“Great place to stay off season” 4 of 5 stars

You added Harbour House & Leisure Centre to your Saves list
Harbour House & Leisure Centre
Scraggane Pier, Castlegregory, Ireland   |
cork
“Great place to stay off season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very friendly and helpfull magnificent views from bedroom but rooms could do with attention with regards cleanliness,carpets need chainging. Loud creaking floorboards along the hall to the bedrooms. overall we had a good experience Great place to go off season.

• Stayed February 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

14 years of traveling and staying in all types of accomadation.... This was by far the worst experience ever. The food, the staff, the premises, the hygiene, everything.....
And I don't mean facilities or location..... Hot water is paramount in any accomadation... None on the night of our arrival and none on the following morning following a terrible cheap quality breakfast. We were fobbed off morning and evening my the staff and then the owner.....
Worst thing is we were advised not to stay there.....
BE WARNED !!!!

• Stayed July 2012
West Cork
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed in the Harbour House recently at the end of a camping trip. The main reason we had booked the place was because it included a 'leisure centre' (a sauna and a pool) -- we figured that after a few nights in the tent, a soak in the sauna would be just the job. On the afternoon of our arrival, I went horse-riding with a group on the beach and was REALLY looking forward to having a sauna after that. However, when I got back to the house, my partner informed me that contrary to the information in the booklet in the room (and another notice by the sauna door), the sauna would not be available between 7 and 8 in the evening; instead it had closed at 6pm. I went back to query this with the man who had checked us in. I then had the most bizarre conversation with him. He insisted that he had told us upon arrival that the sauna would close at 6pm because the whole system was on 'single-circuit' electric system, and they could not run the sauna and the kitchen at the same time (!). When I told him that he definitely had NOT mentioned this to us (we were pretty focused on the sauna and there is no way we would have missed this piece of information), he got very defensive. When I said that the sauna was in fact the main reason we had booked this place and that we were very disappointed that we could not use it, the man got extremely defensive and suggested that we should leave. At 7pm, in a remote place, this obviously was not a very handy option for us. The worst thing about the whole experience, however, was not the fact that we were not able to use the sauna that night -- it was the way this man behaved. He did not have one ounce of customer service attitude about him. In most places in Ireland, the manager would at least try and make peace and perhaps offer a complimentary drink on the house, or make some similar little gesture. This was certainly not happening here. When I dared suggest this, the man actually said 'Absolutely not!'. I walked out, very unhappy about the whole experience. Needless to say, we did not feel like having dinner in this establishment that night and had our meal elsewhere.

The next morning, there was different person behind the desk, and she could not have been nicer. We had a pleasant enough morning and breakfast before out departure. My partner used the sauna; I did not, because I had already made other plans.

On the plus side, the room had a lovely view, so that was a comfort at least. The nice lady (who I think was the proprietor), would do well to not let the nasty little man anywhere near the guests. He very nearly ruined it for us.

Room Tip: Request a room with sea view if possible; otherwise you'll be overlooking a car park.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Just spitting distance away from the longest beach in Europe, Harbour House is an excellent family run B&B. Not only does it have its own good restaurant and bar but also a pool, sauna and gym room as well as a diving and water sports school. The atmosphere here is very friendly with staff eager to help, striking the right balance between friendly familiarity and observing patrons privacy. I especially liked that the rooms did not have TV which both provided a peaceful air and encouraged people of all ages to socialise in a choice guest lounges,restaurant and bar. I hope to be able to stay there again and maybe next time book into a diving course for some of the family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I loved everything about the Harbour House. It was a very welcoming and friendly place to stay. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The location was fantastic. I opened my window each morning at 6am to hear the sea and the birds. It was simple, yet perfect, accommodation for a quite relaxing few days. I don't dive - but I just might try it next time!! The food was exceptional. Breakfasts was delicious and but dinner was exceptional - wonderful food, especially the seafood, cooked and presented to a standard that I have rarely experienced. Go to Harbour House as soon as you can - I hope to be back soon. I can say that this was the best value for money that I have had in Ireland for a very long time. Well done everyone.

It rarely happens me, but I cannot think of anything I didn't like about it!! Maybe ---- a very small thing ---- could I suggest that they put a mirror near a plug where the hairdryer can be plugged in!

Room Tip: I could see the sea from my bedroom window and that was fantastic
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Navan, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my wife were staying in the area recently and decided to eat here. We both had seafood and both meals were excellent. I had the seafood platter and my wife had the scallops. I have never had a seafood platter as big before and was so impressed that I called some friends who the following day drove 70 miles to try the food.
The restaurant is very clean and spacious, the staff are very friendly and accommodating and even brought out some children's books for my children as well as some complimentary ice cream for them.
I didn't stay here so cannot comment on the accommodation. View across the harbour is beautiful and I look forward to trying the restaurant out again in the future.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

You want to learn how to Dive from top instructors with great experience and even better attitude? Couldn’t say enough about Waterworld. Not the movie. I am talking about the number one dive centre in Ireland.

