Mount Falcon looks like an older building from a distance, but up close you can see that the exterior is modern and it is clear once you get inside that this is a modern hotel. The original building has been so much altered as to be difficult even to imagine. The grounds are lovely and there is a pond (the hotel calls it a lake but to North Americans it would be a pond) stocked with trout. I borrowed a fly rod and tried my hand for about an hour without success, but you can definitely see the trout in there, some of a good size. Salmon fishing is also an attraction, but you have to reserve your "beat" well in advance, and it's a very expensive pastime.
Our room was not large and overlooked the garbage disposal area, but there was no noise or smell, so that was not a problem. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was luxurious, and there was a flatscreen TV for those who require it. Our main interest was food and Mount Falcon did not disappoint. The dinners were better than the breakfasts, but service was uniformly good and speedy. Staff at the main reception desk couldn't have been nicer and were most helpful with directions, which we needed to get through the town of Ballina, which is not large but afflicted with the usual rush-hour traffic jams that plague Irish towns and cities.
Take a walk out toward the old cemetery and you're quickly in the Irish countryside with its old stone walls, pastures, and lush vegetation everywhere. After a rainy day on the course at Enniscrone, we found Mount Falcon the perfect place to warm up with a nice hot shower and a drink in the bar. Families with younger children will enjoy the swimming pool, while older couples will be charmed by the great food and attentive service.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel Ballina
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Ballina
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mount Falcon Estate lies by the banks of The River Moy ( the most prolific wild Atlantic Salmon river in Ireland ) between Foxford and Ballina ( The Salmon Capital of Ireland ). The Estate consists of a 4 star deluxe 32 bedroom hotel, 45 lodges, 2 miles of exclusive salmon fishing, a 3 acre rainbow trout stocked lake, 100 acres of mature woodland, a 3 km walking / jogging / biking trail, an Elemis Spa and Clay pigeon shooting. The house was built in 1876 and was a wedding present from one young groom to his new wife. The estate was originally owned by The Knox family who came to Ireland in the Cromwellian era and their ancestors are buried in the circular graveyard next to The Megalithic tomb. Opened in 2006 Mount Falcon was the youngest hotel to win The AA Hotel of the year. Head Chef Philippe Farineau and his team have achieved 2 AA Rosettes in the restaurant and in 2011 achieved The Best Hotel Restaurant in Connaught and The Best Head Chef in Connaught by The Restaurant Association of Ireland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, Otel and Venere so you can book your Mount Falcon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.