“Just what we needed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Creevy Pier Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ballyshannon
Creevy Pier Hotel
You added Creevy Pier Hotel to your Saves list
Kildoney Glebe | Creevy, Ballyshannon, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ballyshannon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Just what we needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had been travelling for quite some time and found a sign offering accommodation,just what we were looking for but we got more than that-a warm welcome a warm room comfy bed and wonderful food served by the best waitresses in all our travels so far I dont think you would get better.Overlooking the water and watching an everchanging view as the tide came in.

Room Tip: Number one had noises that sounded occasionaly like a wee man on a 50 cc motor bike,we think it was...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Creevy-Pier, General Manager at Creevy Pier Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank-you for taking the time to provide us with some lovely feedback surrounding your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed all aspects of you stay and in general I hope you enjoyed your break in Ireland.
We hope to have you stay here again.

Maddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here on a 3 night Groupon offer and where really impressed with this small and extremely friendly B&B nothing was to much trouble and the food was superb. It is off the beaten track but the location is unbeatable. We will look forward to a return visit. Two people worth a mention are Madi and Carol the latter made our trip really enjoyable and is a credit to their staff

• Stayed March 2013
Hi Penny,

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review about your stay here. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and many thanks for the special mention to staff.
Carol is indeed a great character and hard-worker, we are lucky to have such a great team here at Creevy Pier Hotel.
We look forward to having you stay again in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We are only getting round to writing this review now on a lazy bank holiday Monday, for a two day trip we had back in September 2012.

It appears from more recent posts that the rooms have been refurbished hence we will not labour the points that have been previously made regarding the grubbiness through wear and tear of the rooms- clearly, in true Creevy Pier style the comments have been taken on board and addressed.

This was in fact our experience of the couple of things we had mentioned to staff when we there... If you tell them that you have a concern- they do their absolute best to address it!!! I think it is unfair to criticise something on this forum without making an initial attempt to address it at the time, to give an opportunity for recompense! (Rant over!) lol!

Instead we would say that we had a truly wonderful time in the rugged surroundings and warm atmosphere of the Creevy Pier. It was a wee stolen last minute getaway to surprise my partner for his birthday.

We received a warm personal welcome after making a couple of phone calls to clarify directions! (A suggestion would be for a couple of visible road signs en route from Ballyshannon maybe?)

Our room was adequate and met our basic needs (but as said on more recent reviews, and seen on more recent photos- they appear to be refurbished to a much higher standard... yay! to Creevy Pier!).

The personalised customer service was fantastic... All the staff went out of their way to do their absolute best for to cater to individual needs and requests...

The food was lovely- no, great! We were given the best seats in the house for our evening meal, complimentary bubbly for birthday celebration, and desert to share (although we hadn't ordered it) complete with candles and birthday greetings singing! Lol! Well done Creevy for the personal touch, it made the evening fun and memorable!

Breakfast too was personally catered for with a wide choice of hot menu and cold buffet to choose from

Next evening we had a lovely wee ceilidh time with sessions music in the bar... A hearty Irish traditional must!!!.

You know what, on reflection six months later... We had a wonderful time, and albeit the rooms at that time were perhaps as rugged as the surrounding countryside... We didn't book this trip with 5* expectations... We had a warm welcome in a rural setting with a bit of a laid back if not a little "through other" easy going environment... It was hassle free, fabulous food, complimented by personalised attention from staff, along with inviting inclusive entertainment...

It actually would remind you of a visit to your kind aunties house, where she goes all out to make you have the best experience during your stay, and gives you the best of what there is available- all with a big genuine smile!

A wholesome weekend of relaxation, walks and a mindful step away from the hustle of everyday life... A lovely wee escape that we will definitely revisit now that we note the rooms are upgraded!!!

Stayed September 2012
Creevy-Pier, General Manager at Creevy Pier Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review as it aids us in improving our service and facilities. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and would return. Your comments are very fair surrounding the rooms and I am glad you have acknowledged we have rectified these problems. I am happy to hear you found our staff pleasant and enjoyed our beautiful location.
We have sign posts all the way from the two roundabouts in Ballyshannon, out the Rossnowlagh road and at the top of our road, however, I understand we are difficult to find as we are off the beaten track. Hopefully next time it will be a doddle to find us!
Your comments are lovely to hear in relation to our personal service, I am glad you both enjoyed your celebrations & indeed the bit of music in the bar. We look forward to having you back in the near future.

Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Arrived on a cold Sunday afternoon in March but didn't take long warming up. Hotel was very welcoming both in terms of looks and the staff. The Hotel itself is in a fairly remote location but main road to Ballyshannon and north to Donegal Town makes sightseeing easy.

Partner and I where there celebrating a birthday and anniversary and the hotel manager Maddy helped make it very special by both securing us room number 7 (great views and decor) and organising flowers for the room.

Each day began with a hearty breakfast severed by Theresa in the restaurant over looking the pier. I recommend the Creevy breakfast to set you up for the day. This was followed by a scenic walk along one of the well sign posted coastal walks.

Evenings whee spent in the bar and restaurant, Carol made us feel very comfortable and the menu was so good we ate in the restaurant every night. Though we did not meet the chef I would have liked to have passed on my compliments to them.

