“Fantastic, Try the Lobster” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 46 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Carlow, Ireland
“Fantastic, Try the Lobster”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

A beautiful venue in lovely Kenmare provides the setting for some really excellent dishes. We really enjoyed the fresh Lobster, but the menu was wide and varied. Service was top class as well. Looking forward to a return visit!!!

Visited July 2014

Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful food in the heart of Kenmare.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The sirloin steak with pepper sauce was beautiful. Rack of lamb cooked to perfection and the taste...!! Staff very friendly and professional. Prices very reasonable for the quality of the food.

Visited July 2014
Cork, Ireland
“DELICIOUS!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is my third time in this restaurant - I would go again and again and again and again. The food is absolutely delicious. I dined here last Saturday June 29th with my husband and two adult children, imagine - four starters and no complaints, followed by four main courses (3 fillet steaks and lamb) and everyone was smiling - the steak was so tender you could cut it with a butter knife. The staff were both friendly and helpful. Lovely atmosphere. I hear you say there must have been something wrong - not with the food, perhaps if anything you would say it was not cheap but I think it was worth what we paid for it. Would I go again ? yes yes yes.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, North Carolina
“Good, but not as good as I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

WARNING: This review is done by a lacto-ovo vegetarian eating at a restaurant known for its fish and meat.

I had heard good things about The Lime Tree from several folks. But as a lacto-ovo vegetarian (eggs-milk products okay), the best restaurants earn their reputations not based on their vegetarian food. Still, the menu advertised a mushroom soup starter and a goat cheese/beet salad main dish.

The soup was excellent, a full musty nose, and pureed smooth. I would have preferred the croutons to be fried crisp in Irish butter ghee so they didn't turn into soggy bread cubes.

The goat cheese beet salad was disappointing. Goat cheese is not Ireland's strong point (too tasteless for my liking), and here the goat cheese was rolled into breaded croquette logs that lacked any special signature. I couldn't help thinking that these tasted like they could have come out of the freezer section. Where are the spices?

Even more frustrating, the beets had been shredded into three little conical piles. What a sad treatment of the potential of a beet. And there was only the most traditional purple beet, again, lacking spicing. When I get beets as a complement to goat cheese, I expect thick slices or chunks of beets, more varieties, and/or different pickling treatments.

The desert, a special Kenmare invention, was not good - basically a scone getting soggy in a sauce.

Note: This review is by a vegetarian. My wife ordered the Irish beef and said it was some of the best beef she has ever had. But it's my review of what I ate, and that spells average.

Visited June 2014
Killarney, Ireland
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

8 of us had the pleasure of dining in this restaurant 2 weeks ago. It was all of ours first time here. All I can say is, top marks to everything. We all agreed that it was the best meal we have had in a long long time. We actually could not fault 1 thing. We all had fish (different fish) and 1 of the group had steak. It was just fab. All plates for starter, main course and dessert went back totally empty (that says enough). Mike - the chef, was an absolute dote and sat and chatted with us after the meal. We will all certainly be back and a big 'thank-you' to everyone in the Lime Tree for making our night so special.

• Visited June 2014