“Outstanding in every way” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sheen Falls Lodge to your Saves list
Sheen Falls Lodge
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sheen Falls Estate | Old Kenmare, Kenmare, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
“Outstanding in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent the night at Sheen Falls lodge on our way to the Kerry and Dingle Peninsulas. We arrived in a driving rainstorm and the staff was very helpful in aiding us in bringing in our bags and welcoming us. The room we were given was tremendous (room 202) which was it above the falls and had a nice little porch. The clientele was a little high-brow for our tastes, but overall we can't say enough good things about the Lodge.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Jim C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your very nice comments - I am really happy that you had such an amazing time with us and you enjoyed your falls view room. I am sure you had a great time in Dingle, our house Gin & Vodka is from that beautiful peninsula. Hopefully we can welcome you back to "The Kingdom" again in the near future.

phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I just cannot rate this place highly enough, I love love loved my stay here. We stayed in one of the villas just a few minutes walk from the hotel itself and it was just perfect for a family get-together. Even though the place is so luxurious, it is a comfortable and easy luxury that is the speciality. The villa is super-spacious. I did not want to leave the place. The service was outstanding throughout in a quiet and efficient - nothing is too troublesome. I enjoyed the fabulous food in the bar, the restaurant and the breakfast room. What an experience for breakfast, the choice was incredible and everything delicious. I hope to be lucky enough to get to return again. Everyone should make the effort and come to this truly special and magnificent place.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the falls come with the sound effects too!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Yellowdiamond,

Thank you for the most generous review of your stay we are all very happy that you had such a great time. Our Villas are certainly really something to behold and I am delighted you enjoyed them so much. Thank you also for the nice comments about our food especially our breakfasts!

Hopefully we can welcome you back again soon.

Purley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Having visited Sheen in September decided to re-visit and had an even better experience
Stayed in one of the cottages plenty of space and finished to a high standard 2 double bedrooms en-suite with dressing rooms lounge dining area fully fitted kitchen lovely conservatory you can enjoy the privacy of the cottage of enjoy all the facilities of the hotel
Lovely walks through the woodlands, fishing, horse riding are just some of the attractions available
The staff are all very polite informative helpful and cheerful
We enjoyed our 2nd visit and we are looking forward to our next visit

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Nigelbrignall,

I am really happy to read that your second experience with us exceeded your first, thank you for being so generous in reviewing us twice - certainly a third visit will be our pleasure and we hope yours too, see you again soon I hope.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed in the Garden Cottage in the grounds of Sheen Falls Lodge in March - and it way exceeded our expectations. The cottage is much bigger than we expected - both bedrooms are huge, with beautiful views out on to the bay. There are 2 large en-suites too - with heated floors being a very nice touch (especially in March, as it was a chilly weekend).

The lounge is also a generous size, with plenty of seating. It has a huge window overlooking the bay, perfectly situated for taking in the sunset over the bay and mountains. The kitchenette is also very well stocked with crockery and cooking utensils, teas, coffee etc. We didn't eat here, but you could easily have all your meals here if you wanted to. We were also very pleasantly surprised to find we had a Welcome Hamper, with lots of cheeses, bread, cold meats, smoked salmon, wine, soft drinks, bottled water, etc - a very nice bonus indeed!

There is a lovely outdoor seating area to the rear of the property and lots of parking space. We also walked through a lot of the grounds, which are beautiful and very well maintained. The staff in the hotel were absolutely fantastic - extremely helpful and friendly. They gave us lots of recommendations of places to eat and sightsee - and all that we tried were top-notch. - particularly, www.gleninchaquin.com. One of the staff told us of this place (we'd never heard of it). It's about an hour drive from the hotel - via a very narrow, winding mountain road, but well worth it - it's absolutely stunning.

We were very sad to leave Sheen Falls - we will definitely be back and possibly for longer next time, as a weekend wasn't enough!

