“lots of great parts but some disappointing.” 3 of 5 stars

Park Hotel Kenmare
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kenmare 555, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Kenmare
Cavan, Ireland
“lots of great parts but some disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This a very old fashioned style hotel which I love and I cannot complain rooms where nice but the bathrooms where dated and not great. Its in a lovely location , the food was quite nice not 5 star or anything like it. The service was excellent the bar pretty boring and not much atmosphere.

But apart from all the above the spa was out of this world I have being to lots of great spas and I have to say this is one of favorites its flawless the hot tub the relaxation room, its divine and well worth a trip for this alone. But the prices are still very high esp these days and I feel its not worth the rates they charge.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Cookeville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Park Hotel Kenmare was at the tail end of a 10 day west Ireland vacation for myself and another couple. Trip Advisor review prior to travel made me nervous. A call to my agent, Kathi Sheridan advised me to hang with it. Not disappointed at all! Yes it is an old manor house with all the quirks of such, but the service I received was wonderful. The room overlooking the lake. #318 was wonderful.
Bar service was prompt and engaging, staff was quick to offer help and to inquire of our needs.
The grounds are beautiful and the location is the Best in Kenmare. The only complaint was a subpar plate of pancakes one morning. I do wish they had a grab handle when exiting the tub! A quick grab of the towel warmer let me know that was not its purpose!

My three night stay proved to me that my agent was correct in her choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
missoula, montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here in mid-August, the height of the tourism season and the view was magnificent. Our room was marvelous, but one has to remember that this is an old fashioned hotel. Most hotels don't have a fainting couch! We loved it. For Americans the hard part is slowing down. We didn't have tea making facilities and it worried me. But, I discovered that you picked up the phone and the porter brought the tea and hot chocolate instantly! My only complaint was the very high price in the dining room plus our carpet was dirty. However, room service was fast and not unreasonably priced. The staff were marvelous to us and we couldn't have been happier.
One day, my husband wanted to go fishing. It was all arranged and a huge storm came in. The staff said, you really don't want to do that and cancelled it for free! Then we decided to eat in town and they showed us a shortcut so we didn't have to walk in the wind and rain for too long
We loved the small town and were able to attend a fantastic fair while we were there. It was grand. We bought raffle tickets for 2 sheep and are waiting to win (LOL). The children selling them were too cute to refuse.
We would return in an instant. We compared it to stays at the Shelbourne and the Merrion and concluded that the Park Kenmare was far superior!

Room Tip: Ask for the bay view!
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is billed as the best you can find in Kenmare. The town is lovely, the staff pleasant enough and the spa made everything tolerable. Like the other reviews I am reading now (a bit too late) this hotel changed the price on arrival because we had two people and one room. The Amex travel person booked one room. Apparently some miscommunication with the travel agent. Regardless, price almost double to 400+ euros a night. The rooms smelled. The were musty, underground, carpet was dirty and worn throughout the place. Luckily our room was next to the spa entrance so we would walk into that hallway to smell the eucalyptus. Just read the other reviews. They speak the truth.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor - stay at the Europe Hotel in Killarney and just visit here.
fort lauderdale, florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Since I had researched many places in the area and this appeared to be top of the line, we were looking forward to our stay. Well our experience was far from a top quality, 5 star hotel. The hotel appearance is stately and I would expect the room decor to be similar- yet our accommodations were old, musty and not clean. The carpet was dirty, there was a dirty bag behind the nightstand, the mattress was old and uncomfortable...need I say more. They need to undergo a serious room renovation to be a top quality hotel. I did enjoy Kenmare and the surroundings but did not enjoy returning to our hotel room after a day of touring. Our 2 day stay was 2 days too long and I wish we could have spent it in nicer accommodations. We have been home for 10 days now and my husband is still complaining about the kink in his neck as a result of the uncomfortable bed!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was really looking forward to my stay in the Park Hotel. Given that Francis Brennan is on tv acting like he really knows his stuff I thought this stay was going to be superb - far from it. When we arrived we were offered help with our bag. The 'helper' was to follow us to our room with our bag - it arrived 15 minutes later. We were offered tea on check in, which we were glad to accept after a long drive - it arrived 40 minutes later, after a call to reception - there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. When I first stepped foot in the room my face fell. It was poky, dull and lifeless. Twin bed and small tv to the right of it.
For dinner we were seated in the middle of the way of waiters/waitresses going in and out of the kitchen with plates I was sure one was going to hit off me and so couldn't relax while eating. One did hit off me at one stage and although only slightly just kept walking without an apology. I asked would it be possible to move seats but was told it wasn't as all seats were full. The food was not to our liking either, very average, as was the breakfast next morning - warm milk for the cornflakes...
The pool again very average, dull and lifeless.
All in all the Park Hotel is overpriced and how it has a 5 star rating is beyond me. I have never before written a review on a hotel but was so so disappointed by this place I just had to. I would not want anyone else to waste their money staying/eating here when there is such good value to be had elsewhere.

Youghal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

While on a camping trip to West Cork we decided to treat ourselves to breakfast at the 5 star hotel..with our four young children. After scrambling to get everyone showered and presentable for 10.15 we shuttled into kenmare at top speed .. Hid the camper van .. We were greeted loudly by a sour faced waitress at top voice as being the non residents! Not even a good morning/ hello.. Her mood only soured more as breakfast progressed. Even our children picked up on the vibe and her stony faced demeanour. The dining room was mostly occupied by American couples. I cringed to think was this the Cead Mile Failte they received too!we really are a friendly nation. The seasonal fruit salad was inedible- fruit under ripe and minuscule portion. The warm fruit Salad was more appetising. Fresh turbot satisfactory ..portion sizes very lean!
The attire of the young girl clearing the tables was a throwback to another century and she shuffled about with such a sad face and eyes lowered. My 7 year old even asked me did I feel sorry for her .. And I actually did!!
While a male waiter was conversing with my husband at the table the restaurant manager Marched up and whacked him discreetly (not so!) while he was in mid sentence. He was obviously needed elsewhere immediately!
Decor is really beautiful from front lobby to the dining room. We were given a nice round table by
The window but were blinded by the sun ..no blinds!
Bicycles lining the entrance a nice touch.. Empty beer bottle not so... With three kegs in proud
view also ..
This is my first review.. But I felt compelled to offload my sentiment! Only sorry it really didn't live up to our expectations.
Francis was friendly to the children in fairness but he should really consider a refresher training course for his dining staff.

Room Tip: Spend your money wisely... But not here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Park Hotel Kenmare? Share your experiences!