“Very nice location” 3 of 5 stars

Harbour House & Leisure Centre
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Scraggane Pier, Castlegregory, Ireland   |
“Very nice location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We spent one night in this place. Rooms are nice and we had a great view on the see. Bed was confortable. The room was clean, but the bathroom was only ok. The bar is also nice.
We had dinner in the restaurant, and however the dinning room was nice, the food was really poor. Ingredient not really fresh and basically not good. It's a shame to leave this very nice place with this impression

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dalkey, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I stayed here with my family in August 2011 and was terribly disappointed.

I would class the accomodation and general facilities as a hostel, more than a guest house or hotel. From arrival, we were not welcomed with a warm reception and found the staff and proprietors most unhelpful. The bedrooms are very basic and in general, the building is in terrible repair. There are also dogs kept on the premises who were allowed into the kitchens through the side door, which I found very poor practice.

Also, the hotel's bar/restaurant area is closed quite early, when the owners want to go to bed and the guests are squeezed into a small sitting room - when we were there 10 of us were put into a small room to finish a drink and no-one was impressed.

The level of service at breakfast was also terrible and the breakfast itself was of a a very poor standard.

We were due to stay here for two nights, but checked out after the first and so did another couple we had met. Others we met at the hotel were surfers who found the hotel excellent as a base for surfing during the day - as the surfing is supposed to be superb near the hotel.

I would not return based on the premises and service, but there is no denying the location is spectacular.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Castlegregory hotels

Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We didn't stay at the B&B, but had dinner in the restaurant.

The restaurant is quite small, but with a nice atmosphere. It is overlooking the sea.

The food was really good (we had the seafood platter and the fish & chips). The prices are reasonable and the staff was friendly.

Can't say anything about the rooms, but would come back for food again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The location of this B&B is simply quite wonderful.
The level of concern and care the owners/staff showed to me was truly exemplary. I don't say exemplary lightly , the reason I say it is that while sightseeing about 2 hours and 30 klm after checking in, I tripped on some scenery and fell -bashing my head and breaking a rib. I was lucky enough to be able to drive back to Harbour House after the fall. When I arrived the owners / staff couldn't do enough to help me - took me to a doctor around 25 klm away and then to the local hospital and waited until it was decided that I could "go home" and they then gave me a lift back (around midnight) even though I told them I was fine and to leave me there . They looked after me as though I was a family member. It was an extremely pleasant surprise and the multiple cups of tea provided were very much appreciated.
This B&B does not pretend or intend to be five star as it wants to be comfortable and affordable, which it is. I found the rooms and accommodation to be very comfortable, clean bright (the sun was out while I was there) and airy. I certainly did not miss having a tv in my room as the place has a lodge/collegial feel - especially for divers although some walkers seemed to quite enjoy the place as well.
Even though my experience of the Dingle Peninsula was actually quite painful I have really fond memories of the area and especially its hospitality. I firmly intend to go back as the scenery is the best I have ever seen and I really do want to dive the Atlantic. I will definitely stay at Harbour House & Leisure Centre when I do.

Jeremy, a Pacific Diver

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We are just back from our stay here. We stayed for 3 nights, could not fault the location, service and facilities. Staff were very helpful and polite. Rooms were clean and the double room that we were given had a fab view of the sea. Highly recommend the place cannot wait to get back soon!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

View from bedroom was amazing as was everything else!will def go back there!!

• Stayed July 2011
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

7 of us divers spent the June Bank Holiday in Harbour House. It was one of our best diving weekends so far and we are seasoned travellers. Staying on site made life so easy and Ronnie, Pat and Sandra just could not do enough for us. The opening statement of "make yourselves at home" really summarises the weekend. The only thing that took us away from Harbour House was the diving and what diving we had! We ate and drank in Harbour House for the weekend and the food was delicious - I'd highly recommend their seafood restaurant. The facilities in the dive centre were excellent and the boat and crew were again great fun and so helpful (especially Neil). To summarise..a perfect weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Harbour House & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!