My husband, sister and brother-in-law and myself all agree that this place was not our cup of tea. We all stayed at five other properties throughout Ireland and agreed that this was the worst! When we were planning our trip, we decided that a quaint B&B would be great for Kenmare. The description and photos on-line looked okay so we decided to book it. After a long day and night of driving through a down pour of rain, we arrived around 7:00 p.m. We could not find anyone to check us in and were getting very frustrated. Finally, another patron told us to see someone in the bar. After about twenty minutes we were told to go up to our rooms which ended up being about forty degrees and extremely bare to the bone. We could tell that the heat was just turned on, so we decided to go to the bar for a drink and food hoping that the room would be warmer upon return. Too bad it wasn't. The window in the bathroom would not stay shut and the wind was howling through the bottom. The blinds would not stay down and the bath towels were the thickness of paper towels and as small as a hand towel. We wanted to complain to someone, but there was only one other patron and ourselves in the whole building. I am quite sure that if workers or the owner stayed in the building, there would have been heat in the room. We discovered through a waitress that the owner turns the heat off during the "off" season. The next morning we made our way down to the breakfast room to find that only five people spent the night and none of them worked for the owner. The owner showed up twenty minutes later, quite annoyed at the fact that breakfast would not be served until 8:00 a.m. and it was only 7:00 a.m. After asking him why there was no heat, he said that there must have been a problem and that he would surely check into it. We told him that we would not be staying for two nights and would be checking out now. He said he would give us a "discount" on the room and apologized again. We never did really see Kenmare because of our awful experience at O Donnabhain's Guesthouse.
The only plus was that the pub and the waitresses were very nice and the food was pretty good. It is apparent that all of the money goeas into the pub.
So if you are looking for a quaint B&B to stay for personalized service, skip this B&B and save yourself the frustration.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- O'Donnabhains Bar, Restaurant and Guesthouse / Bed and Breakfast provides a memorable and quality experience for food, drink and accommodation located in what is the hidden gem of Ireland, Kenmare, Co. Kerry. For our best rates Book Direct on our Official web site and save 10% ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your O'Donnabhain's Guesthouse B&B & Townhouses reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o`Donnabhain`s Guesthouse b&b & Townhouses Hotel Kenmare
- o`Donnabhain`s Guesthouse Bed And Breakfast & Townhouses