“Nice pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Listowel
east yorkshire
“Nice pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed from Monday - Friday ....Rooms was clean, very spacious. Bed very comfy. Food was very nice. And service was very friendly. I will be returning on my next visit to Ireland. It is in walking distance of other nice restaurants and pubs.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We recently stayed at the Arms, and found it to be a Hugh disappointment. The only saving grace for this establishment are the staff who seem to carry on without any direction or presence, from senior management.

When we made our booking we were advised they did not provide a crib for infants which we found strange in 2013 and where our room was situated their were two additional sets of steps to contend with after coming out of the lift.

Our first impression was pleasing, greeted with a smile and check in was smooth and hassle free. We got to our room and were pleasantly surprised with the decor and freestanding bath. And we thought our stay would be pleasant, even if the reason we were back in Listowel was unpleasant as we were there to attend a funeral.
The first night passed without incident, however the next morning, was the start of our niggles; breakfast is served in a very uninspiring draughty environment which is in desperate need of refurbishment new double glazing would be a start. The breakfast itself was very mediocre although delivered with a smile, it was like being transported to another time and not in a good way.
We decided to have lunch in the hotel Bar and this was excellent and again delivered by friendly staff at reasonable prices.

Night 2 was the kicker for us - we returned to our room and went to bed in preparation for the main event of our trip. Our three week old daughter went down for the night or so we taught until about 3am when the temperature alarm on her monitor sounded to advise us the room had fallen to below 15 degrees.. When I went to phone reception to complain the phone In the room did not work, so I used my mobile to call the hotel. When I was answered and explained my plight, the person on the other end informed me "I'll turn the heating back on, sorry about that" the room managed to get to 13 degrees and as you can imagine never really returned to temperature, so little sleep was had.

On checkout there was no manager on duty, we were advised no one would be available for a few days and to email our complaint.

We feel the Listowel Arms really takes advantage of its status of being the only (loosely termed) proper hotel in the area as its only competition are B&B's, without having to travel for miles. It is not a cheap place to stay and value for money was not attained on this occasion. The really sad thing is I grew up, and went to school in the area and endorsed this hotel for many years to many people, those days are over sadly.

Listowel, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We recently held a surprise birthday party in the Listowel Arms and once again Patrice and the team pulled out all stops to ensure that we had a most amazing night. Many of us stayed over and were once again blown away by the comfort of the rooms, the hospitality of all the staff and the small details that made our night amazing. The food was second to non both at the party along with the breakfast the following morning. Everyone has been raving about it since. This hidden gem in the corner of the square in Listowel town is one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in and should not be overlooked when looking for somewhere to stay or host an event in the local area. Thanks again for an amazing time...looking for another excuse already.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Killarney, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We ate here for a family wedding a few years ago and the food on the day was absolutely gorgeous, we had another family dainner here a few weeks ago and the meal was really good. I would reccommend here for a wedding or any occasion.

tipperary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel on business last week and what a lovely experience. The staff are so friendly and helpful from reception to bar to dining room. The food was just brilliant and everywhere was so clean .l loved the old world and my room overlooked river and waterfall. Would recommend stay here .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had our Wedding in Listowel Arms Hotel on 31st of December 2012. What can I say except out of this world! From the moment we met Patrice and her staff who were dealing with all our Wedding Plans, to the morning after our Wedding, everything was dealt with in such a professional, gracious and accommodating manner. Blazing fires, beautiful Christmas trees, very tasteful flower arrangements, china delf, the smell of mulled wine, canapes and pastries to die for, not to mention the highlight of everyone's day..... the 5 course meal.... that any 5 star premises in Ireland would find hard to beat. The rooms were a touch of class, all individually decorated in a Country House, old world style. Every guest spoke about how helpful and friendly all staff memebers were and I honestly feel we were the luckiest couple to have chosen this amazing venue for our Wedding Day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

At least one of the other reviews was unimpressed with the food but I must say I had a very pleasant dining experience in the hotel and I wouldn't be the easiest to impress food-wise.

I was there recently for a dinner after a funeral. In times only-recently-past in Ireland a meal such as this was guaranteed to be pretty-low-quality carvery-style food. But at least some places are really making an effort now and this place is one of them. The vegetable soup starter was entirely-competent. Likewise the chicken-and-mushroom vol-au-vent tasted fine and was very-nicely presented in square rather than a round pastry case (that which is different is novel). Where the food became more-than-simply-competent was the main course. I had the roast beef and it was beautiful cooked (rather than roasted-into-oblivion as is so-often the case). The gravy was lovely with a fruitiness that I couldn't identify. The roasted-veg were lovely (sweetened with honey unless I'm greatly mistaken). The dessert was also lovely. Everybody was given the same selection of mini-desserts. The ice-cream was obviously from a tub (rather than home-made) but it was high-quality and I've no complaint with that. The trifle was so beautifully-presented I didn't realise that it was trifle until I ate my first bite. I wouldn't ordinarily like trifle but I liked this one it was so beautifully-executed. They had stewed apple, sweetened with cinnamon and topped with crumble in a glass dish as the final mini-dessert. A simple-enough dish I suppose but it would be easy to get wrong and they'd gotten it very-right.

The staff were also unfailingly pleasant I must say. Anytime I asked for anything they were very pleasant about it. Since a dinner of this nature can easily include service-with-a-snarl at no-extra-cost it was not lost upon me that they were as accommodating and polite as they were.

We were in the dining room with the view over the river and the racecourse which certainly didn't hurt the experience at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Listowel Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!