“Picturesque views from homestay and all round awesomeness!” 4 of 5 stars

The Ngimat Ayu House
Ulung Palang, Bario, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Bario B&B and Inns
Miri, Malaysia
“Picturesque views from homestay and all round awesomeness!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I had a lot of fun on my trip to Bario. I enjoyed taking walks and the weather was never too hot but the nights were very cold.
Food was great and the accommodation was very comfortable, clean and tidy. You can even fish in the pond in front of the home-stay and watch stars at night too, unless the mists trick you. Perfect for a weekend away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Time literally stands still and then speeds up when its time to go home. Definitely a place worth visiting over.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Johor, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

Clean rooms, nice foods prepared by owner, cosy place which you can really relax..if you expect TV, online,phone call here, sorry, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I think this is the same place I stayed, strangely I can't remember the name of it, but I recognised the name (Apoi) in the other review. Apoi, aka Scott, is an amazing chap. We'd originally hoped to stay at Jungle Blues Dream homestay having been recommended it by a couple in Miri but they were full and the owner said we'd could stay at his nephew's (Scott). I thought we'd hold out and see what was around when we arrived so declined but nevertheless there he was at the airport with a big smile and open arms so off we set and it was brilliant. We stayed 5 days and he showed us everything: he took us to a Penan village on Bario's outskirts where we ate samba (?) deer with the locals; he taught me how to fish in the village ponds (I caught two tiddlers which his mum cooked for us), he showed us what we can eat in the jungle 'supermarket' (i.e. leaves); he constantly plied us with food (pineapple curry is delicious, monkey is chewy); he arranged a guide (Remy) to take us to Pa'Lungan who was really good, he took me hunting in the jungle (we didn't catch any but good nevertheless), he treated us to gin and cards in the evening and let us ride round town on his scooter. Everyone in Bario is really hospitable but Scott gave us such a memorable experience and such amazing hospitality I'd be amazed if it could be beaten. Highly recommended/bordering on aggressive insistence. If you go to Bario go here!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Bario is breathtaking. Full stop. Trek around the jungles or just stand still and take it ALL in!

Then coming to this modern wooden long house built simply yet comfortably facing the mountains, is just the cherry on top.

This isn't a 5star resort so don't expect plush pillows, air-conditioning and bug-free. The nights can be bug-filled, bed are slightly flat and hard and electricity is on from 6-10pm everyday. And... if you are a hot shower lover as I am, especially in a place that can get chilly, there are no hot showers! GASP!

But waking up with the sun to a crisp morning and sitting having cinnamon tea on the verandah, eyes irresistibly glued to the padi field and hills landscape, is ALL worth it.
One lunch time, we were lucky enough get a visit from a hornbill who had flown in and sat curiously watching us watch it in awe!

My butt was glued to the verandah for 2 full days, I couldn't leave the mountains' sight! Luckily for me, breakfast, lunch and dinner was inclusive in the room charge.

I'd like to thank Apoi (I know you're reading! :)) for being a gentleman and great host. Fro showing us your neighborhood and for taking care of my dietary needs. For I am a vegan, primarily raw... and yes, I can be difficult to cater to. But you did wonderfully!

Bring your sweaters, socks and shawl, as it can get shockingly cold at night. OR great options is to get your drink of choice and warm yourself by the fireplace.

... What? A fireplace in the rainforest of Borneo?!?!....

Ahh, no sir, it is the highland of Bario. And I found the best view in the area ;)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Ngimat Ayu House? Share your experiences!