“Best avoided” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rose Cottage

Rose Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenmare
You added Rose Cottage to your Saves list
The Square, Kenmare, Ireland   |
Ranked #40 of 61 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Finland
“Best avoided”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

We stayed one night at the Rose Cottage in July 2009.

Our host Maura was a lovely old lady and I feel bad for giving a bad review. The good thing about the place is the great central location, parking and the lovely host. On the other hand I must comment on the maintenance and the condition of the place. The paint was starting to come off, the house is really outdated and we had spider webs in our room (I also killed 2-3 spiders in the bathroom during our stay). Also the breakfast was pretty basic eventhough Maura did her best to fullfil all request. The funny thing is the review about the food poisoning. We didn't encounter such thing but we did notice that the breakfast wasn't as fresh as it should. We actually discussed among ourselves how old people (also discussed my own parents) at some point lose the sense of how long food stays edible. I found the defensive reply from the owner to the previous review a bit strange.

I must thank Maura for our stay and I don't want to offend such a lovely lady with my reviews. Unfortunately my honest opinion is that she should retire to enjoy her well earned retirement. The place would need a new owner and full renovation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I read a terrible review on this hotel, but decided to give it a try. My husband and I stayed for 2nights, The house is so near the square in Kenmare, perfect location for the shops, restaurants and bars, lively friendly place! Rose Cottage is a lovely sweet place, relaxing and welcoming - a great place to come home to after a day sight-seeing. Delicious irish breakfast! Our stay was lovely, and we would stay there again.
I really hope the bad review does not put people off staying there- to me, it was like that man had stayed somewhere totally different, I wonder if he was writing about the same place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
North East England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

Stayed at Rose Cottage for a week and, frankly, how we stuck it out for so long, I dont know! The place was in dire need of a complete and extensive facelift. The crockery was cracked, chipped and often unwashed - this I suspect because of the failing eyesight of the aging host, Mrs Maura Murphy! I contracted food poisoning (here!!) and had to miss out on five of the seven breakfasts! Just as well as the two breakfasts I did sit down to, I couldnt finish - burnt eggs, cold beans, overcooked fatty bacon! Ugh! Horrible! Of course I was not surprised when there was no offer to reduce the charge made! Despite missing 5 breakfasts I still had to pay the full whack! Disgraceful! I cannot put thisany other way; DO NOT GO!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
IlovelucyIreland, marketing at Rose Cottage, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
As the landlady in Rose Cottage I am deeply upset about this review. I am very open to feedback and although no one likes to hear complaints I always take them on board and do my best to rectify them. However, in this instance I utterly refute the claim of food poisoning. This person was in fact unwell on arrival. I remember clearly that on the first morning of his stay he did not come to breakfast at all – because he was feeling ill.

I know that being unwell and confined to bed for such a long portion of a holiday can have a negative effect on a person's experience of the place they are staying. But we were not to blame for the illness.

In brief response to the reviewer’s other comments:

1) In the many years I've been running a B&B I have got very few complaints on the food I serve. I apologise if the reviewer was served beans that he thought were cold and an egg he felt was overcooked. It's such a pity he said nothing to me at the time. Had he done so, I would have been more then happy to cook another egg or heat up the beans.

2) With regard to his personal comments on my failing eyesight - I would like to think that my eyesight is holding up very well but, just in case, I delegate all the washing of cutlery and china to my trusted dishwasher!

3) Despite what the reviewer said, I did in fact give a small discount but, as no criticism was made at the time, this was entirely based on the fact that he didn't have breakfast every morning of his visit.

Staying in Rose Cottage is not the same as staying in a modern hotel – it is a less luxurious experience but this is an old traditional cottage and is my own home. I give a warm welcome to everyone who arrives and enjoy serving and engaging with the many visitors from around the world who pass through my door. I have had many very satisfied customers over the years

For those who read this reply I would ask you to take a chance on me and call and see for yourself – without any obligation at all to stay.

Mrs Maura Murphy
Proprietor
Woodbury, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2008

Having toured the Skellig Islands earlier in the day, we arrived in Kenmare without a place to stay. Our hostess, Margaret, welcomed us with open arms. The Rose Cottage is a beautiful home, steeped in history. Located in the center of the town, everything is within an easy walk away. If your bag is modern accomadations in a hotel-like atmosphere, this is not for you. But if you want to have an Irish grandmother for a day with a biting wit- this place is a can't miss.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

What can I say! Having returned from a recent trip around Souhern Ireland this was without doubt the worst accomadation we stayed at , it was dreadful, the whole place was in dire need of re-furbishment, to say it was outdated would be an under statement. I can not think of anything positive to say about the place. Don't go!!

Been to Rose Cottage? Share your experiences!