“Not Good” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 73 Dingle B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not Good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

If you are the type of travelers that would enjoy the chance of stepping in dog feces right outside your bedroom door, then this is the place for you !!! I do not blame the dog, I am a very staunch supporter of dogs, but obviously he was not let outside to relieve himself. I do wonder the obvious, why is a dog allowed to roam around the house, if this is a public accommodation ?

My first instinct that warned me this was not going to be a "good place" to stay was the fact that when we arrived, there were no owners present. If not for the good luck of having some guests exit the house and let us in, we would have been sitting in the parking lot for almost an hour. As per the explicit instructions to CALL PRIOR TO ARRIVING, we did....three times, no answer, so three messages were left.. When inside, we used the mobile number given to us, for which we could hear a phone ringing in an adjacent room. We were told by the other guests leaving, that perhaps the owners were in their apartment and we could try knocking on the door. We did, no luck. We did notice a phone on the desk, and thought it was a pay phone, since it had a descriptive slot to "place the coins" We thought that this local phone might work better, so, coins in hand, we tried to call again. We soon realized that this was an answering machine, because it said, "you have three unread messages". So, obviously, they did not even bother to check messages, even though we were confirmed to arrive on that very afternoon.
Allowing for the fact that emergencies do happen and maybe they were involved in such a circumstance, we focused on our own emergency, the lack of a place to use a "rest room". After traveling for almost three hours, we decided to take turns to walk to town. If we both left, we would have been locked out, and having no idea when the owners would return we did not dare risk it.
Upon my return, I was met by the owner, who said she was sorry. I asked her if she had a cell phone, and she told me she left it at home. I do not understand how anyone who is running a business can be so lax in today's current method of communication. Her explanation was that she had an appointment at her daughter's school and her tone of voice implied that it should be accepted without question,
I would never recommend this place. Yes, it has a beautiful view, but so do several other places. It amazes me that after all we experienced upon arrival, not once did either owner offer us a cup of tea or coffee, a small token, but it would have helped soften the frustration that we had just endured.
Oh and be warned, even though there is a little "ring bell" on the desk, it is totally useless. God forbid any kind of emergency occurs after hours because there is no way to contact the owners, even though they live on the premises. When the dog had his accident, I knocked on their door, several times, and rang that bell constantly. I went outside, walked by their apt, and saw him lying down watching t.v. I came back in and yelled out loud outside their door and kept knocking. Totally frustrating. My cousin came down to help me, looked out back and said, "He's just pulling in, he must have gone out for a few minutes"...To this day, I do not know how he left without me noticing. I ran around towards the back, yelling 'hello, hello, and he was ahead of me, and proceeded to go into the side door, and shut the door in front of me. He would have to be deaf not to have heard me, as I was right behind him. I followed him inside and told him about the dog. He did not apologize at all.
If not for the fact that we were totally exhausted upon arrival and our stay was only for two nights, we decide to hope for the best and see what happened. The owner did make an attempt upon our check-out to apologize by not charging us for the first night. I am still not impressed with that because it is not anything that any other B&B owner would do to maintain good rapport with the public. These owners do not follow the course of many other B & B owners that go the extra mile to make the customers feel welcome, comfortable and secure in their "traveling home away from home".
The only saving grace is the owner's mother, who runs the breakfast room. She is what B& B hospitality is all about.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Pine City, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was a very nice B&B, close to town, and with a gorgeous view. The beds were comfortable and the shower was good, which are two very important things for me! The food was good, and the hostess was pleasant and helpful. I especially loved Buddy, the beautiful white fluffy dog, who greets all guests as though they were long-lost friends!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Of the b & bs and hotels that you can stay in right in the Dingle town that I researched (which were quite a few) this one was the closest to everything and right on the water, with a beautiful beautiful view. The breakfast room looks out to bay. This place also has its own private car park ( a bit rare in small towns and in general in Ireland ) and it is not right in the heart of the town but maybe a 5 min walk so you get privacy and the convenience of walking to pubs and shops.

Breakfast was delicious! My apologies that I don`t remember her name, but the lady serving us (Kathleen who runs the place with her husband I think the lady serving us was her mom) was so sweet! I wish I could have sat down with her with a cup of tea and chatted for hours! Kathleen and her husband were also really great at helping us plan out some details for our trip, recommending food, pubs and shops. Their dog, Buddy is also awesome. He is super friendly, and a beautiful Alaskan Malamute. If you don`t like dogs or are allergic, don`t worry he hangs out outside mostly and inside the owner`s private residence in the house.

So a few small things. The beds that we had were not the most comfortable...not horrible, but the double bed was smaller than we were used to and woke up with a stiff back. Also, the walls are a bit thin, so you can hear some normal living noise, but if anyone was making excessive noise, you really would not be able to sleep. So if you are a light sleeper, or get a bit cranky with loss of sleep bring some ear plugs. I`m not sure how the owners could even fix this..its an old building, like most in Ireland, so its kind of comes with the character of the place. Bring earplugs and you`ll be prepared if there is any excessive noise. I still gave 5 stars because the benefits far outweigh this fixable problem. Trust me, if you stay elsewhere you won`t get the view and the convenience of being so close. P.S great shower pressure :)

Will return to this B & B when in Dingle again :)

Room Tip: Request a room facing the water (you`ll get one in low season probably anyway without asking, we did...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay Sept 17th and 18th,2012 at Harbour Nights. View from our rooms of the bay and surrounding countryside was lovely and Kathlean was a great help recommending pubs etc. Our breakfasts were superb, filling and if the aroma could be bottled...it would outsell the best perfume! Heavenly brown bread too. If we are lucky enough to return to Ireland, we would stay here again.

Deb & Jim

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs Might have a better view of the bay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

my mother and i stayed here, sat 8th September. it is in walking distance to all major attractions in Dingle, we got to see fungi too, brilliant. we were welcomed by Kathleen. the manager, she was warm and welcoming. she is a wealth of information, and gave us numerous choice of were est to go and have a Guinness and dinner. our room was clean comfortable, the bed, single and double was great. breakfast was made to order, we had full Irish breakfast, amazing! as well a selection of fruits and cereals. Overall great bed and breakfast, great location and service!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We spent two nights this month at Harbour Nights and enjoyed our visit very much. The room was clean, comfortable and we had a great view of the water, and our breakfasts were very good too with continental choices and off the menu also. Kathlean and her staff were very friendly and helpful with lots of tips on local travel. Buddy, their dog, was a hit with my husband and everyone else who love pets and he was very well behaved too. The B&B was quiet too - no need for earplugs that I always travel with just in case! They also had a lovely sitting room on second floor overlooking water where families could gather - a plus for larger groups who need to spread out. Their location is ideal for walking to local restaurants and pubs too. Out of the Blue is a popular restaurant just up the street that is recommended. All in all, an excellent little B&B in Dingle.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back - facing the water - lovely view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was our second visit this year to the harbour nights having stayed there in march.The B & B is comfortable,clean with great breakfast & lovely views of the waterfront.Sean & Kathleen are so friendly & helpful & buddy the dog is gorgeous.Just a 5 minute walk to the town centre.we are already planning our next trip to dingle & will definitely want to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Harbour Nights Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!