“Worst hotel i have been to” 1 of 5 stars

Smerwick Harbour Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ballyferriter, Dingle, Ireland   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Dingle
Kells, Ireland
“Worst hotel i have been to”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The worst hotel ever. Upon entering the place smelt of cheap toilet cleaner. The staff made us feel unwelcome and the biggest suprise was upon entering the room, the room had dirty walls torn carpert and bathroom smelt of damp.The only good thing on the day we arrived was the bed linen was clean. the telephone in the room did not work we asked for replacement and we did not get one despite being there for four days. We ran out of toilet paper and when we asked for a roll my son was send back to the room and wait untill the house keeping staff start on their stocking round,these were the same stuff doing breakfast. Staff were so unfriendly apart from the polish girls who were lovely but clearly under pressure. Anne in reception made us feel as if we had turned up at her house uninvited to stay. We had no hot water after 10am the whole stay was a nightmare could not wait to go back home. The food in the pub was not hotel standard it was so bad the children refused to have meals there after their first meal

Room Tip: Stay away, unless they revamp the place and send the staff to train in hospitality
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here last month and were really disappointed. The room which was meant to be a family room for two adults and two children had only one double bed and a single. Carpets and furniture were really old, dingy and nasty looking. I wouldn't have walked bare foot for anything. Bathroom was really old and the tiles were all cracked with mildew and scum in them. Smell of damp when you walked into the room because it was! No fan in shower. water pressure is shower was crap too cause the shower head was all clogged up. Didn't really want to touch anything to be honest. Breakfast was the bare minimum of tea, toast, cereal, fruit stuff. After that you had to pay extra. Ten minute drive from Dingle town and about the same to the beach it claims to be right beside. The worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed July 2013
Cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Smerwick Harbour Hotel in Dingle, Co. Kerry with my wife and three kids for two nights in August. I was surprised when we got to our room having been told it was "ready" and found the room had not been hoovered. The beds had been made though. We had gotten adjoining rooms and the tv was not connected up to the the aerial in the childrens room. Also the bed locker door in the kids room was falling off it hinges. The tiles in the shower had meldew on them and the carpet in the room was very shabby and i would say was at least ten years old with dried in stains on it. The hotel itself is about ten minutes drive to the nearest town which is Dingle and there are no shops around for about four miles. On the plus side the staff are very friendly and the towels were changed every day we stayed. A glass of Coca Cola in the bar will cost you €2.50 and a pint of beer is about €4.30. The hotel needs to be seriously refurbished!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here last week, room was spotless, big and bright, breakfast very good, bar food was very good, we ate twice on both evening, service excellent, staff working here are fantastic nothing is too much for them. I think this is very good budget hotel and I will definitly come back here next year.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Worst meal I've ever had. Unfriendly and unhelpful staff. We had to get the menus ourselves.The place is designed to rip off tourists. All the food was frozen and vacuum packed and they charge prices of a decent restaurant. When we got the bill they still oncluded the food that was sent back. Do not done here!

• Stayed August 2013
Catherine C, Director of Sales at Smerwick Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Sic,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel, I am sorry to hear that your experience was not to your satisfaction, it is not acceptable that you had to get the food menus yourself and I apologise for the shortfall in the service. I would like you to contact me to discuss your experience as we certainly would not like any guest to think that we were out to rip anybody off, also I would like to know why you thought our food was vacuum packed etc, it seems an unusual assumption for a guest to make and I can assure you it is not true, we source local products and prepare them each day on the premises. I would appreciate it if you could email me your contact details on info@htlmc.ie and I can go through your experience in more detail with you. Kind regards
Catherine Cronin
Cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family and I stayed here last weekend, and having read some of the reviews here beforehand, was a little apprehensive before arrivng. However, as one reviewer has already mentioned, the negative reviews are very unfair, to say the least. I travel a lot for work, and I've stayed in far worse hotels for much higher cost. This hotel was basic, but comfortable and makes no claims to be the Ritz or anything like it.
My family had 3 lovely nights here, ate twice in the bar, where we got good food at value for money prices, and I cannot praise the staff of the hotel highly enough. Everyone one of them was very pleasant to deal with and extremely helpful, especially the Polish girl who I think was the General Manager, she could sure show us Irish people how to be a model of what a Manager of a hotel should be.
This is one hotel myself and family will definitely be returning to.

Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed in July during what was obviously a busy weekend for the hotel and having read some of the reviews beforehand I feel them to be totally unfair and indeed some downright outrageous.
Yes this is a 3* Budget Hotel and you get what you pay for and that is what my review is based on and yes some areas are getting a little jaded.
The rooms were basic but very spacious and clean,bathrooms are basic but again clean and no problem with supply of towels.
The breakfasts were excellent both the buffet of cereals,breads cheese etc and the cooked breakfast served.What more could one ask for to start your day.( Remember the price you are paying.)
The bar is very pleasant and the bar food was again v.good barfood,well presented and reasonably priced.
We had just toasted sandwiches one evening and again,well presented and what we expected.
The staff were friendly,courteous and most helpful.
The Hotel is ideally located for touring the Dingle Peninsula and you do not want to or can not afford to pay Dingle Hotel prices.
It is walking distance from Gallarus Oratory,a must to see,short drive from nearby beach and their is a great local hackney service €4 per person each way if you want to spent an evening in Dingle in some of their great restraunts or bars.
All in all you get more than what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Smerwick Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!