth. I wish I could have stayed longer!

Quite honestly, I was looking for an economical stop for the night as I traveled through Ireland on a very short holiday. I found Lough Key House online, liked what I saw, and reserved a night by telephone. I arrived late in a rainstorm. Frances was a perfect hostess! She was so welcoming and interested in me, her guest. I found the home to be charming (built in 1805, she told me) and elegant. Frances has wonderful taste in furnishings and decore. I entered my room and Frances had a coal fire glowing in the fireplace, so I was cozy and warm on a cool, wet, windy night.

In the morning, the rain had stopped briefly, so I had a walk around the grounds. Lough Key House has a lovely flower and herb garden, some stately old trees, a stable with horses and a friendly donkey, and a beautiful view.

After a breakfast that tantalized the tongue and fueled me for the entire day, I was off to explore, guided by Frances' advice that proved very useful to my journey. If ever I return to this part of Ireland, I will definitely stay at Lough Key House.

• Liked — Frances offered warm service and conversation while affording privacy and trust
  • Disliked — I loved everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

This is unquestionably the finest bed and breakfast I have visited in Ireland. Stay here only if you are searching for warmth, comfort, beautiful surroundings, excellent food, and a truly unforgettable Irish experience. Bedrooms and bathrooms are luxurious and sparkling clean, and I can't say enough about the breakfasts - homemade porridge, eggs laid by Lough Key's own hens, fruit, juice, the finest home-baked breads - I could go on and on... My only regret about Lough Key House is that I cannot stay longer! There is nothing I would like more than to sink into the comfy sofas gathered around the blazing hearth in the sitting room of this fine old stone home, and stay for weeks. You will find the company as delicious as the breakfasts - your host, Frances, provides advice and information about the nearby attractions (don't miss Lough Key Park which is literally right next door, with its fairy forts, ruined castle, and stone tunnels!).
With all the books, the gardens and lovely countryside views, it can be hard to tear yourself away from this wonderful place But even if you only get as far as the spectacular Boyle Abbey, it will be worth it - just for the thrill of arriving all over again!
Lough Key House is a storybook place, full of magic. It is everything you could hope for in a bed and breakfast. This is the period house I dreamed of when I first began planning my trip to Ireland, and I am so grateful I found it. If I ever return to Ireland this will be the first stop on my travels.

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

Lough Key House is an extremely stylish and luxuriously comfortable guesthouse, ideally situated, literally at the gates to Lough Key Forest Park - acres of bluebell woods, lakes, islands etc. - and just a few miles from both Boyle and Carrick on Shannon - both quintessential irish towns with all the traditional attractions (fishing, boating, golf, horse-riding, music, pubs) as well as good shopping facilities, cinemas, bowling and all the other essentials, if you have kids in tow.
Lough Key House is a classic Irish stone-built Georgian house, surrounded by its own gardens, paddock and orchard. It has been sensitively restored - have a look at the web site for pictures and details. The lovely thing about it is that it doesn't feel at all like a guest house - no signage, pine furniture or contract fittings - and just three spacious, individually decorated guest-suites, that make it feel like visiting the lovely country house of a chic and hospitable friend. There are delightful, quirky touches throughout the house - paintings, books, open fires - even in bedrooms (on a misty Winters night falling asleep to the sound and smell of a crackling fire is unforgettable) and of course, fabulous, fabulous, breakfasts - almost everything is home produced and organic and so delicious that even our teenage daughter got out of bed to eat a meal so copious it kept us going all day (well almost)!

Anyone thinking of visiting the west of Ireland should consider making Lough Key House a base for exploring this part of the region - I cannot image that there is a better place to stay anywhere in the locality.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and North America and I can honestly say that the Lough Key House is the best place I have ever stayed at. Their website www.loughkeyhouse.com does a good job describing everything, but it is much more beautiful and charming in person.

We originally booked for only one night; however we fell in love with this place and booked additional nights within 10 minutes of our arrival. Everything was perfect from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, spacious and very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was outstanding (eggs fresh from the house with home grown herbs and homemade bread), but perhaps the best part about our stay was the hospitality we received from Frances and her daughter Amy.
We were greeted by Amy at our arrival with a pot of tea and within minutes we felt at home and as if you knew her for years.
We traveled with our 4 year old daughter Mary and she loved the dogs (Gwen and Buttercup), the horses (Toby and Edwardian?) and of course Duncan the Donkey. There are also some chickens, a rooster, geese and a cat somewhere in the mix as well. We had a hard time getting her to leave so we could go out and sight see. Coming back to the house in the evening it was a treat to sit in the lovely sitting room and converse with Frances.

I cannot say enough about Lough Key house. If you are planning a trip to Ireland STAY HERE! It is a vacation within a vacation. Even if the area is not on your itinerary, make a detour and stay here for at least 2 days. I am already planning a second trip just to stay in the red room and have some of Frances’ delicious cooking.
P.S.: I think Eugene just might be the hardest or busiest working man in Ireland!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing, wish we could of stayed longer
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I recently stayed in this delightful B&B situated between Boyle and Carrick on Shannon on the west coast of Ireland. This area is beautiful and a great place to use as a base for touring. From the moment I arrived I felt at home and Frances,the hospitable owner,met us with tea and home made scones which were delicious.

The house is a treat to behold and the breakfast one of the best I've had; the rooms extremely comfortable, spacious and beautifully furnished. I would urge anyone travelling in the vicinity to book up. It's even worth making a detour to stay here!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing (stairs may be diff. if mobility problems)
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Lough Key House? Share your experiences!