“Sunday lunch” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Healy's Restaurant and Fishing Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Foxford
Healy's Restaurant and Fishing Lodge
You added Healy's Restaurant and Fishing Lodge to your Saves list
Pontoon, Foxford, Ireland   |
Dublin, Ireland
“Sunday lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Not at all impressed with the Sunday lunch. Felt it was thrown together and bland.
Dining room nice but for what we got felt we got ripped off and certainly wont be going back.
Felt the owner was not a bit genuine - only just out to make as much as he could - with litle regard for the customers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We had been let down at Pontoon Bridge on our anniversary so wanted to find somewhere close to eat. A friend had recommended this place sober thought we'd give it a go. Right from the off it felt like the perfect decision. Great choice on the menu, prices were reasonable (we had 3 courses each including 9oz fillet steak and a pint each for 75 euros) the food was delicious and in particular the fillet steak was such a generous size and so delicious. The atmosphere was great, very busy yet service was lovely. We even got free wifi (which after 3 days without it was heaven). There were lots of things on the menu which looked nice and when we looked at the food coming out to the other tables it all looked good. The lovely waitress even offered to get us more chips if we needed them.
We had a lovely anniversary thanks to Healy's

• Stayed July 2012
Akron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We were also promised a refund of 140 euros due to a cancellation for Healy's that we had place in November, 2010. We have been waiting patiently. We even tried to get it back through our credit card but because we trusted John the grace period was too late. Healy's is a lovely place to stay and we thought because we had stayed there previously, we certainly would receive a refund as told.
We also had many emails with promises. We had put a deposit on our stay of four nights for half of the total which we felt was too high in the first place but we wanted to stay here. This was for a stay in April, 2011 and at this point, for future guests, buyer beware!
They will be reopening in 2012. I am sorry they had a fire but customers who were promised refunds should be honored.
I doubt we will see our 140 euros this late in the game.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

In November 2010 I paid a deposit for a visit to be made in May 2011. There was a fire at the hotel in January 2011 and and my visit was cancelled and on March 3rd 2011 I was told that my deposit would be returned. Despite many reminders all I have received are the occasional promise that I will be paid at some time in the future. I am still waiting as at 25th August 2011.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I have stayed and eaten at this hotel many times over the years and have never been disappointed.
The food is always of a very high quality and the staff very attentive.
My disappointment recently was to find they were shut due to fire damage.
I really hope they open again soon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

My freind and i were in Mayo for the weekend at a craft fair. We had booked into a much larger more corporate hotel, They twice had to close the hotel down and move us to a lodge further out of Foxford, it was the best thing that could of happened. The Lodge was so nice, the staff really looked after us ,the Waitresses, the Receptionist couldnt have been more helpful . the management were so kind to us and the owner John was great. We were caught up in the snow and were quite stressed out but we left laughing!
The rooms are comfortable the bathrooms are clean, with everything very adequate. We really liked the unpretentiousness of the whole place. we felt at home.
The food in the restaurant was very good and clearly the chef took great pride in producing very good food.
The breakfast was nice a great "full Irish" for all the right reasons, My friend who was vegetarian,was catered for with no fuss.We could have as much coffee and tea as we could drink It made our business week end( which was disaster ) a great experience and one that we will both remember for a long time. I will look forward to go back to Healys again when ever i get the opportunity.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Healys-Pontoon, Owner at Healy's Restaurant and Fishing Lodge, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Thank you very much for a nice report. We really appreciate it.

Thanks again
John Dever
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I've actually stayed three times at Healy's while searching for, and successfully completing on, a property in the area and this review is long overdue.
From the first visit and through subsequent stays of nearly a week each as well as dining there as a non-resident now I have my property, I have been struck by the friendliness of ALL the staff there; receptionists, bar staff, waiters and waitresses, the chefs and houskeeping staff. Nothing is too much trouble for them and coming back is always like being greeted by old friends. My Missus is a vegetarian and Rabie the chef was only too happy to run up vegetarian stir-fries and other off-menu veggie goodies and bring them into the dining room and serve them himself! The food is great and very good value... I had a lobster dinner for twenty euros. Wow! Fresh oysters are also on the menu with a varied selection of specials on the board. Breakfast is a treat with a full Irish, or scrambled or poached eggs served, along with the stunning view of sunrise across Lough Cullen. Great coffee (cafetiere), sooooo important!
There's a lovely characterful bar as well which is also a local watering hole so there's always a convivial atmosphere there and if you don't get chatting to a bunch of friendly folk then the fault is yours! The whole hotel is in effect a small, cosy anglers lodge full of old angling memorabilia which suits me just fine. John Dever, the very personable owner/manager, is a keen angler and golfer and is always happy to recommend one of the great golf links (Enniscrone) or fantastic angling venues for trout or salmon (almost anywhere!) along with info on flies or boat/guide hire.He runs a "tight ship" and ensures that everything is just right and all guests are happy. John also has a very keen pricing policy and we paid thirty five euros bed and breakfast per person sharing which I feel is fantastic value.
When I bought my property nearby and the plumbing blew up during the big freeze in Jan 2010, John insisted the missus and I use the shower facilities in a vacant room until the damage was repaired. True hospitality.
We invariably slept like logs at Healy's and if there's noise outside the room (lovely lake view) then it's the fault of the noisy guest outside the room and not down to John or the staff. Please note, Robbie1876.
All in all I love Healy's: the situation, the staff, the food, the friendly locals. It's an ideal base for touring, fishing, golfing and just about all the other activities the West of Ireland is famous for. What more do you really want? I would happily recommend Healy's to anyone and frequently do so!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your lovely review. It is much appreciated.

Merry Christmas

John Dever

Been to Healy's Restaurant and Fishing Lodge? Share your experiences!