“Chowder Cafe” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Montpelier, Virginia
“Chowder Cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a great place to get good wholesome sea food for the right price. Staff was very friendly and helpful describing the different types of fish and shellfish that was available that day. This is like a good BBQ place but with seafood.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles
“Awesome burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Dingle is full of surprises. Had the most amazing burger, and hubby had the catch of the day fish and chips, equally good. Very reasonable prices too. Good service was had.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Seafood Chowder is AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My father and I really enjoyed the seafood chowder and side salads. We wanted something light because we were in a food coma from all the food we ate in Ireland. Another American we met along the way in Westport recommended this restaurant, so happy we took her suggestion. I have not eaten a lot of seafood chowder in my life, but to me, this chowder was fabulous. HUGE chunks of fish...loved it.

Newport News, Virginia
“Disappointing chowder”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was looking forward to some good chowder at this cafe. I have sampled seafood chowder in every Irish town I've been in every year for the past 10 years, so I know good chowder when I taste it. This was not it. It wasn't the worst I've ever had, it just wasn't up to the expectations I had of a restaurant that implies that they specialize in chowder. The chowder had some fish and two mussels in it, and its cream base was thickened with flour. There wasn't much of a seafood flavor to it, leading me to believe that they didn't use seafood stock along with the thickened cream. (6.75 euros) The rest of my party ordered sandwiches such as chicken salad, and they were fine with what they had. But for a restaurant with the word "chowder" in their name, I expected a much better quality chowder, especially in this seaside town. I was disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Just gorgeous - best food we have had in Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This food is gorgeous. They make their own chips - at last! Too many places say fresh cut chips/ crispy chips and they are just frozen inedible yucky chips! The menu is lovely - great choice. We had plaice and chips, loads of fresh fish, crispy and yummy. I had a thai chicken open sandwich, with lovely fresh great quality ingredients, simple but gorgeous and those chips. Our biggest regret is that we found this place on our last day. The team were helpful, smiley and knowledgable about the food. Well done team, this was fab!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere