“Great location for access to the Ring of Kerry” 5 of 5 stars

Shelbourne Street, Kenmare, Ireland   |
Ranked #17 of 62 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
La Verne
“Great location for access to the Ring of Kerry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I spent one night at Hawthorne House in September 2013 prior to driving the Ring of Kerry. It was a perfect location just steps from all the shops and restaurants. Mary was a delightful host and made us feel very at home. Our room was large and very clean. Breakfast was excellent. We would certainly recommend a stay at Hawthorne House to explore Kenmare and the Ring of Kerry.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Our stay at Hawthorne House in October was delightful. Our rooms were comfortable and immaculately clean. The location was perfect and the breakfast very good. But, the best part was Mary the gracious and vivacious proprietress. Mary made us feel at home immediately, made recommendations for restaurants and pubs all of which were great, and suggested a days sightseeing drive that was just lovely. We highly recommend Hawthorne House!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I were doing the Ring of Kerry and ending in Kenmare. We checked out several hostels and found that the prices were more or less the same (60-70 Euro for a double room), and ended up doubling back to Hawthorn House for its warm atmosphere and welcoming host Mary. She told us a lot about Kenmare and made it a very a pleasant experience. There's ample parking for people driving and it's very close to the best restaurants in Kenmare. We combined our stay there with a dinner at Mulcahey's and left extremely satisfied with our time in Kenmare. A great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Canmore, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at Hawthorn House for 2 nights, Sept. 24 and 25. It was excellent, especially our hostess Mary who is genuine and warm. We felt at home immediately. Our room was large and comfortable; the breakfast was delicious. The location was great. Kenmare is a lovely little town! Thank you, Mary.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room for 2 people coming to do some work for me. They arrived late in the evening and were warmly welcomed by the owner, Mary O'Brien. Breakfast normally commenced at 0800 but Mary went out of her way to start breakfast at 0730 to accommodate their early departure. This warm and most accommodating attitude complemented the excellent rooms and made their short visit most memorable.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

What a treat to arrive at Hawthorn House! My husband and I had a fabulous weekend in Kenmare and will definitely be going back and staying here again. The B&B is in Kenmare town and so a great location. Mary and Noel were the perfect hosts. We were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome, straight away making us feel at home. Our room was perfect and the Irish Brekkie, delicious, it kept us going all day. Highly recommended B&B and a must visit.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here in mid August I didn't book the room myself as I was there through a group booking. I didn't arrive to check in till 10 pm to be met by a lady who nagged for my late checking in . She then showed me across the yard my room this looked like a self catering apartment . The following morning I got up at 9.45 to cross the yard to the dining area to beet by a jolly waitress I ordered just a fry the rashers were burned like crisp and sausages tasted dodgy . I sed nothing and asked the young waitress for the bill for the night and she went to the kitchen and the boss lady appeared she didn't ask me was everything ok just asked €50 for the room no receipt or nothing I sed to her my mates paid €40 and that my rashers were burned she replied if I came down earlier it would have been fine and I replied it did say in the room 10pm she agreed on €40with a grunt and I left to never return again.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Hawthorn House? Share your experiences!