“Pleasant Hotel in convenient Location” 5 of 5 stars

Listowel Arms Hotel
The Square, Listowel, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Listowel
Surrey
“Pleasant Hotel in convenient Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We used the Listowel Arms Hotel for a stopover en-route to Shannon Airport. Its conveniently located in Listowel near to local shops. The bar had a warm and friendly atmosphere, staff were polite and efficient, bar food was of a very good standard and reasonably priced. Our room in the exec area was noisy but think that was only due to parties taking place that night.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Kilburn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

Before forking our your hard earned cash, check whether the beds have mattress protectors. Ours didn't. Not only unhygenic, but guaranteed a cold, uncomfortable nights sleep. This and a miserly two sachets of coffee and two tea bags in room made for an uncomfortable and disappointing stay.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Munster,Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We stayed at the Listowel Arms Hotel for a wedding. My mum booked 2 double rooms over the telephone a month before the wedding and was told a deposit of €140 was needed (this is the most I've heard of a hotel looking for a deposit). She wrote a letter and sent a cheque for €140. When we arrived at the hotel, only 1 double room was available, the girl who actually was the same person my mum spoke to on the telephone, argued with my mum that she only booked 1 double room. Then when we argued back that we booked 2 rooms it was clear to see they were fully booked and didn't have a 2nd double room to offer. The cheque had been cashed by the hotel by the time we arrived to stay. We were told to wait and they would check the room could be under another name. We were asked to wait 10 mins. We went to see the double room we were given the key to, tiny, old fashioned, cracks in the wall, 2 single beds, most definitely not worth €140. After 20 mins we returned to reception to be told they were trying to sort it and there 2 options the first options was to ask the bride would the groomsmen, who were all singley booked, be prepared to share a room together and then there wud be a spare room or to move us to another hotel. We asked how long before we would know if there was a room available, at this point the hotel staff all 3 of them were told this wasn't good enough the 2 rooms were booked, we wouldn't be moving to a different hotel. The wedding planner Patrice apologised and said they hoped it wouldn't come to that and that they would try and convince the groomsmen to share.Patrice was the most apologetic and the person who sorted it out. 30 mins after speaking to her, we got a double room this room was bigger than the room my parents had, it contained a double bed and a single bed. Some guests at the hotel had room with a double bed and 2 single beds, others a room with 2 single beds, others had a double bed and a couch in their rooms and every room was charged as €140 per night. It makes no sense, some were smaller and really needed to be done up. Be very careful booking with this hotel and be careful with the room you are given

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Limerick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

We stayed during the racing festival.
Very nice place. Comfortable and would highly recommend.
Listowel itself is a nice town. adn the people are very welcoming. Plenty of things to do and some nice pubs and cafes spend the evening in. Had a lovely meal in the Off the Square cafe.

• Liked — Central Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Limerick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

The Listowel arms hotel looks nothing from the outside. Its looks small and old. Once your inside that all changes. It has a warm welcoming feeling to it. Its bright and airy and much larger then you would expect. The Bridal suite is one of the nicest I've ever seen. With a french Balcony looking out over the River and famous Listowel race course. 2 large bay windows in the Bathroom and bed room. The only bad review I could give the bridal suite is .. The hugh bed is only 2 beds pushed together. or that is how it feels anyway. there is a ridge in the middle of the bed and its very uncomfortable. A new bed would fix that problem. The hotel is just spotless. The executive suite is second to none and I would recommend it to anyone who has good taste. Its is just breath taking.
The Chef Mr Tommy Murphy is on Par with Gordon Ramsey. His food is cooked to perfection. I had 308 people sit down for a 4 course meal and not one person could complain about any aspect of there meal. The table staff work hard and deserve alot of respect for the good service that they provide.
The Bar staff in the main bar well able to work under pressure, but the staff inside the function room bar, panic and make mistakes with the bills for drinks and when giving back change. I feel that receipts should be handed back with your change so you can see how much your drinks cost.
The hotel bathrooms are not supervised during the night and the ladies restrooms tend to get messy. this is easily solved if a member of staff was in charge of this one little job.
Now The reception staff can be broken down between the men and the women. The girls who work on reception are wonderful, kind helpfull and well presented. I have a problem with one of the male staff . When I spoke to him he didn't even lift his head to answer me and ignored my questions serveral time. I will be taking this up with the managers, so I dont fell I have to go on complaining about one rude person.
This hotel is a gem in the heart of a lovely town. If I was to have my wedding day all over again I would still have it here, it had the most amazing views a lovely function, a breakfast room with so much character, it is my Favorite hotel in all of Ireland,

• Liked — The Executive suite & Bridal suite
  • Disliked — No receipts handed back with your change from the bar and messy ladies restrooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

This is a comfortable hotel with a boutique feel and great service.

