“Enjoyable & helpful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lakeside Caravan & Camping

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballyshannon
Lakeside Caravan & Camping
You added Lakeside Caravan & Camping to your Saves list
Belleek Road, Ballyshannon, Ireland   |
Aberdeen
“Enjoyable & helpful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Originally planned to stay here for one night, however liked it so much we stayed for three

Beautiful views over the Lake, especially when sun was shining. Town of Ballyshannon was lovely and very friendly. NB it is on a steep hill

Very clean site, with clean facilities. Free hot showers and free hot dish washing facilities. Also supply a leading brand of washing powder. Clothes drier was not on a time limit and therefore no need to top up with Euros. There is a TV room with comfy chairs and books. Free wifi is also an added bonus

Manager, Mungo was helpful and friendly and nothing seemed a problem

Room Tip: A lakeside pitch is superb but no tents/awnings allowed
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
mungo s, Manager at Lakeside Caravan & Camping, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thanks for visiting Lakeside - we loved having you - hope to see you back again sometime! Thanks for taking the time to write a review as its important to us that we receive feedback so that we can improve on our service.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Really looking forward to going to Lakeside this May bank holiday! We have been going here for years from starting out with our tent and now our caravan. My family all love here, very safe place for the children to play, lovely scenery and walks. The site is nice right next to the lake, the manager is very friendly. We found the toilets and showers basic but very clean, and there is seperate toilets and showers for male and female around the other side of the building. Overall cannot wait to go back...

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mungo s, Manager at Lakeside Caravan & Camping, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments, Alison. We look forward to seeing you and your family at the end of the month. Just wanted to let you know about our Specials:

Low season, mid week special - Stay two nights mid week and get the third free, (does not apply to Bank Holidays)
Low Season Special - FREE Hot Showers

Seasonal Sites Only FIVE seasonal sites left

Kind Regards
Mungo
Manager
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

From Bill Lupton President Motorcaravan Club of Ireland .
I have read a few negative reviews of Lakeside and would like to add my "tuppence" worth. I have stayed in Lakeside on a few occasions, 4 to be exact, I like the site for it's amenities, It suits me and 99% of our members. (you can please all of the people all of the time etc) The site is well managed and we have found the manager Mungo to be most helpful on all the occasions we have been there. As a well seasoned motorcaravan owner, I appreciate having a manager that takes into consideration the comfort of ALL his tenants and I particularly liked the fact that unruly and bad mannered campers were requested to "keep it down" or leave.
You can tell a whole lot about parents by the behaviour of their children. Children are children and most of the time good parents teach them manners but there are a small percentage of parents that arrive at a campsite and think that because they are "camping" the management are babysitters for their little darlings ,even when their little darlings hang about he toilets pull toilet paper all over the floors and I have witnessed some kids pulling wash basins off the wall just for kicks and some very unmentionable things and when asked why "shur me ma is paying enough for this place". You don't get a whole lot of that at Lakeside, because the management do not tolerate bad behaviour from either adults are children , I did witness on one occasion a couple of "Tenters" who decided the rest of us who had hit the hay at a respectable hour were entitled to a free concert for drunks in the wee small hours. they were asked to leave For that one reason alone Lakeside is a great place to stop over,a second reason is for an Irish weekend as having the bar and restaurant on site is great when "mother nature" decides to wash the great unclean. All in all Lakeside is one of the better caravan Parks in the republic, pity its so far away, good facilities, well managed and despite the quality (which does need revamping) of the central toilet block I have always found it clean. And there is a magnificient toilet washroom facility at the rear of the main complex.
Bill Lupton

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
mungo s, Manager at Lakeside Caravan & Camping, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We appreciate your remarks especially as you represent thousands of members of the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland. We work hard at the Lakeside to ensure visitors enjoy their stay with us. We appreciate all the feedback we get as it helps us to improve our service.
Thanks, Mungo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Nice location. Positives end there.
Manager's attitude poor.
Basic facilities for third Millenium.
I guess it's ok if you want a retro style (think 1980s) camping holiday.
I wasn't expecting much but having read the managers response to other reviews, I think he needs to re-consider most of his comments - you can't just shoot all the messengers!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
mungo s, Manager at Lakeside Caravan & Camping, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
As I said in my response I acknowledge that our facilities are not as modern as I would like them to be, however, I also said in my response that the application for planning permission for new facilities is currently with the planners and we are confident of a positive reponse from them.

The new facilities will include separate ladies and gents toilets, showers, a new laundry, dishwashing and chemical disposal facilities.
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

First of all the manager was very helpful and friendly. He helped me giving me tips and providing me with maps and brochures of the area and some even the country. The camp is very nice, next to a lake. And it's as clean as we can expect from a camping park, I guess.

The only problem: it's very close to a busy road, so you can hear the noise from the cars all night.

I payed 20€ for myself, my dog, the shower and the car. The camping park even has a place for dog walking which is great, because it avoids the "gifts" on the grass where we put our tents.

If I'm around this place again, I'd probably stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Due to lack of time and being late at night i stayed one night with a small one man tent , A hefty 16 euros, plus 2 euros for shower, First impressions looked great, great views and a lake, HOWEVER-The shower drains were blocked and smelled awful, The water mixed with the other shower cubicles flooded out of the shower block my shoes were floating. Toilets were a total disgrace, In one toilet a "floater"was left !!!!!!!!! Dog foul was on the grass where i had to pitch tent, i didn't realise i had to pick up after someone else !!! I will definaely not go back or recommend this site . Overpriced ,dirty and just been ripped-off !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
mungo s, Manager at Lakeside Caravan & Camping, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hi! This is Mungo Sloan, Manager of Lakeside Caravan and Camping, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal. I am writing this review to address not one, but all of the negative reviews. I am deeply shocked and disturbed by the negative views these people have of Lakeside. A recent survey carried out shows that 95% of our customers were extremely pleased and satisfied with the level of service and facilities provided. I have been operating the Lakeside for over 10 years with a very high percentage of repeat business. According to research carried out by the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland and a number of the continental touring guides plus Failte Ireland, the Lakeside is rated very highly.
I run a quiet, secure family orientated site and there are times when I will have to speak to people who continually break the rules on the campsite relating to noise, dog fouling and children running around very late at night, ie 11.30pm. It is no coincidence that after these cautions negative reviews seem to appear.
I am attaching photographs of our facilities.
These facilities are cleaned TWICE a day. There are signs requesting people to let me know if the facilities need cleaning, as it is virtually unrealistic and impossible for me to stand there all day to ensure that they are left in an appropriate condition.
I welcome people to please try our facility and fill in our customer feedback form so that we can continuously improve our service and facilities.
Our current facilities are not as modern as I would like them to be. However, I recently received some great news! New bathrooms and showers, laundry room, kitchen and reception area are with the planners at the moment for approval.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries!
Kind regards
Mungo Sloan
Ulverston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

stayed one night with small tent 16 euros, plus 2 euros for shower thats expencive for a 1 man tent but was to late at night to find another site. shower drains were blocked and flooded to an inch of water, wet all my clothes (what exactly was i standing in? everyone elses muck i imagine!) toilets were a disgrace, the manager was dislikeable from the start and never offered any refund when i complained about the showers. there was dog excrement right next to the tent we discovered after setting up.. next night bushmills 5 star camp site 10 euros including shower (with music!) free games room! best ever

Room Tip: id rather sleep on the roadside
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I am attaching photographs of our facilities.
We haven’t increased our prices in five years and we are competitively priced in comparison with other campsites in Ireland.
Kind regards
Mungo Sloan

Been to Lakeside Caravan & Camping? Share your experiences!