Professional and Flexible Instructors –check
Easy to use Equipment-check
Something for the kids and other non-divers to do-check
Good Irish banter and Family Ethos-check, in abundance!

Awarded winning Cusine-Check

From studies from all around the world, Ireland has been proven to be one of the best educators in the world. No offence to anyone else, but it even has been said Ireland is the best country to go to for learning English as a first language. And so is true for education in diving. Must be the luck of the Irish (

Well Irish eyes are definitely smiling in Kerry. Waterworld is Ireland’s FIRST National Geographic Dive Centre and from the way they care for people I am not surprised by their care for the environment. Situated in the picturesque village of Castlegregory, at top of the peak of Scraggane Pier Road, This PADI 5 Star Gold Palm Instructor Development Centre operates from Harbour House Leisure Centre, and is home is a family of seasoned professional divers. With their endless knowledge and charming ethos, Waterworld really impressed me with their kind manner and ‘heart’. Their appealing approach to good old fashioned country hospitality puts even the most nervous diver at ease.

The Irish are best known as having the ‘craic’, and this place provides plenty of that. Everyone wants learning to be a bit more fun and less about work, and by this remarkable technique to teaching, you don’t even feel like you are being taught. You are encouraged to move at your own pace and feel completely at ease at all times. There is a wide range of interesting courses offered here and even for non-professional divers who just want to try something new, this place revolutionizes the way to learn by making it fun and motivating at the same time. PADI’s mantra –Diving is Fun- is re-enforced on every lesson.

There are recreational and educational aquatic courses, its not just about diving. You can get certified in National Power-Boating during the day and experienced navigating boats at night with a top class Instructor. You can continue your PADI education all the way up to Instructor or just play around earning your Adventures in Diving.

From my international dive experience, I have never known a better teacher than the Course Director. A lady of class and integrity, she certainly doesn’t have the words ‘I can’t do it’ in her vocabulary. And definitely won’t let you have them in yours after she is through with you! It can be hard to find a happy medium between teacher and friend but this lady manages to flow fluidly between both with ease. By the end of an hour with this fantastic woman, you will feel like you have known each other for years. Superb teacher and amazing friend, I would be proud to have her as my ‘phone a friend’.

The family owners of the centre and B&B are so charismatically good-natured and harmoniously cheerful to everyone you always feel welcome and contented in their presence. Get taught one course by a sister, another by a brother, get your mouth-watering breakfast made by a mother (try the pancakes!!) and get amazing stories and wonderful advice from a father, this family are infectious (. Whether you want to experience some fantastic dives, learn how to drive a boat or just enjoy the beautiful Kerry Countryside, the passionate Waterworld staff are always on hand to guide and encourage you.

Price wise, you won’t have better quality. Coming from Dublin and staying here 10 days was cheaper than doing the course I wanted in Dublin and living at home.

From waking up in the morning to a scrumptious included breakfast to when you lay your head down on your inviting bed, you can’t help but feel relaxed. The Gracious staff are sociable and more than accommodating and the facilities are drenched in Irish tradition that make you feel right at home. When you walk into your brightly decorated room, you automatically smile from the warmth and comfort oozing from the comfortable décor. Even though the sea in Ireland may be sometimes cold, the atmosphere here is always far from it. When you stay here, you feel like family. The warm ambiance reflects the friendly service.

Safety, there is no way this place is beat on Standards. Whether you are looking to enjoy a family holiday, looking for a pit stop on a road trip or want to enjoy some west coast diving, Waterworld can provide it all for you. And more.. With a Gym, Sauna, Swimming Pool, 3 Lounges (including a quiet and tempting reading room and a large upstairs lounge with unbeatable West Coast Ireland views), a bar and a delicious restaurant, Waterworld is more than just a dive centre. Whether you want are a diving fiend or just want to relax in a chilled out quiet atmosphere, Waterworld provides something for everyone. From play areas for the little kiddies to scenic tours for the more mature, this place surely is an oasis with a heart as big as Ireland itself.

PADI is the way the World learns to dive, but that doesn’t mean you have to search the world to learn how to dive.

So bypass the need for lying on the sun lounger in the blazing sun after a dive and keep it local. Check out Waterworld for some amazing diving and even better ‘heart’. From a training point of view, You won’t regret it. Unpretentious, humble, expertly qualified, chill-out dive professionals with an approachable and effortless style. Specialist guidance with world renowned reputations and influential practice, these professonals are on hand to practice in the 3m deep dive pool or in the local bay. Then you can relax in the sauna to smooth those aching muscles.

Diving in Ireland is definitely an experience you will never forget and with Waterworld you’ll be coming back for more. Check out Waterworld.ie for more details.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Harbour House & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!