“Fine.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Ballina
Dublin
“Fine.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I debated whether to give this hotel a 3 or 4 star...it would definatly be a 3.5

I'll start with the good points.
Lovely hotel,very clean.room was huge and the beds were very comfortable. Nice touches like cookies and mugs for your coffee instead of small cups. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly (in paticular waitress sarah) breakfast was fine. The gym was well equipped and the pool was nice.

there were some minor problems which on their own wouldnt be an issue but there were several of them!
1)the Hotel is really hard to find and the directions on the website are useless. For future travelers turn right at the big fish hook just before you get into ballina
2)There was no remote control for the tv in our room. I seen another reviewer mention this. We asked twice and in fairness the manager brought one up later that evening but it didnt work and she never came back with one
3)the wifi was really bad
4) the jaquzzi was out of order the entire time we were there
5) Several people have mentioned the poor service in the restaurant...and with good reason. we were sat for 20 mins before anyone came near us. we were waiting another 40 mins for our food. My garlic bread was stone cold and the pasta inedible. My husbands steak was cremated. there appears to be only one bar man serving the restaurant and bar (which are the same place essentially) it was busy in fairness but more staff perhaps would help solve this?

Its a pity about these things as it was a nice hotel...since several people have already commented on the same things it would be nice if the hotel attended to them

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Noel M, General Manager at Hotel Ballina, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Dublin Trish,
Many thanks for your recent review of Hotel Ballina. Having recently taken over as Executive Director at the hotel feedback, both good and bad, is vitally important for me to enable us to plan our future training and development needs at the hotel.
Whilst I was pleased to read that you enjoyed meeting with our friendly team of staff, especially Sarah who was delighted to be mentioned, I am sorry that we let you down on service; Emma and I are currently reviewing all procedures. We have appointed a new Head Chef who is joining us in the coming weeks and I am really looking forward to creating some great new menus for our customers to enjoy with him. I am currently working with Ballina’s Town Architect on addressing the lack of signage and we are almost finalised on the locations.
You will also be pleased to know that the Jacuzzi has been fixed and the Wi-Fi has been upgraded and is now available throughout the hotel on a complimentary basis.
I hope that you will appreciate that at Hotel Ballina we are making a renewed effort to ensure that we remain the best 4 star property in Ballina and that staff and management training is ongoing.
Should you wish to discuss your stay directly with me, please do not hesitate to contact me at roisin.buckley@hotelballina.ie. I hope to see you back in the hotel soon – please let me know when you are staying with us and I will introduce myself!
Kind Regards,
Róisín Buckley
Executive Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Birmingham England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

stayed at this hotel for 5 nights last week, rooms staff and food fantastic, the staff were so helpful and friendly nothing was too much trouble for any of them.
we were attending a wedding there, and would highly recommend this hotel for pleasure and weddings

Room Tip: from the rooms i saw all were lovely
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Kind Regards,
Róisín Buckley
Executive Director
newbridge,co.kildare ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and i two of our friends went for a mid week mini break to hotel Ballina we were greeted by very friendly staff,but when we were given our keys we were not told where our rooms were we had to find them ourselves.good room king size beds comfortable.the problem we encountered was when we went into the dining room to have our evening meal a waitress took our order and a half an hour later we got our starters 15 minutes later two mains came out 15 minutes later our husbands meal had not arrived very disappointing. When we complained they were all apologies the following night was a different story they could,nt do enough for us and we had a very enjoyable meal.Would i stay there again yes, hotel very clean staff very helpful friendly atmosphere relaxing.Bear in mind the hotel is at least half an hours walk from the town of Ballina itself 5 minutes by car taxis cost about e8.oo

Room Tip: there are only two floors so stairs were not a problem also there was a .lift
Ballina, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel over the last four years and standards have certainly slipped. Upon arrival my in-laws were allocated a room that had stains of a very dubious nature all over the carpet, and I don't mean the odd stain. In fact there were probably more stains to see than carpet.The cigarette burns in the curtains were another nice little touch.
Twice I had to return to reception because the room key wouldn't work.
The Jacuzzi wasn't working for the four days we were there, nor was the computer. The gym looks like something from the old Rocky films except not in as good condition. It mustn't have had a lick of paint etc since it was built.
Some of the armchairs in reception looked like they had been used as scratching posts by the local feral cats.
Finally, the black information folder in our room was so dusty, it was with great ease I wrote the simple but classic, "dust me" on the cover.
I used to enjoy staying there and the value for a four star was very good. The place has now become a joke. If you are expecting four star quality....don't.

Sligo, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

we held our wedding at this wonderful hotel and i couldn't fault anything or any other guests the food was superb i would definately reccomend this hotel and all the staff are friendly from the day we booked this hotel to the day of the wedding itself and Jason Moyles was wonferful anything you needed he would sort it for you and i will certainly be back to this hotel

Room Tip: well we had the bridal suite so i am not sure of other rooms
North Midlands Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Read all the reviews before we left so I arrived with an open mind. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to Enniscrone beach and that it had large interconnecting rooms and a pool.
The positives: As above short drive to a beautiful beach
Ballina is a good wee town, with some nice restaurants- Ocean Palace Chinese v good.
One problem we had with our room was v quickly resolved.
No issues with food, in fact it was of a very high standard while we were there. Hotel was full and the breakfast and evening meal was really good, all the usuals croissants etc.
Waiting staff particularly the breakfast staff were v polite and friendly.
Pool nice and wasn't overly busy.
Checking out v efficient and girl lovely.
Hotel clean.
The management didn't seem to mind hordes of kids racing around the foyer!

Negatives: Absolutely no frills as has been mentioned- no toiletries in the bathrooms and no signs for the doors.
The day we checked in the receptionist wasn't very friendly.
Its a bit off the beaten track so you have to drive everywhere and Ballina town is quite busy with traffic.
Remote control not working, but as we rarely had telly on no problem.
It lacks finishing touches to make it cosy.
Would we stay there again? Probably, but they need to up their game to maintain they are a four star hotel, in particular checking in staff should be mannerly and more welcoming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here at the beginning of August 2013 for 2 nights.
The hotel is not sign posted if you approach by foot from the train station so I ended up walking along the side of a dual carriage way before having to loop back round and go up a side road. This hotel is only suitable for car drivers.
When I got to the hotel I was told that the hotel had made an error with my booking so they did not have a room for me. They found me a room and offered me free breakfast the next day (which the breakfast waitress didn't know about and wanted to charge to my room).
I asked for an alarm clock but was told that the hotel does not have any clocks and i should use my phone (which was off as I was abroad). I then asked for an alarm call from reception which they agreed to but they didn't provide that alarm call. I was very disappointed by that. When asking about this at reception they offered no explanation.
I would avoid staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Ballina? Share your experiences!