Facilities in the room where perfect for our needs, and on a cold March day sitting in the warmth over looking Donegal Bay was just what we needed.

In summary lovely rural hotel that we will be soon to recommend and hopefully soon to return.

Room Tip: Room 6 or seven have the best views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Creevy-Pier, General Manager at Creevy Pier Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Hi David,

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review and for your kind words. I am delighted you both enjoyed your stay. I am happy to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Room seven has a beautiful view and with all rooms being newly refurbished as boutique style I am glad you found it to your liking. I am glad you enjoyed the food and friendly staff; I have passed on your compliments to our chefs. We would be delighted to have you both back again in the near future.

Banbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had expected to find this hotel closer to Ballyshannon but it was worth finding for those of us that like to walk and admire the scenery. The small hotel overlooks a small harbour and there were great walks in the area.
The remoteness encouraged us to stay for additional meals on a couple occasions. The food was well presented and delicious at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner times.
The bar and restaurant were also well decorated and welcoming. The room and bed were comfortable but unfortunately the e-suite bathroom was very cold which discouraged us from bathing or showering.
All staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: There are only 8 rooms. We were in room 1 which was probably the worst for views. Rooms 7 & 8 se...
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review about your stay here in Creevy Pier Hotel, we are delighted to get all types of feedback as it points out the areas where we can improve. We are surrounded by some lovely walkways, so I am glad to hear you made good use of them and thoroughly enjoyed the surrounding natural beauty. I am delighted you enjoyed the food throughout your stay and found the staff to be friendly. I am sorry you found the ensuite cold this is the first time this has been brought to my attention so I will definitely look into it. We hope to have you stay again in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I've mixed feelings on our trip to Creevy Pier. We went last November for three nights on a Groupon deal. It would be perfect for coastal walks if it was warmer but the weather wasn't great.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, but we were disappointed when we were shown to our room. It was basic, which is fine, but it was dimly lit and on closer inspection, cobwebs were hanging on 3 walls which gave some concern about how regularly the room was used or cleaned.
It wasn't cleaned while we were there; they didn't even make the bed.
The bar was relaxing and attracted the locals after a day's work.
The restaurant is nicely laid out and the food was excellent. If you go, I recommend the seafood chowder - absolutely delicious. We certainly enjoyed the meals there, and breakfast was good.
Our room (10, I think), had a table outside the window where the smokers collected. We could hear their conversations first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening if we were in bed.
There was also an outside light left on all night and with no heavy curtain, it lit up our room all night. To be fair, we mentioned it the first morning and it was switched off after that, but better blinds or curtains would fix that.
Worst thing was there was no water from the shower first thing in the morning. In hindsight, it must be the plumbing and the pressure drops when others are being used, as it worked at other times. no good when you just want to get out of bed and go straight to the shower as most people do.

One other thing is there was no wi-fi as advertised. I'm not keen on tv on holiday, but I like to keep up with social media and news on my phone or computer so that was also disappointing.
Some investment in the place would certainly lift the rating from average to excellent very quickly. Although I would certainly go back to the restaurant, I wouldn't stay there again until it was improved.
Overall, we enjoyed it but improvements to the rooms would greatly enhance the experience. The restaurant and food are excellent, in fact, a hidden gem in that part of the country and I would certainly call again if I was passing. But it's more of a restaurant with rooms rather than a hotel with a good restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Creevy-Pier, General Manager at Creevy Pier Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank-you for taking the time to post a review on your November stay with us. We take all feedback seriously as it helps us to improve and hopefully provide you with a better experience for your next stay or visit.
You have made some fair points regarding the room and plumbing, for this I can only apoligise and reassure you that since your stay all rooms and plumbing system has been completely refurbished. Black out blinds & curtains are now in all rooms.
I can only apoligise about the smokers outside your room window, we do have a smoking shelter provided for smokers well away from the rooms with heaters, but unfortunately some still seem to linger at other exits of the hotel.
I am delighted you enjoyed dining with us throughout your stay and you would come back for our food. If you are back in our restaurant again please do let me know, so I can show you our refurbished rooms and try and restore some faith with you.
Kind Regards & Best Wishes,
Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Based on previous reviews we were not anticipating very much, however we were pleasantly surprised with the refurbished bedrooms we stayed in room 7 which had great sea views. And apart from having no heating or hot water for the first 24 hrs we found the Hotel comfortable, clean and the staff very helpful. We had dinner in the restaurant on three evenings and the food was of a very good standard, however the breakfasts were a bit hit and miss in terms of quality!. Overall and based on what we payed (Groupon Deal) the Hotel was of an acceptable standard for a 2 Star AA Rating.

Room Tip: Rooms 6 or 7 have the best views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Creevy-Pier, General Manager at Creevy Pier Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Cedric,

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I can only apoligise for the issues with Hot Water & Heating you experienced during part of your stay. I can assure you these problems have been completetly rectified as refurbishment has been completed throughout the rooms.
I will certainly look into your comments regarding the Breakfasts as we strive to produce excellent meals using only the freshest of ingredients offering options for everyone on our menu from Children to Vegetarians to Gluten free guests. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your breakfasts every morning during your stay, I can only apoligise and look into this so other guests staying in the future will not have the same experience.

Maddy

Been to Creevy Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!