Room Tip: the Garden Cottage is very good value for money. Although it;s right next to Little Hay house, it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ilovetravel8,

Its really great to read about your stay with us happy that everything exceeded your expectations and my colleagues were so helpful & friendly. That walk is stunning and I recommend it on a daily basis to my guests its well worth the spin.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon, do drop me a line and I'll be happy to help with anything I can.

Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I fell in love with this hotel when we visited on St. Patrick's weekend this year. What stood out to us the most was the friendliness of the staff. They were genuine, warm and attentive - the nicest staff we've encountered in a hotel. On our second day there, we bumped into Patrick, the manager, and mentioned in passing that we had come to celebrate a 30th birthday. During dinner later that evening, a special birthday treat was sent to our table. We hadn't mentioned our celebration to any of the other staff, so I was very impressed by the manager's attention to detail.

The location is stunning. The highlight of our weekend was taking a loan of the hotel's bikes and cycling out around Kenmare. The receptionist and porter gave us great recommendations on places to visit and good restaurants in the area. They even showed us where to go for good fishing (which landed us two healthy Rainbow Trout within an hour!).

We loved the decor of the hotel. The newly refurbished style is genuinely irish without the kitsch – lots of lovely fabrics, creative contemporary artwork by local irish artists, and high-quality pottery. Gorgeous sligo-made Voya products in the bathrooms were a welcome surprise too.

The leisure centre is small and simple, but lovely and spotlessly clean. The breakfast and dinner were very enjoyable. The pianist who played during dinner was exceptional. I highly recommend the afternoon tea too.

The new management of this hotel are doing a great thing. I wish them every success, and I look forward to seeing how the improvements continue. We'll be back at the first chance we get!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Aine C,

It was a pleasure to host you for your birthday - as you know we are doing lots of cool work around the Irish feel to our refurb and its nice to have that recognized thanks. I hope you have a great year and we look forward to seeing you both again in the very near future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

From the moment we walked in and our bags were whisked away while we waited for the room to be ready, the stay here was amazing.
The room was huge with great amenities, huge fluffy robes and the view, straight onto the river and waterfalls was unbeatable.

The bathroom was large and clean.
Breakfast were one of the best I've ever had. There was the usual selection and a menu with dishes from pancakes and french toast to minute steak.

The hotel was beautiful and the staff were helpful. The grounds are beautiful with an accessible forest walk. It was a 15 minute walk to Kenmare itself and if you want to take a taxi, the local companies are lovely. Kenmare itself is a beautiful town.

There is nothing I can fault at the Sheen Falls Lodge and I'm hoping to stay again sometime!

Room Tip: Any room might be great but we had ground floor, with the river just outside and the view was amazin...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sinead D,

Thank you I greatly appreciate your really lovely review. Delighted that you had such a wonderful time and we were able to give you the ideal Sheen Falls experience. We are really pleased that our breakfast was to your liking but Its my colleagues whom always make the stay so that is the icing on the cake that you felt so welcomed.

Looking forward to seeing you at Sheen Falls again in the coming, sunny!, months -

Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We cannot recommend this hotel enough. It,s clean, stylish,spacious and the staff are really friendly. It's not far from Kenmare so you can drive or get taxi. Our taxi was 7euros and well worth so you can sample the Guiness. I think there are 17 pubs to try. Our best meal so far was at the Resturant 35 on the main street. Everything is home cooked and the rooms are stylish with a cou th feel. Nice for a romantic meal. The only downside and this is nit picking is the pool is not designed for those wanting to have serious swim. It's more suited for families as it's an odd shape but it didn't spoil our stay.

Room Tip: Although we are just a couple we had a family room overlooking the water . The room was huge with c...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear rbgill1,

I am delighted that you cannot recommend us enough following your recent stay thank you for spending the time to leave a review of your stay up here its really appreciated.

My colleagues & I are most pleased with how you felt about them and your time with us.

Hopefully we can welcome you back to Kenmare in the near future

phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!