“Beautiful views!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Ballina
Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful views!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights for a wedding and absolutely loved it. Room overlooked the river with beautiful views (I think most, if not all of the rooms have this view). The service was top notch (even a complimentary glass of bubbly on check-in!). The bedding was VERY comfortable and the bathroom luxurious. Food was great. Lovely breakfast spread (and you could order breakfast to your room at no extra cost!). I didn't use the spa but it looked really nice. We did have a dip in the hot tubs on the deck area which face right out onto the river, absolutely gorgeous!

The only TINY negative I would have was that there was an intermittent humming/motor type noise which we could hear quite clearly in our room - I don't know if it was the air con system or some kind of water pump or what, but it seemed to be only there the first night and after that either it wasn't there or I stopped noticing it. Also the sound proofing between rooms could be a tad better, but thankfully we didn't have any noisy neighbours!

All in all I had a fantastic stay - and for the standard of service and accommodation, the price tag was quite reasonable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ICEHOUSETEAM, General Manager at The Ice House Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear SetSail07 ,

Our sincere thanks for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent 3 day visit to the Ice House; they are very much appreciated by everyone here at the Hotel.

Ken and the Team at the Ice House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Youghal, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed in the hotel last weekend with our 5 month old and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! It was the most relaxing and chilled out hotel we have stayed in. The room was fantastic with large windows overlooking the river and a very comfy bed with a great sound system. I do think that the walls could do with a repaint! We could easily have stayed in the room for the weekend, it was so cosy! I loved the bathroom with the underfloor heating. The only thing I would say is I was a bit disappointed that there wasnt a proper cot in the room instead of the travel one provided as it looked well used. We ended up using our pram instead.
I had a massage and it was wonderful, also recommend a dip in the outdoor hot tub.
We dined both nights in the bar and both the food and atmosphere was fantastic! All the staff were really friendly. I was a bit apprehensive about having our baby in the bar in case she started crying but its was so chilled out that she ended up falling asleep on both occasions. A rarity!
I would highly recommend this hotel for a little treat if you need to get away and was actually sad to be heading home. We hope to head back again sometime.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear blondiegaff ,

Ballina, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you want to have a great massage then ask for Kate in the Ice House Hotel Spa. She is really good at her job, and you will leave feeling like a new person!! She creates a lovely atmosphere and sense of calm, just what you need when you are unwinding in the spa!

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The ice house is a beautiful hotel just outside Ballina. We were initially disappointed to see the hotel located just on the side f the road - but that disappointment faded as soon as we entered the hotel and saw the beautiful views from the restaurant and our room right over the river moy. The bedrooms are luxurious - we didn't want to get up. Excellent friendly staff and lovely food! Highly recommend!,,

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Easygoing064,

Mayo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Even though I have family in Ballna and many places to stay, I have stayed in the ice house 4 times, it is my favorite hotel, its a boutique hotel so quite unique, the staff, rooms and service are all top quality, and I love the spa, in particular the outdoor hot tubs, they will even bring you champagne in the hot tub if you ask!!! sheer luxury, pricey but definitely worth it!!
recommended
:-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear louise s ,

Our sincere thanks for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent visit to the Ice House; they are very much appreciated by everyone here at the Hotel and your continued and ongoing support for us.

We hope you enjoyed the Christmas festivities and would like to take this opportunity to wish you the very best for 2013. Hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to Ballina. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally when you are planning you next trip.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there for one night in the river view room and i thought it was amazing. Very clean, lovely views and staff were so friendly. Also had some food in the bar and it was very nice. Im already saving up for my next trip there! Highly recommend this place

• Stayed November 2012
Dear crystal221,

Ennis, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We arrived on the Friday night of the Halloween weekend. I queried the price with reception as the €646 price for two nights for my wife and I including one evening meal and one treatment each was more than that quoted on the Internet for the same package on any other weekend. The girl on reception was quite friendy but firm that the cheaper packages had all gone by the time I booked and the price was the correct one. Fair enough then supply and demand I suppose, the dreaded Market forces.
Problem is it wasn't worth it. The riverside suite we had was ok but not only the decor was cold the temperature in the room was freezing, this improved as time passed but it was obvious the heating was not on long enough before we arrived. Strawberries and chocolate were lovely also bubbly was nice touch.
Had awful trouble getting music to work on the sound system the remote kept asking for battery replacement but then worked on tv.
We asked for recommendation about eating locally and one Lady crossly contradicted another
about where to go, don't fight in front of the guests guys. 45 minutes to get milk for my tea which only came after I rang again.
The view of the river the next morning was beautiful with the sun on the trees. I had a massage on the Saturday afternoon, ok but a bit prissy I thought 'no touching above the knee now'.
The steam room was out of service but dry heat room was nice.
Dinner and two breakfasts we good but nothing to write home about. I would have been happy enough except I feel I paid top dollar for a mediocre two nights.

D

Room Tip: The still room has great river views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mastadon101,

Our sincere thanks for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent visit to the Ice House; they are very much appreciated by everyone here at the Hotel. We have made a number of changes since your last visit as expressed in more recent reviews and our steam room has been refurbished to enhance the Spa experience.

Ken and the Team at the Ice House

Been to The Ice House Hotel? Share your experiences!