I begin by simply saying how sad we were to leave this eccentric beauty behind. We look forward to a return soon. The baronial structure is impressively imposing on approach and warmed up nicely by the tables and chairs weathering naturally outside - an instantly welcoming touch. I had read about the castle's inception as a 'love song' for one man's bride; Well,we had two young children in tow - 18months & 4years - and this place was pure fairytale for them too!
We took the option of a woodland chalet and it was perfectly appointed. Plenty of space to swing the kids and all the self catering amenities/toys and opulant finishes one could wish for. A handsome and short walk via a woodland folly to the hotel allowed us to reap the benefits of both Chalet serenity and Hotel bustle.
The swimming pool/ spa was a most welcome ingrediant of the hotel (and a little unusual in the context of heritage structures) The kids wore themselves down here allowing the babysitter an easy ride for our excursion up to the restaurant. The meal was memorable, as was the attentive service and company of our waiter from the Czech Republic. I professed a passing interest in the unfolding events of the Eurovision song contest and the Maitre D proceeded to update me every half hour...I was only joking!
Anyhow, this place may be famed for the fishing, but we caught something priceless here; What price for a peacful and memorable getaway with young children?
A sincere thanks to Henrietta and Deirdre for the warm hand of hospitality.
Get ready the heli pad - We'll be back soon!!
- Also Known As:
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel Ballina
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Ballina
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mount Falcon Estate lies by the banks of The River Moy ( the most prolific wild Atlantic Salmon river in Ireland ) between Foxford and Ballina ( The Salmon Capital of Ireland ). The Estate consists of a 4 star deluxe 32 bedroom hotel, 45 lodges, 2 miles of exclusive salmon fishing, a 3 acre rainbow trout stocked lake, 100 acres of mature woodland, a 3 km walking / jogging / biking trail, an Elemis Spa and Clay pigeon shooting. The house was built in 1876 and was a wedding present from one young groom to his new wife. The estate was originally owned by The Knox family who came to Ireland in the Cromwellian era and their ancestors are buried in the circular graveyard next to The Megalithic tomb. Opened in 2006 Mount Falcon was the youngest hotel to win The AA Hotel of the year. Head Chef Philippe Farineau and his team have achieved 2 AA Rosettes in the restaurant and in 2011 achieved The Best Hotel Restaurant in Connaught and The Best Head Chef in Connaught by The Restaurant Association of Ireland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, Otel and Venere so you can book your Mount Falcon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.