We were attending a wedding at the Hotel and decided to stay on site for convenience. The wedding itself was amazing and the staff were great! If anyone is looking for venue's in the area then this is ideal and cant be faulted!

The rooms are quite small and did lack a few of the comforts you expect when travelling such as a hairdryer, shower caps and iron etc which was somewhat disappointing as we were paying 135 euro per night. The staff were lovely however and always happy to supply you with whatever was missing.

The decor is pleasant and the beds comfy. We actually requested to be moved as our room (and headboards) backed up against the lift and was quite noisy, this was not a problem and we were moved straight away.

Parking was supplied and the hotel is right in the centre of Listowel Square which is great.

The staff were lovely which goes a long way and I would definitely recommend this hotel if staying in Listowel, but do shop around for a good deal!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — size of room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

I recently stayed at the Listowel Arms while attending a relative’s wedding. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in Ireland.

The staff was wonderful! They never once missed an opportunity to impress me with their dedication to customer service. Everyone we dealt with seemed eager to help us out in anyway they could. Everyone and I mean everyone was so friendly and polite I was actually shocked by their gracious demeanor.

The food served in both the pub and restaurant was in my opinion excellent and the wait staff was exceptional. One evening a group of about 12 of us showed up at the restaurant and even though we showed up without notice we were treated to an exceptional meal. I personally ordered the Confit of Duck which I truly enjoyed. While it was not a traditional Confit preparation, I highly recommend this selection from the menu. The meal consisted of a roasted duct leg/thigh with a puff pastry encased confit of duct, fresh vegetables and mashed potatoes. The duct leg was cooked perfectly. The meat was juicy without being greasy and the skin was crisp and delicious. The confit in the puff pastry was also very tasty with the perfect blend of spices. On they day we arrived after a long trip from the states I wasn’t in the mood for a heavy meal so I opted for the seafood chowder from the pub menu. It was one of the best chowder’s I’ve ever been served. The best part of the food service was the morning breakfast. Daily breakfast is included in the price of the hotel room and includes a buffet of cold cereals, juice, milk, yogurt and fruit. In addition to the buffet you can also, at no additional cost, order from the breakfast menu. I usually ordered the bacon, egg, sausage and tomato selection. The bacon was great. It bears very little resemblance to what you would be served in the states. I would describe it as more closely resembling southern ham than typical US style bacon. Also with each breakfast the restaurant included a basket of toast and brown bread for the table. Both were great but the brown bread was awesome.

I was very pleased with my room. While it lacked a few minor amenities I would expect in a typical hotel room, the overall appeal was great. The “complaints” I have with the room is there was no trash bin in the main room, although there was a trash bin in the bathroom. There was no phonebook in and there was no pen or note paper on the desk. On the positive side the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The room as spotless and the maid service was outstanding. On each day of my stay the room was cleaned by the time I returned from morning breakfast. My room included two twin beds, desk, chair, closet and a large bathroom with a large shower. For only 85 Euro I was very impressed with the accommodations.

One of the greatest things about staying at the Listowel Arms is you don’t need a car to get around. Everything is within a minimum walking distance. Just down the block from the front door is a bus stop which we used to take day trips into Killarney, Limerick, Trale and Ballybunion. In Killarney we were able to take bus tours of Dingle and the Ring of Kerry. Both tours were great, but I enjoyed the Dingle tour the best. On this tour you are exposed to spectacular scenery and ancient architecture you simply can’t believe exists until seeing it for yourself.

There are about twenty pubs and restaurants which can be reached by foot in about five minutes. We spent a great deal of time at one pub in particular. The Shebeen is just around the corner and the atmosphere is exactly what you would expect in an Irish pub complete with friendly staff and locals who all sang Irish songs well into the night.

I would definitely stay at the Listowel Arms again and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone desiring to explore the Kerry County area of Ireland.

• Liked — The staff and the food
  • Disliked — The room was a good value but it was very basic.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Listowel Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!