Now please don't look away even though I am going to give you two dull facts before I tell you how good the Mount Falcon hotel is.
County Mayo is on the north west of the country and covers 2,57 square miles, making it the third largest County in the Republic of Ireland. And having given you that bit of nerdy information I am willing to take a bet with you that you will not find a better hotel anywhere in the county because, quite simply, Mount Falcon is terrific.
Set in 100 acres the reception, bar and dining area is set in a grand old country house which also offers some luxurious suites and an extremely well equipped spa. Our group were down in the lodges some 100 yards away from the main building, all well fitted out and spotlessly clean, three-bed accommodation overlooking a limpid lake full of brown trout.
We were there to play golf and three of the finest courses you will find anywhere are all within an hour's drive. We played at Enniscrone, Sligo and Carne returning each evening to our base looking forward to some fine service, delicious Guinness- why does it only ever taste so creamily wonderful in Ireland? and friendly, helpful staff who helped make our stay even more enjoyable.
We had one morning to spare and joined the specialist falconers who work for the hotel and walked with them through the woods with their two Harris Hawks, Arizona and Nevada. We all had a chance to fly these fine birds and have them come swooping around the mature woodland trees before slapping onto our falconers' glove which contained a small piece of chicken treat for them. If you enjoy hunting and fishing, Mount Falcon is the perfect venue.
Although we did not have time to get into it the spa is really slick and, given the pints of Guinness and fine cooked breakfasts I was enjoying might have made a small dent into my calorific intake. But perhaps I shall go there next time. Mount Falcon is far too good a place to only visit once.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mount Falcon Estate lies by the banks of The River Moy ( the most prolific wild Atlantic Salmon river in Ireland ) between Foxford and Ballina ( The Salmon Capital of Ireland ). The Estate consists of a 4 star deluxe 32 bedroom hotel, 45 lodges, 2 miles of exclusive salmon fishing, a 3 acre rainbow trout stocked lake, 100 acres of mature woodland, a 3 km walking / jogging / biking trail, an Elemis Spa and Clay pigeon shooting. The house was built in 1876 and was a wedding present from one young groom to his new wife. The estate was originally owned by The Knox family who came to Ireland in the Cromwellian era and their ancestors are buried in the circular graveyard next to The Megalithic tomb. Opened in 2006 Mount Falcon was the youngest hotel to win The AA Hotel of the year. Head Chef Philippe Farineau and his team have achieved 2 AA Rosettes in the restaurant and in 2011 achieved The Best Hotel Restaurant in Connaught and The Best Head Chef in Connaught by The Restaurant Association of Ireland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Mount Falcon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel Ballina
- Mount Falcon Country Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Ballina